Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carli R2 Coils on Rear of PW

jetrinka

Reaction score
Anyone done/considered putting a set of Carli's R2 coils on the rear of their Power Wagon? If I understand their website correctly the springs will lift a standard truck roughly 2-3 inches which is only slightly higher than the standard PW coils. I actually prefer a little rake. I would consider the swap because it would seem to give the PW a bit more anti-sag capacity which I would also like when my truck is hooked up to my loaded utility trailer. Anyone have any insight?

jadmt

Reaction score
Anyone done/considered putting a set of Carli's R2 coils on the rear of their Power Wagon? If I understand their website correctly the springs will lift a standard truck roughly 2-3 inches which is only slightly higher than the standard PW coils. I actually prefer a little rake. I would consider the swap because it would seem to give the PW a bit more anti-sag capacity which I would also like when my truck is hooked up to my loaded utility trailer. Anyone have any insight?
you might want to verify this with Carli but my buddy called them a year ago about doing this on his 2020 PW and they told him just adding the rear R2 coils by themselves would not work well.

Wobly

Reaction score
If you mean the CS-DMRC-14-R2 available at CJC, I am running them with the Thuren tuned shocks (TF985-24-202) on the rear. I am very happy with the ride. I still use my airbags when towing the trailer, but for the daily driving with about 400 lbs of gear in the back, I am happy with them. I have towed my 8K travel trailer without the bags, but it is more comfortable for me to stiffen up the rear even more when towing.

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
If you mean the CS-DMRC-14-R2 available at CJC, I am running them with the Thuren tuned shocks (TF985-24-202) on the rear. I am very happy with the ride. I still use my airbags when towing the trailer, but for the daily driving with about 400 lbs of gear in the back, I am happy with them. I have towed my 8K travel trailer without the bags, but it is more comfortable for me to stiffen up the rear even more.
Did you ever run the Thuren rear coils? I've got Thuren's +1 rear right now. They ride great, but boy are they soft. Adding a cap and full sized spare, and it's sagging a bit now. Looking at adding a rack on the cap, a decked, and some additional stuff, and was toying with moving to the Carli rear coils.

Wobly

Reaction score
Did you ever run the Thuren rear coils? I've got Thuren's +1 rear right now. They ride great, but boy are they soft. Adding a cap and full sized spare, and it's sagging a bit now. Looking at adding a rack on the cap, a decked, and some additional stuff, and was toying with moving to the Carli rear coils.
What you stated about the Thuren soft coils is exactly why I didn't go with them. I didn't want the sag and "squishiness". I went from OEM springs+OEM Bilsteins to OEM springs+Thuren tuned OEM length Fox 2.0 IFP to Carli +2"+Thuren tuned "extra length" Fox 2.0 IFP. The Carli springs are tall enough to give me a little rake, but with the Thuren Fox shocks they tame everything except the worst concrete seams. I still haven't found the fix for those.

jetrinka

Reaction score
What you stated about the Thuren soft coils is exactly why I didn't go with them. I didn't want the sag and "squishiness". I went from OEM springs+OEM Bilsteins to OEM springs+Thuren tuned OEM length Fox 2.0 IFP to Carli +2"+Thuren tuned "extra length" Fox 2.0 IFP. The Carli springs are tall enough to give me a little rake, but with the Thuren Fox shocks they tame everything except the worst concrete seams. I still haven't found the fix for those.
Is your profile picture with the Carli springs installed? If not would you be willing to post a picture?

Wobly

Reaction score
Is your profile picture with the Carli springs installed? If not would you be willing to post a picture?
The attached picture is on Cottonwood pass at sunset. This is with the Carli R2 springs.

Attachments

• PW on Cottonwood pass 27 May 22.jpg
    PW on Cottonwood pass 27 May 22.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 208

jetrinka

Reaction score
The attached picture is on Cottonwood pass at sunset. This is with the Carli R2 springs.
It looks great and I see the rake. (i like some rake)

So if I understood you correctly you have the R2 springs, Thuren shocks and some bags in the back? Is the front stock? Rest of the suspension is stock? Thinking I may go this route.

And did you notice increased load carrying capacity? Less sagging?

Wobly

Reaction score
It looks great and I see the rake. (i like some rake)

So if I understood you correctly you have the R2 springs, Thuren shocks and some bags in the back? Is the front stock? Rest of the suspension is stock? Thinking I may go this route.

And did you notice increased load carrying capacity? Less sagging?
I have the Thuren 1/2" springs and the Thuren Fox 2.0 resi's up front.
Definitely less sagging in the rear with the Carli springs

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Wobly

Reaction score
In the interest of causing chaos and discontent, here is a picture of my rear suspension setup. I have the Carli R2 coils (CS-DMRC-14-R2 available at CJC) and the Thuren tuned shocks (TF985-24-202). The airbags are Timber Grove (because I bought them cheap from a guy) and Daystar cradles. I couldn't stand the "bag slap" even at 0 psi, so I vacuum my bags up with a cheap Amazon hand vacuum pump. (evacuator?) I also have the Thuren rear trackbar. This was the other day when I was installing the Powerstop Z36 rotors and pads.

Attachments

• Rear brakes and airbag setup.jpg
    Rear brakes and airbag setup.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 162

UglyViking

Reaction score
@Wobly, thanks for the info. I'm looking at doing bags and cradles on my 2500 as well for towing. I'll be interested in seeing how bad the slap is, but curious if it's something you noticed daily driving on only on trails?

Also, would be interested if you find those powerstop rotors and pads any better than the OEM. I've been looking at the SSBC upgraded brake kit (link) because it's one of the few I've seen that will work with OEM size, and thus can fit 17s (hopefully).

Wobly

Reaction score
@Wobly, thanks for the info. I'm looking at doing bags and cradles on my 2500 as well for towing. I'll be interested in seeing how bad the slap is, but curious if it's something you noticed daily driving on only on trails?

Also, would be interested if you find those powerstop rotors and pads any better than the OEM. I've been looking at the SSBC upgraded brake kit (link) because it's one of the few I've seen that will work with OEM size, and thus can fit 17s (hopefully).
The slap was mainly on the trails, but our roads are so bad that it caused noise when driving normally.
The Powerstop brakes do have more "bite" when braking over OEM. I'll probably go up in the mountains this weekend and see how they are coming back down.

UglyViking

Reaction score
The slap was mainly on the trails, but our roads are so bad that it caused noise when driving normally.
The Powerstop brakes do have more "bite" when braking over OEM. I'll probably go up in the mountains this weekend and see how they are coming back down.
Eager to hear your thoughts on the brakes. I've heard the powerstop brakes are awesome, but don't last quite as long as OEM (which I don't mind if I get better performance) and squeak (which would be a big no go).

Let me know where you end up if you don't mind!

jetrinka

Reaction score
Reviving this thread because I am seriously contemplating trying just the rear R2 springs. @Wobly thank you again for your pictures - I like how your truck looks but don't really want to put any lift in the front like your Thuren .5" springs. Did you happen to take before and after measurements of the rear? Carli advertised 2-3" of lift on a regular truck.

I am emailing back and forth with Carli and they said they don't have any PW specific measurements.

I do own one of the rear heavier PW's with the RamBoxes in the back. Its not a crazy job to swap rear springs so I might just try it out and if I don't like it sell the springs at a slight loss.

Wobly

Reaction score
I didn't do any before measurements on the rear, but I would say that the Carli R2 springs raised the rear 1.5'-2". I carry a lot of gear in the bed, so that definitely affects the actual height. I have emptied the bed and felt like my truck was so light and airy! :p
And just to clarify, I didn't put the Thuren .5" springs on to raise the front, I was looking for better handling. The Thuren front springs were stiffer than the OEM springs. I am happy with my setup as it is now. The only thing that is still the Achilles heel of these trucks are the concrete expansion joints on the highway. Those just bounce me all over the place!

aaaslayer

Reaction score
If you mean the CS-DMRC-14-R2 available at CJC, I am running them with the Thuren tuned shocks (TF985-24-202) on the rear. I am very happy with the ride. I still use my airbags when towing the trailer, but for the daily driving with about 400 lbs of gear in the back, I am happy with them. I have towed my 8K travel trailer without the bags, but it is more comfortable for me to stiffen up the rear even more when towing.
So I'm on the same boat as you, or trying to be. I have a 2021 Power Wagon, Full Thuren front suspension 1.5" coils, overland shocks, track bar.

Rear I have Thuren STOCK HEIGHT coils but softer rate than oem
Overland shocks, track bar, longer end links.

I added a pop top camper, rigd tire carrier, and full 37" spare. I have sag I want to address. Was looking at getting Carli R2 coils for the rear, but was wondering if my Thuren Overland shocks would be okay with that setup. I would hate to have to buy new shocks if I don't have to. You mentioned you are running Thuren Fox shocks in the rear, but those are rated for oem or up to 1.5" lift in the rear and the Carli springs are 2-3" in the rear.

How does your truck ride? I want to pull the trigger on the R2 coils but afraid it'll ride like crap since the shocks are valved for those stiffer Carli coils.

Wobly

Reaction score
How does your truck ride? I want to pull the trigger on the R2 coils but afraid it'll ride like crap since the shocks are valved for those stiffer Carli coils.
Other than the concrete expansion joints, I am very happy with the ride of my truck now. The extra weight isn't a problem for the Carli R2 springs. I am using the Thuren Fox 2.0 IFP long shocks from CJC Offroad. (TF985-24-202)

Trail_Wagon

Reaction score
In case you have seen it; check out https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?...ope-a-2022-power-wagon-build.8545/post-241571

Using the Fox DSC shocks that were just released, he's provided positive feedback. I really want Thuren spings in Front, Carli R2 in rears; but OCD has me wanting the same shock on all corners ... this might be a possible solution.
I would love to say that the Fox 2.5 with DSC completely smoothed out the concrete expansion joint issue that all hd trucks have to deal with, but it didn't.
It is much better, the truck doesn't hop or bounce, and certainly doesn't feel like it's out of control. It's damped down to the point of being slightly annoying, but tolerable. My wife calls the roads "jiggle fat roads"

Users who are viewing this thread