Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black smoke and the EPA

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Do they set up road blocks and do equipment checks on bikes?
If it's just a yearly inspection it's a quick job to swap a bikes pipe.
Yes they do. And also have people reporting them.

On a side note, CARB is even worse than the EPA.

Had a '90 Chevy truck. V6. Bought some go fats goodies for the motor. All of them said not for highway use in Kommieforina. But I put them on anyways. Went in for my smog check. truck ran cleaner than it did when brand new. :rolleyes:

Wife's '04 Chevy truck, CATs went bad. Had to replace them. Even a CAT approved for new york still is not good enough for CARB. Talk to my exhaust guy, he says there is an engine code on the air filter that he needs to tell which CAT I need. Said it should be xxyyzz for the 5.3 Oh, I have the stock filter housing at home. Go look and mine has number yxzyxz. HU??? Call him up and he says he's never heard of that one. Do you have the 5.3? yes. Only difference we could come up with was I had the tow package with high flow air filter and 4.10 gears. Go to look up to find a CAT. Only one company was authorized to make and sell a CAT for my motor code. But a normal 5.3 truck motor without the tow package had several venders. What a pain to try and get a CAT for it. And when I took the truck in for smog, yes, the guy crawled under the truck to look for the number and put it in his machine.

Follow the money. That's all I can say.

mcarey

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of MYOFB (mind your own F*ng business)
I too enjoy this mindset. My only gripe with it is when people do things that directly (and negatively) impact others, and expect everyone else to just be okay with it.

For example, last year my neighbor asked to use my second driveway to store a dumpster in while he was doing some remodel work. That was great as I didn't mind helping him out, it kept it off the road, and I got to toss in a few things that I'd been meaning to get rid of. However him launching **** into it at 6AM, or well into the middle of the night, was not okay. Heaving a toilet into an empty can makes an absolute racket, and woke up everyone in my house. Thankfully that was a pretty easy discussion.

Similarly, if you want to roll coal or have an ear deafening exhaust on your car have at it in your own privacy. But when you're around others, it doesn't hurt to be respectful.

My neighbor just up the road has a valved Corvette with a ton of work done to it. The car is dumb loud. But he runs it closed whenever in the neighborhood. He could tell everyone to MYOFB, but instead he's just a decent person.

On second thought, I suppose the way I see it is I have no problems minding my own business all the time. Just don't make your business, mine.

Last edited:

senecagreen

Reaction score
Colorado has a strip on the shoulder for them in the mountains where we were and every cyclist except one we saw was using it. No wonder they were looking when they heard my truck coming. lol and I'm stock

tchur1

Reaction score
Yeah, god forbid someone would want some exercise. How dare they.

This is why on the rare occasions I ride on the road (I'm a mountain biker 90% of the time) I keep my GoPro running.
Pretty crazy but I own a Ram and cycle about 1500 miles a year on the road. I do my best to respect the rules of the road and would expect the same from others. Nothing worse then some asshat in a diesel rolling coal as Im climbing a pass.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Could also say nothing worse than asshats cyclists with no common sense, don't follow the rules thinking they own the road or they're special. Asshats come in all shapes and forms, blowing black smoke included.

Papa_smurf

Reaction score
Only times i'd ever want to roll coal would be when passing a group of cyclists.
Of course I was joking, my truck is a stock 22, so all the climate saving goodies are equipped and functional.

However, if they weren't.....

jetrinka

Reaction score
Of course I was joking, my truck is a stock 22, so all the climate saving goodies are equipped and functional.

However, if they weren't.....
Is that what happened to the female smurf population? Somebody rolled coal and discovered female smurfs were deathly allergic?

Redbovine

Reaction score
My ‘97 5.9 Cummins will blow smoke while pulling and it’s not turned up. I just can’t stand the coal rolling or the Carolina squats ruining a good truck.

Ironsides77

Reaction score
People supporting a system like this is what enables over reach.
If they aren’t hurting you then leave it be. People will do crazy/thoughtless stuff and their time will come. Visit a couple major cities and ride with some fire/ems crews and your mind will be blown.

Reporting someone for passing you in a lowered truck that is dumping coal? Give me a break.

jsalbre

Reaction score
People supporting a system like this is what enables over reach.
If they aren’t hurting you then leave it be. People will do crazy/thoughtless stuff and their time will come. Visit a couple major cities and ride with some fire/ems crews and your mind will be blown.

Reporting someone for passing you in a lowered truck that is dumping coal? Give me a break.
But they *are* hurting you. That's the point. Have you never seen smog, or tried to breathe in a city with heavy air pollution?

Ironsides77

Reaction score
But they *are* hurting you. That's the point. Have you never seen smog, or tried to breathe in a city with heavy air pollution?

Have you seen the areas where they mine lithium? Have you researched how many billions of gallons of fuel are used each year to make electric vehicles?

I lived in SoCal for 6 years.

The air quality is much better now then it was in the 80’s and 90’s.

senecagreen

Reaction score
Have you seen the areas where they mine lithium? Have you researched how many billions of gallons of fuel are used each year to make electric vehicles?

I don't drive a ev or ride a bicycle. I haven't had anyone deliberately roll coal on me riding my motorcycle. If they did yea I would be pissed and it's a good thing there is a alternative way to handle it.

Deliberately rolling coal on people is stupid, irresponsible, disrespectful and the reason why the epa is cracking down. People haven't changed and people are still inclined to handle things the way they did 100 years ago and some people still insist on learning things the hard way.

We all have done stupid things in our youth. Thankfully we lived thru it.

jsalbre

Reaction score

I'm not sure how either of those points make rolling coal or polluting trucks ok. That's the same argument little Billy uses with his mom when she asks why he pushed his little brother and he says because Tommy next door pushed his little brother.

Air quality may be better than it was in some places, but it's worse in others, and it can still be better everywhere. We all breathe the air and we should all be doing what we can to make it better. Yeah, we drive big trucks, and I love the sound and power of a big engine, but if there were a way to make it pollute less or use less fuel I'd be all over that.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
The EPA is a fraud organization built on lining corporate pockets by an unelected group of nitwits. While I don’t roll coal, a haze of soot does put a smile on my face. If you don’t like it, go to canada and leave our free country alone.

jsalbre

Reaction score
The EPA is a fraud organization built on lining corporate pockets by an unelected group of nitwits. While I don’t roll coal, a haze of soot does put a smile on my face. If you don’t like it, go to canada and leave our free country alone.
Like all other cabinet-level positions the EPA administrator is appointed by the president, who is an elected official. Every president since Nixon has appointed one. If it weren't for the EPA most of the country would look like much of the West does during fire season.

I suggest the opposite. If you don't like clean air, go to Bangladesh, Pakistan, or Chad and leave our free country alone.

Edit: Irrelevant comment removed.

Last edited:

MEGA HO

Reaction score
We don't want those roll coalers nitwits in Canada either.

Users who are viewing this thread