Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front spoiler

jak

Reaction score
I see some folks remove or cut the front plastic "spoiler" beneath the front bumper. Kinda like the look but am wondering if this is done for off road clearance, appearance or what? I assume Ram put it there for a reason.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I see some folks remove or cut the front plastic "spoiler" beneath the front bumper. Kinda like the look but am wondering if this is done for off road clearance, appearance or what? I assume Ram put it there for a reason.
They are there for airflow it apparently helps with fuel millage. The only reason i cut mine is to fit my plow mount otherwise i would have left it how it was.

Reactions: jak

woody284

Reaction score
I would say the only reasons people remove it is because they don’t like the look, (hang too low) or they are worried about it off-road, other than mentioned above. Google front air dam plus mpg or front air valance benefits and you will see some say they lost mpg when they removed it. I’m not fond of the look and would like to remove it but it doesn’t bother me enough to hurt my mpg. Some will argue it didn’t hurt their mpg but I’m not willing to go through the hassle to try and see myself.

Riddick

Reaction score
I removed mine in favor of the CJC intercooler guard. It's purely for cosmetics for me, not a fan of the valence hanging low. It will decrease fuel mileage without a doubt if you remove it. How much, I don't have a clue. I really don't track fuel mileage on this truck but if I had to guess I would say .5 mpg loss or so.

A member on here cut 2 inches off his stock one and it turned out pretty good. Another option outside of the options listed above is to purchase a rebel hd version.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
D
It’s not a myth it’s been proven in wind tunnel tests many times before. The flat part you are pointing out is there to force the air around the curvature of the valence and push the air to the side not under the truck
I’m not sure but wouldn’t also create a lower amount of air pressure behind the valance which may help air flow from the grille to exit the engine compartment?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Air moving around the truck and not hitting all your hangy-down parts definitely does something for fuel mileage but who cares about that? Removing it gives the look of more ground clearance which is way cooler than mpgs

Ramsomair

Reaction score
D

I’m not sure but wouldn’t also create a lower amount of air pressure behind the valance which may help air flow from the grille to exit the engine compartment?
Not sure about this. When I had my 4wd 2019 F250, it had a huge deep air dam. I replaced it with the one from the 2wd which was 1/2 the height.

44Dan44

Reaction score
Its not a myth its been proven in wind tunnel tests many times before. The flat part you are pointing out is there to force the air around the curvature of the valence and push the air to the side not under the truck
Link to the scientific testing, I’d love to learn more?

John Jensen

Reaction score
I think more important than MPG is that it protects the intercooler which gets exposed to road trash when you remove the valance..
If you want to remove it it is important to get the CJC intercooler guard.

Alligator John

Reaction score
The Rams with retractable air dams only deploy when over about 35 mph. It is probably not as effective under that speed. This may explain why some don't see a change in fuel efficiency when they first take it off. If your just driving around town and off road mostly, it's probably not a noticeable difference. If your traveling mostly highway speeds after you take it off, it would for sure save fuel. Common sense would tell me a raised truck like a power wagon and with most people going to taller 35-37 inch tires too is not going to get near the benefit of the front dam as a normal height truck. It's coming off my PW to help with approach angles. I would eventually damage it and it looks better without IMHO. If I was concerned about gas mileage, I would have bought a different truck and left the dam thing on. ;)

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The Rams with retractable air dams only deploy when over about 35 mph. It is probably not as effective under that speed. This may explain why some don't see a change in fuel efficiency when they first take it off. If your just driving around town and off road mostly, it's probably not a noticeable difference. If your traveling mostly highway speeds after you take it off, it would for sure save fuel. Common sense would tell me a raised truck like a power wagon and with most people going to taller 35-37 inch tires too is not going to get near the benefit of the front dam as a normal height truck. It's coming off my PW to help with approach angles. I would eventually damage it and it looks better without IMHO. If I was concerned about gas mileage, I would have bought a different truck and left the dam thing on. ;)
Im not sure how much fuel would be saved but i don't have the majority of mine anymore because of my plow mount now with the plow on thats a big decrease in fuel millage :D

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Which Rams have retractable air dams/ valances?

Users who are viewing this thread