Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
Wow, sorry you're going through this.

Have you requested to speak with the regional service rep?
Yes, I was told RAM corporate is now handling the dealer. But we still have not heard from anyone other than the dealer. Nothing like paying for a 100k truck and being the only one left out of what/how its repaired.

dcoelho96

Reaction score
Finding out that the filter is not changed and the dealership skipped step 6 to check for tolerances before ordering parts; I have filled complaints with the NTSB and FTC. If I dont hear anything today ill start filling with Attorney's General offices and BBB. I will not be one of those people without my truck for 8 months.
I cant even get a case manager via RAM.
lmao as if you think i chose to just let the truck sit for 8 months (still waiting) i have lawyers who have sent letters to FCA (ignored) court date is about a year out (canada) so lets see what i get first settlement or my truck

what im trying to say my friend is YOU dont get to decide how long its down for thats up to the fca gods and ill tell you from experience theyre in no rush

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
lmao as if you think i chose to just let the truck sit for 8 months (still waiting) i have lawyers who have sent letters to FCA (ignored) court date is about a year out (canada) so lets see what i get first settlement or my truck

what im trying to say my friend is YOU dont get to decide how long its down for thats up to the fca gods and ill tell you from experience theyre in no rush
I fully get that. Short of showing up in MI with a big stick and grabbing the Pres, I dont think there is a anything that can be done.

CJM1123

Reaction score
Dealer has lied multiple times so far. they said the pulled the codes on the 24th, they did not. they said they ordered everything monday the 26th. I went by there at 1000 monday and service advisor looked up the ticket and said nothing had been done. I was then told that it was being pulled into a bay on wed the 28th. Instead of following the TSB, they dropped the trans pan and found debris. TSB says to drop the transmission and check for play at the input shaft to verify K1 and K2 clutch pack damage. Since they did not do that, they only ordered the K1 on the 28th. It is on a 20 day wait. Once it comes in then they will remove the trans to see if anything else is wrong and order parts at that time. I have argued left and right that the TSB is not being followed causing additional delays.

The dealer does not follow the TSB because it ties up a service bay while waiting on parts. The bad thing is, it screws the customer because they are not ordering all the parts to fix it the first time. Service manager basically told me they would let me know when my truck was done and I hav no input as to how they go about it. RAM Care has been no help. I cant get the case manager to even cal me back.

Dealing with that too. Dealer told me for the last 2 weeks that Stellantis will be reaching out with settlement options and told me 3 times (Friday, Tuesday, and yesterday) that all parts were here and I’d have it back by tomorrow. Called today and they had to overnight the snap ring, but it won’t be done until next week because they are replacing the trans on a truck that came in 2 weeks after mine. Then I asked about flushing the trans and replacing the filter and all the other stuff you guys recommended, which lead to a new trans being expedited for mine and will be done end of next week now (allegedly).

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
Dealing with that too. Dealer told me for the last 2 weeks that Stellantis will be reaching out with settlement options and told me 3 times (Friday, Tuesday, and yesterday) that all parts were here and I’d have it back by tomorrow. Called today and they had to overnight the snap ring, but it won’t be done until next week because they are replacing the trans on a truck that came in 2 weeks after mine. Then I asked about flushing the trans and replacing the filter and all the other stuff you guys recommended, which lead to a new trans being expedited for mine and will be done end of next week now (allegedly).
Good luck brother. I know one thing for sure; Stellantis is full of idiots. I remember taking my 2018 in for an oil change and it came out with a wielded nut on the track bar (TSB) making it impossible to align. Took a month to get them to ship a replacement part and have it installed.
I requested a new transmission. Dealer emailed last night and and said the trans was out of the truck. K1 is ordered and they have a K2 in stock. I asked what the reading were from the input shaft end play on step 6 of the TSB and crickets. Now, that test is probably just to see if the K1 is bad, but they should still be following the TSB. As soon as i get it back, i'll be looking to trade it for a Ford F-350. I hate to say it but I dont trust RAM anymore.

flan

Reaction score
Good luck brother. I know one thing for sure; Stellantis is full of idiots. I remember taking my 2018 in for an oil change and it came out with a wielded nut on the track bar (TSB) making it impossible to align. Took a month to get them to ship a replacement part and have it installed.
I requested a new transmission. Dealer emailed last night and and said the trans was out of the truck. K1 is ordered and they have a K2 in stock. I asked what the reading were from the input shaft end play on step 6 of the TSB and crickets. Now, that test is probably just to see if the K1 is bad, but they should still be following the TSB. As soon as i get it back, i'll be looking to trade it for a Ford F-350. I hate to say it but I dont trust RAM anymore.
Have you been on the ford forums lately? That’s a crapshoot guy.......

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
Have you been on the ford forums lately? That’s a crapshoot guy.......
Well out of the blue today, one of the 7 warranty directors at Stellantius (Denver region) called me today. we talked for a few minutes and discussed my concerns. He stated they expidited the K1 clutch pack and it should be at the dealer next week. He also said since we pull a 5th wheel, he was going to replace the whole transmission. He said he had a new Aisin in a warehouse close to Denver and it would be at the dealer tomorrow. They would put the new clutch pack in it to make sure there was not a snap ring issue, and hopefully have me ready to go next week. HTe are also reimbursing us for our car rental, and two campground stays. Needless to say I was shocked but very happy with the conclusion.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Well out of the blue today, one of the 7 warranty directors at Stellantius (Denver region) called me today. we talked for a few minutes and discussed my concerns. He stated they expidited the K1 clutch pack and it should be at the dealer next week. He also said since we pull a 5th wheel, he was going to replace the whole transmission. He said he had a new Aisin in a warehouse close to Denver and it would be at the dealer tomorrow. They would put the new clutch pack in it to make sure there was not a snap ring issue, and hopefully have me ready to go next week. HTe are also reimbursing us for our car rental, and two campground stays. Needless to say I was shocked but very happy with the conclusion.

If it's a 23 date code trans, it should be plug and play. That said, don't look a gift horse in the mouth I guess.

I take it you're still in the area? Offer still stands if you need to move the RV, but I'm unavailable the 10th-14th.

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
If it's a 23 date code trans, it should be plug and play. That said, don't look a gift horse in the mouth I guess.

I take it you're still in the area? Offer still stands if you need to move the RV, but I'm unavailable the 10th-14th.
we got in a campground that said we could stay a week and extend up to a month. Its in Greenly? Thanks for the offer though.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Unclear as to why they would want to do a full transmission replacement and then also install the K1? Something doesn’t sound right there. As @Brutal_HO said, if they do indeed get you a complete new transmission, the serial number should begin with a “3”. I’d assume any new transmissions sitting in a warehouse would be recent manufactured ones (one manufactured in 2023). The serial number is on a blue stamped metal tag on the side of the transmission case itself. I’ll post a pic below for reference. I would check that when the new unit comes in. IMG_0972.jpeg

CaptainMike

Reaction score
I got my truck back yesterday, 2 weeks to the day of the K1 failure. I loaded up the almost max payload cabover camper, which I was hauling when the failure occurred and sat in the dealership lot while waiting for the repair, and made the 6 hour trip back home. The dealership is in Fort Bragg, CA and the first leg was 35 miles of steep, winding coastal mountain road. That was a heckuva test drive and other than the trans temp running a little higher than what I'm used to (179 at the peak), the transmission performed well. The rest of the trip was through triple digit heat and was uneventful.

I had a chance to talk with the tech and he showed me the snap ring and K1 clutch pack. His thought was that the snap ring was less about correct sizing and more about not being fully seated. The slight twist in the ring supported that theory and he said he checked the K2 assembly and found that snap ring to be not fully set in its groove. A little tap with a drift punch clicked it right in. I know this goes against a lot of what we're being told, but those were his observations. Perhaps a robotic assembly glitch? The clutches were in excellent shape with no abnormal wear or burning. He said it was good that I was able to get the truck off the road and shut down immediately before things had a chance to "free-wheel" in the transmission and cause a bunch of damage. He also advised not to mess around with checking to see if reverse or other forward gears were operable unless you need to do so to get safely off of the road. Although he did not drop the pan or filter, he performed the repair according to the TSB and found no indication or suspicion of particle contamination, and having seen the clutch pack myself I'm satisfied with that.

Although having this avoidable failure was a PIA and a black eye to RAM products I'll not forget, the dealership went far and above my expectations. The owner, who apparently I went to high school with (he's a couple of years older and I didn't know him then), the service manager, parts lady, and service tech were truly nice people and did everything they could to get my truck repaired and back on the road. Even the sales guys were rooting for me. There was not one time my fairly well-tuned bullsh!t detector went off. The parts manager even put me on her grid heater relay list and will get one to me if I need it when it comes in. Heck, they even let me sleep overnight in the camper so I didn't have to pay for a hotel room in a tourist town on 4th of July Thursday. That's about the best dealership/shop experience anyone could ask for and I look forward to doing their review.

We'll see if it passes the test of time, but I'm hoping there will be no further issues with this great transmission.

Last edited:

Cseybert

Reaction score
Possible human error also. Depends how it was assembled.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I got my truck back yesterday, 2 weeks to the day of the K1 failure. I loaded up the almost max payload cabover camper, which I was hauling when the failure occurred and sat in the dealership lot while waiting for the repair, and made the 6 hour trip back home. The dealership is in Fort Bragg, CA and the first leg was 35 miles of steep, winding coastal mountain road. That was a heckuva test drive and other than the trans temp running a little higher than what I'm used to (179 at the peak), the transmission performed well. The rest of the trip was through triple digit heat and was uneventful.

I had a chance to talk with the tech and he showed me the snap ring and K1 clutch pack. His thought was that the snap ring was less about correct sizing and more about not being fully seated. The slight twist in the ring supported that theory and he said he checked the K2 assembly and found that snap ring to be not fully set in its groove. A little tap with a drift punch clicked it right in. I know this goes against a lot of what we're being told, but those were his observations. Perhaps a robotic assembly glitch? The clutches were in excellent shape with no abnormal wear or burning. He said it was good that I was able to get the truck off the road and shut down immediately before things had a chance to "free-wheel" in the transmission and cause a bunch of damage. He also advised not to mess around with checking to see if reverse or other forward gears were operable unless you need to do so to get safely off of the road. Although he did not drop the pan or filter, he performed the repair according to the TSB and found no indication or suspicion of particle contamination, and having seen the clutch pack myself I'm satisfied with that.

Although having this avoidable failure was a PIA and a black eye to RAM products I'll not forget, the dealership went far and above my expectations. The owner, who apparently I went to high school with (he's a couple of years older and I didn't know him then), the service manager, parts lady, and service tech were truly nice people and did everything they could to get my truck repaired and back on the road. Even the sales guys were rooting for me. There was not one time my fairly well-tuned bullsh!t detector went off. The parts manager even put me on her grid heater relay list and will get one to me if I need it when it comes in. Heck, they even let me sleep overnight in the camper so I didn't have to pay for a hotel room in a tourist town on 4th of July Friday. That's about the best dealership/shop experience anyone could ask for and I look forward to doing their review.

We'll see if it passes the test of time, but I'm hoping there will be no further issues with this great transmission.
I appreciate the update. I updated the spreadsheet accordingly. Glad you’re back up and running!

Danspump

Reaction score
our RAM 3500 had transmission failure. 2315 miles. how do we get added to the list? failed 6-10-23 and we are still waiting for the part to be shipped in before the dealer can fix it. super frustrating.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
our RAM 3500 had transmission failure. 2315 miles. how do we get added to the list? failed 6-10-23 and we are still waiting for the part to be shipped in before the dealer can fix it. super frustrating.
I can add you. Just need the following information (or as much as you can provide right now, and then update more later)
1. Date you ordered the truck (if applicable)

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date))

3. Date you purchased the truck

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345"

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable)

7. Were you towing at the time of failure?

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work?

9. Did reverse work?

10. What date did the transmission fail?

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair?

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts?

1ram

Reaction score
The tracking sheet is up and running. Please share. If you are on the list, please make sure your data is correct. If not, I can update. Also, if someone is not on there and would like to contribute I can add. Public has viewing and commenting rights only. Thanks!

Link to the sheet:

Add me to the list. 2022 Ram 3500 SRW, transmission went at 2,000 miles towing 11K lb travel trailer

1ram

Reaction score
I can add you. Just need the following information (or as much as you can provide right now, and then update more later)
1. Date you ordered the truck (if applicable)

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date))

3. Date you purchased the truck

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345"

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable)

7. Were you towing at the time of failure?

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work?

9. Did reverse work?

10. What date did the transmission fail?

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair?

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts?
1. 6/23/22
2. 9/24/22
3. 1/30/23
4. 2,048
5. TBD at the moment
6. NA at the moment
7. Yes
8. No
9. Yes
10. 6/30/23
11. TBD at the moment
12. TBD at the moment

Danspump

Reaction score
1. Date you ordered the truck (if applicable) June 2022

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date)) don't know because the truck is at a dealer on the other side of the state of oregon from us.

3. Date you purchased the truck.. 12/6/22

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure. 2315

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345". same as number 2 above

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable). don't know yet

7. Were you towing at the time of failure? yes a 18' boat

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work? No

9. Did reverse work? Yes

10. What date did the transmission fail? 6/10/23

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair? still at a dodge dealer

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts? they have ordered parts
thank you. i added my answers above behind each question. let me know if you can't see them. thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread