Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black smoke and the EPA

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
The same people who love DPF also are tree huggers around here until they get to get to fix one or a def tank. Keep Being obedient and reach in your wallet.

senecagreen

Reaction score
The same people who love DPF also are tree huggers around here until they get to get to fix one or a def tank. Keep Being obedient and reach in your wallet.

Who are these people around here that you are calling tree huggers? I haven't seen the statement yet in a thread, " I love my DPF" lol but haven't been on the forum that long so probably missed it. I forget the word for the situation where someone claims to be a tree hugger yet drives a diesel. Surely they would get kicked off the tree hugger forum?

We have gone from no pollution controls to the pcv valve, cat convertor, fuel injection and now an array of technology trying to limit emmissions because there are so many more people and drivers on the road since those days.

Diesels make more power than ever and emit less pollutants. Repairing or replacing emmission parts is very expensive and with inflation I bet the prices are even higher now. Yea, that sucks. Not looking forward to that.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as the EPA is restricted in its often outlandish reach and from issuing crazy outrageous and egregious daily "fines" and demands for ranchers and landowners for doing what the EPA often falsely claims is harmful or unapproved use of their own land, I say having clean air and water for me and my kids and grandkids is a good thing.

If that makes me a tree hugger in someone's misguided reality, so be it.

FWIW, I hunt, fish (well not so much as hunt), and enjoy clean water and air for me and my tasty critters too.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The EPA is a fraud organization built on lining corporate pockets by an unelected group of nitwits. While I don’t roll coal, a haze of soot does put a smile on my face. If you don’t like it, go to canada and leave our free country alone.
Its illegal here too and we dont want em, send em to mexico!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I think after 21 years of service I've earned the right to be here, and to have a say on the way I'd like my country to be.
As great it is that you served your country it does not put you above any other citizen you chose to defend. In my experience the most respected retired service members are the ones who never mention they served as they are not looking to be praised or congratulated.

There are tons of people who want to make the same sacrifice but cant due to many reasons such as medical issues or other things.

Don't take this as an attack on you as that is not my intention as i hold a high respect for service members as most of my family and friends have served for many years and i have lost friends overseas.

But there is no need for you to continually mention your 21 years of service like you regularly do

arx237

Reaction score
Some jobs more than others but usually all you really needed to do to pull off 20 years is look good enough on paper. I know a few that retired and pretty much did nothing for the service. I doubt they could lick an ice cream cone as competently as our current president but man did they look good to the boards.

I wouldn't use time served or awards as a flex unless I had a CMH.

jsalbre

Reaction score
As great it is that you served your country it does not put you above any other citizen you chose to defend. In my experience the most respected retired service members are the ones who never mention they served as they are not looking to be praised or congratulated.

There are tons of people who want to make the same sacrifice but cant due to many reasons such as medical issues or other things.

Don't take this as an attack on you as that is not my intention as i hold a high respect for service members as most of my family and friends have served for many years and i have lost friends overseas.

But there is no need for you to continually mention your 21 years of service like you regularly do

Some jobs more than others but usually all you really needed to do to pull off 20 years is look good enough on paper. I know a few that retired and pretty much did nothing for the service. I doubt they could lick an ice cream cone as competently as our current president but man did they look good to the boards.

I wouldn't use time served or awards as a flex unless I had a CMH.
No disrespect or attack assumed, and no flex intended. I’m not retired, I’m actually still serving and plan to until they make me retire.

I only call it out when someone is claiming I either don’t like my country, or should leave because I disagree with that person’s opinion. The last time I mentioned my service was when someone was complaining that a company mentioned veteran status and people using alternate pronouns for themselves in the same sentence. It seemed relevant in that case.

You make a good point though, perhaps I’ve mentioned it too much as of late. My service has been taking up a lot more of my life than usual lately so it’s been top of my mind. My apologies if it came across as me thinking I was better than anyone.

Every citizen has an equal right to say what they want, and to want certain things from their county, no matter that others may disagree with them, and no matter if they’ve served or not. That’s the great thing about living here, we don’t have classes of citizens. I assume Canada is similar in that regard.

Last edited:

Ironsides77

Reaction score
No disrespect or attack assumed, and no flex intended. I’m not retired, I’m actually still serving and plan to until they make me retire.

I only call it out when someone is claiming I either don’t like my country, or should leave because I disagree with that person’s opinion. The last time I mentioned my service was when someone was complaining that a company mentioned veteran status and people using alternate pronouns for themselves in the same sentence. It seemed relevant in that case.

You make a good point though, perhaps I’ve mentioned it too much as of late. My service has been taking up a lot more of my life than usual lately so it’s been top of my mind. My apologies if it came across as me thinking I was better than anyone.

Every citizen has an equal right to say what they want, and to want certain things from their county, no matter that others may disagree with them, and no matter if they’ve served or not. That’s the great thing about living here, we don’t have classes of citizens. I assume Canada is similar in that regard.
Someone as well spoken as yourself could easily word things to get their point across without ever mentioning their service.

I wont voice my opinion whether I agree with it or not because it doesn't matter, very little I say does matter haha

In the end you are your own man and by golly, its a free country! :)

jsalbre

Reaction score
Someone as well spoken as yourself could easily word things to get their point across without ever mentioning their service.

I wont voice my opinion whether I agree with it or not because it doesn't matter, very little I say does matter haha

In the end you are your own man and by golly, its a free country! :)
I appreciate that. Sometimes my emotions get the best of me and I respond without much thought.

Really in the end I think we’d all (the world, not just us in this thread) do better if we took a moment to consider that not everyone around us has the same abilities, lifestyle, and life experiences as we do, before we respond or take action. We’ve all got a lot more in common than we think, and we’ve been trained throughout history to attack ideas presented by “the others” without looking to see if there’s a situation in which we might all be happy. This is the way our dear leaders of every political persuasion want it though, because our disagreements keep them in power.

Ok, enough philosophizing, let’s talk about trucks!

Last edited:

Enve46

Reaction score
What's interesting is every one of us in this thread sees the EPA the exact same way. The one difference is there's a group who has accepted the fact that unfortunately, a select few have made it more difficult on everyone BUT we are still within the same class, party, or whatever you want to call it. Like I said previously, we can't sit back and point fingers to coal-rolling idiots and blame them, they're the same as us in the eyes of the EPA. So attacking them, pointing blame, etc does NOTHING for our cause against the overreach. Every group has a select few that the majority can't stand, coal rollers are ours. In my opinion, reporting them only strengthens the EPA's position. Rather, go hunt the fawkers down, slap their flatbill hat off their head, and talk some sense into them if at all possible. Also, tuners shouldn't even offer it as an option, but they do

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Also, tuners shouldn't even offer it as an option, but they do
im not sure if you know how tuning works but high end tuners dont have smoke tunes and depending on mods like a large single turbo you will always have large amounts of low end smoke until the turbo spools one of the many reasons compounds or superchargers are great is almost no smoke.

Its the EPA killing off most of the highend tuners that has actually allowed cheap offshore companys to sell terrible dirty tunes for the deletes

Enve46

Reaction score
im not sure if you know how tuning works but high end tuners dont have smoke tunes and depending on mods like a large single turbo you will always have large amounts of low end smoke until the turbo spools one of the many reasons compounds or superchargers are great is almost no smoke.

Its the EPA killing off most of the highend tuners that has actually allowed cheap offshore companys to sell terrible dirty tunes for the deletes
If you see I said "tuners", not high-end tuners. Also, I'm going to assume the majority of the asshats we are all talking about don't have large single-turbo setups.
Also, what was your point in quoting my response if we both agree that EPA overreach is the problem?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
A little off topic but, thought I'd share. NYC actually pays people to record idling trucks and turn them in - been going on for a while. Fighting the tickets is a PIA and they're not cheap. I've had drivers tell me they see people watching them for when they're about to pull over for a stop.

@Gondul would definitely approve! He's a fan of the Gestapo cant wait for it to grow (even more) in the US.

Dave01

Reaction score
Ok at the risk of a new guy being flamed I'll give my 2 cents ....

I don't dislike the EPA. I'm old enough to know what the pre-EPA industrial situation looked like. Local rivers could be lit on fire or turned interesting colors at times. Raw sewage pumped into rivers and lakes. Air choked with soot from coal plants. Heavy metals from various fuels being emitted unchecked. To me, the EPA was a needed force to bring things into some sort of responsible method for keeping clean air and water. I do consider myself an environmentalist, but then again I drive a truck that gets 14 mpg. It's a balance and the way I see it if we all try to some extent we don't have to be perfect.

Is there over-reach, or mismanagement? Yes, at times there is. I happen to agree with the general thoughts on this thread, that the dpf push has reduced efficiency and raised costs in a way that isn't correctly evaluated. Some of that overreach is the EPA, some is Congress and administrations directing the agency. It doesn't make it all bad, just in need of better leadership and some checks on power. Another glaring example is ethanol policy, it's not a good solution but was pushed so hard that it's here to stay.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Ok at the risk of a new guy being flamed I'll give my 2 cents ....

I don't dislike the EPA. I'm old enough to know what the pre-EPA industrial situation looked like. Local rivers could be lit on fire or turned interesting colors at times. Raw sewage pumped into rivers and lakes. Air choked with soot from coal plants. Heavy metals from various fuels being emitted unchecked. To me, the EPA was a needed force to bring things into some sort of responsible method for keeping clean air and water. I do consider myself an environmentalist, but then again I drive a truck that gets 14 mpg. It's a balance and the way I see it if we all try to some extent we don't have to be perfect.

Is there over-reach, or mismanagement? Yes, at times there is. I happen to agree with the general thoughts on this thread, that the dpf push has reduced efficiency and raised costs in a way that isn't correctly evaluated. Some of that overreach is the EPA, some is Congress and administrations directing the agency. It doesn't make it all bad, just in need of better leadership and some checks on power. Another glaring example is ethanol policy, it's not a good solution but was pushed so hard that it's here to stay.
You're not the only one. I don't dislike the EPA either. It's done some great things for our environment, and we'd be in even worse shape without it.

Users who are viewing this thread