Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pay load question

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I have decided to go with the Tradesman 3500 with an 8 foot box. And of course the dealership couldn't tell me what the payload was after everything was added to it. But I am sure the 3500 will give me the payload that I need.
Add your VIN on this page: https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html/vin-lookup and it will provide the payload and tow capacities as built. Subtract any equipment or persons added. I usually get a CAT scale ticket with full fuel as a driver, then get one showing the numbers when loaded.

payload_frustration

Reaction score

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Wont have a VIN yet if they just ordered it

Even then it won’t work until the truck is weighed post production, at least that’s what I assume they do to each one. Mine didn’t show a value until it was complete.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Even then it won’t work until the truck is weighed post production, at least that’s what I assume they do to each one. Mine didn’t show a value until it was complete.
Im not sure on that. I thought it could be done once a VIN was created but i have no experience on that i was just saying he wont know at least until he has a VIN other than that i do not know

payload_frustration

Reaction score
Ya they told me that it would hopefully be here in a couple of months.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You're going to be somewhere north of 3600lbs.

Well north of 3600 with a tradesman hemi, probably closer to 4000-4200 depending on options if I had to swag.

My 3500 HO limited is 3707.

Of course, the hemi is 11,400 GVWR as opposed to the Cummins 12,300 GVWR.

Nick

Reaction score
If you buy a 3500 and you decide on a larger 5 th wheel in the future you have a truck that can handle it . Get the air if you can afford it makes life simpler.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Well north of 3600 with a tradesman hemi, probably closer to 4000-4200 depending on options if I had to swag.

My 3500 HO limited is 3707.

Of course, the hemi is 11,400 GVWR as opposed to the Cummins 12,300 GVWR.
My Laramie is 3677, I guess I got 30lbs more of something than your Limited. We bought a used cabover camper last year to go with this truck and it's dry weight was listed as 3100lbs in the brochure. Turns out it's 4020lbs dry with me in the cab which puts me over by 343 (and I weigh 200). With air bags the truck handles the load really well and there's plenty of power to get it moving down the road nicely, but with another passenger, the dog, and lightly outfitted I'm guessing I'll add close to another 500lbs which would put me over the payload by close to 850lbs and over the GVWR by almost 900lbs. I am comfortable with the load, but not comfortable at all with the liability. Caveat Emptor, I suppose.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I would have said good to go on a gas 2500 and a 2,000# pin weight 5er, even if that's dry weight. But I'm also a proponent of just going with the 3500 if you're buying a heavy SRW pickup. I'll personally never buy another 2500. They have their place, just not for the average Joe pulling a camper. If a 2500 is what you already have, then fine. If you're ordering a new truck, go for the 3500 every time. Good call and enjoy!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My Laramie is 3677, I guess I got 30lbs more of something than your Limited. We bought a used cabover camper last year to go with this truck and it's dry weight was listed as 3100lbs in the brochure. Turns out it's 4020lbs dry with me in the cab which puts me over by 343 (and I weigh 200). With air bags the truck handles the load really well and there's plenty of power to get it moving down the road nicely, but with another passenger, the dog, and lightly outfitted I'm guessing I'll add close to another 500lbs which would put me over the payload by close to 850lbs and over the GVWR by almost 900lbs. I am comfortable with the load, but not comfortable at all with the liability. Caveat Emptor, I suppose.
As long as your under the axle weights there is no liability

jsalbre

Reaction score
How big is that camper? I've had 22' travel trailers that weigh less than that.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well yea truck campers are heavy usually heavier than the ultra light your 22ft must have been

CaptainMike

Reaction score
It's a Lance 1055, no slide but a dry shower. I thought I did my due diligence researching the weight and compatibility and the info from Lance stated a dry weight of 3,150lbs and recommended a SRW 3500/F350. I'm taking it to the scales in a bit to get the axle weights.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Well yea truck campers are heavy usually heavier than the ultra light your 22ft must have been
There's heavy and then there's *HEAVY*. My 22' was pretty light, it was a GeoPro so it was all Azdel walls and aluminum framing (on a steel frame underneath of course).

jsalbre

Reaction score
It's a Lance 1055, no slide but a dry shower. I thought I did my due diligence researching the weight and compatibility and the info from Lance stated a dry weight of 3,150lbs and recommended a SRW 3500/F350. I'm taking it to the scales in a bit to get the axle weights.
I think the A/C, generator, and a few other things were options on those, so probably not counted in the listed dry weight. I don't know what the options weight, but does yours have those?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
There's heavy and then there's *HEAVY*. My 22' was pretty light, it was a GeoPro so it was all Azdel walls and aluminum framing (on a steel frame underneath of course).
With these new truck campers i don't find these that heavy surprisingly really some are really heavy 5k+ lol

tchur1

Reaction score
With these new truck campers i don't find these that heavy surprisingly really some are really heavy 5k+ lol
My parents are starting to shop for truck campers right now and I was shocked to see how heavy they are. Like most 3500s cant handle some of the larger ones and you need a C&C 4500+ to properly handle them.

Users who are viewing this thread