Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED Headlight option

Distillusion

Reaction score
Some guys have talked in the past about trying to get the higher-trim LED headlights onto the lower-trim models that came with halogens. I just ran across this video about the Morimoto XB headlight sets. Nice features, a sequenced startup and sequential turn signals, plus the Morimotos are super bright. I did a search and they run $1200 - $1500 per set, so they are a little more expensive than the Mopars. But thought I'd share them here just in case someone is interested.

MikeXM

Reaction score
On the other forum, it seems like the AlphaRex are prefered over the Morimoto . They are much brighter, better built and cheaper... That is what they say.

Squatch

Reaction score
They don’t make alpha rex for the HD in this model year yet.

oaklandopen

Reaction score
Parts of that video are suspect. Some of the AlphaRex scenes looked overall brighter than the Morimoto scenes

And the morimotos were different than the first post since there were only 2 projectors vs 3

Not a fanboi, just saying

MikeXM

Reaction score
Parts of that video are suspect. Some of the AlphaRex scenes looked overall brighter than the Morimoto scenes

And the morimotos were different than the first post since there were only 2 projectors vs 3

Taking constant exposure video to compare lights is not easy. Especially if you add the drone footage in the variable. I've made lights comparison videos before (off-road) and they never turn up great tbh. At least, it never showed what I was seeing in real life.

So I understand your point, but you should consider more the commentary than the video itself. There was another video review I have seen and they were saying basically the same thing. You might find it on youtube.

(BTW I don't have a horse in that discussion. Never heard of those companies before like 3 days ago...)

Distillusion

Reaction score

The 2nd video was on a Ram 1500. @SQUATCH is right, Alpha Rex doesn't make anything for the Ram HDs.
The Morimotos for the 1500 only have 2 projectors. The Alpha Rex Novas have 4 projectos, and their "Pros" have 2 projectors, like the Morimotos.

The Morimoto XBs for the RAM HDs only come with 3 projectors.

I'm not endorsing anything, either. I was just doing some light pod researching and came across the Morimotos for the HDs. Up until then I hadn't seen anyone making a full replacement assembly for the HDs. There might be more around, I just hadn't noticed.

If anyone decides to try out the Morimotos, please share the results.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
It’s been 2 years who tried either? Alpha or Morimoto? I absolutely hate my chrome plated halogens

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Before ordering my Limited, I've considered a fully optioned out Bighorn (didn't like Laramie trim) and there was an option to go with LED headlights I believe. Factory installed is probably a better option than aftermarket headlights. I'm sure it's possible to order mopar parts and do the upgrade, not sure how expensive though, adding accessories after the fact is more expensive than adding accessories during the build.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Before ordering my Limited, I've considered a fully optioned out Bighorn (didn't like Laramie trim) and there was an option to go with LED headlights I believe. Factory installed is probably a better option than aftermarket headlights. I'm sure it's possible to order mopar parts and do the upgrade, not sure how expensive though, adding accessories after the fact is more expensive than adding accessories during the build.
Yea OEM LED is always a solid option. Unfortunately, LED isn’t an option on a tradesman.. However, I’ve heard that these two options (Morimoto & AlphaRex) have better usable light output than factory. The cost is pretty much the same. I don’t know if I’ll get any kind of warranty from OEM headlights bought after the fact.. these both have 2 & 5yr warranties.. haven’t made up my mind quite yet.. but these aftermarkets look nice

Capital E

Reaction score
I bought the Morimoto XB LED headlights on a black Friday special last year. I've had them installed for a few months now. These put out a ton of light and have a really sharp cutoff to not blind oncoming traffic. Super high quality (they should be for the price). I have no worries about warranty issues. The stock halogens are a joke.
IMG_3124.jpg
IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

hookedup2407

Reaction score
On the other forum, it seems like the AlphaRex are prefered over the Morimoto . They are much brighter, better built and cheaper... That is what they say.

All that light in the foreground seems like it would impede anything at a distance.. it doesn’t look like a good distribution of light.. i was skeptical when i saw this since the YouTubers seemed to put more emphasis on cosmetics and start up sequence and not necessarily beam pattern and usable light.. I’m looking at installing either the OEM projectors or Morimoto

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
All that light in the foreground seems like it would impede anything at a distance.. it doesn’t look like a good distribution of light.. i was skeptical when i saw this since the YouTubers seemed to put more emphasis on cosmetics and start up sequence and not necessarily beam pattern and usable light.. I’m looking at installing either the OEM projectors or Morimoto
Morimoto is great the ones in the video seemed poorly aimed or tampered with as every morimoto product i have used was always top notch especially in my HID projector retrofits

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Yea OEM LED is always a solid option. Unfortunately, LED isn’t an option on a tradesman.. However, I’ve heard that these two options (Morimoto & AlphaRex) have better usable light output than factory. The cost is pretty much the same. I don’t know if I’ll get any kind of warranty from OEM headlights bought after the fact.. these both have 2 & 5yr warranties.. haven’t made up my mind quite yet.. but these aftermarkets look nice
OEM LED is a simple option with AlfaOBD. I have OEM Laramie hradlights and fogs on my tradesman. I think i paid around $900 for the pair new from dealer.20210616_082524.jpg

hookedup2407

Reaction score
That
OEM LED is a simple option with AlfaOBD. I have OEM Laramie hradlights and fogs on my tradesman. I think i paid around $900 for the pair new from dealer.View attachment 44683
That’s a great price!! From what I’ve looked at the reflectors are 1700$ for the pair (night edition) and 985$ each for night edition Projectors.. i can’t seem to win.. found a post from last year where guys got the projectors for 1k a set.. I’d jump all over that.. but i can’t bring myself to spend 1k+ on aftermarkets even if they are morimoto.. I’ve read and seen countless issues guys had with them.. they either love em or hate em

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Morimoto is great the ones in the video seemed poorly aimed or tampered with as every morimoto product i have used was always top notch especially in my HID projector retrofits
Yes i actually thought that the MM had more usable light whereas the AR was just a big blob of light.. MM are pricey now.. 1700$ for the XB and 1k for the hybrids.. that’s a lot of cheese either way you slice it..

Users who are viewing this thread