Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So my wife ruined it for me ……

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Jeep claims you can take on 30 inches of water and I have done a few crossings during the monsoon season here with water splashing above e the hood on my JK with no issues when it was stock.

I really do t see many 3/4 or one ton truck owners doing that unless it's an older truck maybe doing a lot of wash crossings here...trails are tight for full size trucks around here. There are a few crawlers that are full-sized broncos and a few pickups...but they have to be picky about he trails they run.
These were more tj/yjs but there are small river crossings and over 30” of water in the center…. But at the same point the snorkel cost and looks are much better than the cost and the looks of a hydrolocked/blown engine

flan

Reaction score
How good are the seals for the cab doors? Water coming in to the floorboards would cause some issues.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
How good are the seals for the cab doors? Water coming in to the floorboards would cause some issues.
They are double sealed it should be pretty good my 11 1500 never had any water come in i could not tell you with my 19

BadRam3500

Reaction score
I wanted it more for the other attachment that goes on top that filters dust better . But I can’t unsee it haha .
I guess I save for a turbo or gears to help spin the 42’s
The truck was built in mind to ship it to the west coast (I’m in florida ) and drive to Alaska .
It’s the family road trip vehicle so we frequent national parks and try to do light off roading whenever possible. I’ve over built it to be a forever truck basically.

Attachments

• 97F225A9-CF04-4A8A-83EB-75539F174A23.jpeg
    97F225A9-CF04-4A8A-83EB-75539F174A23.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 492FAA60-34E5-4B8F-B5CE-94AB0666C4AA.jpeg
    492FAA60-34E5-4B8F-B5CE-94AB0666C4AA.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 19

sstoner911

Reaction score
These were more tj/yjs but there are small river crossings and over 30” of water in the center…. But at the same point the snorkel cost and looks are much better than the cost and the looks of a hydrolocked/blown engine

True, but most guys running snorkels are the same guys who buy a winch and never use it for anything,

sstoner911

Reaction score
I wanted it more for the other attachment that goes on top that filters dust better . But I can’t unsee it haha .
The truck was built in mind to ship it to the west coast (I’m in florida ) and drive to Alaska .
It’s the family road trip vehicle so we frequent national parks and try to do light off roading whenever possible. I’ve over built it to be a forever truck basically.

It can filter any better than stock - right? I bet those filters are high flow.

jadmt

Reaction score
I am an aev fanboy. Live nextdoor to the r&d have had several aev suspensions and other parts and have benefited by having a truck they needed to test fit a few things but I have never been a fan of the snorkel. A buddy had one on his jeep and we had identical builds except for the snorkel and I had slightly bigger tires ie he had bfg km 35's and I had Toyo rt 35's both on aev wheels and to the speed limiter I would slightly pull him. We never did deep water crossings tho.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Personally, I both like and dislike the snorkel, in the same way I like and dislike a cap, or an aftermarket bumper, etc. I think as others have called out, 90% of people that install a snorkel don't actually need it. There are a lot, a lot, of mall crawlers that rarely see dirt but love the extreme off road look. There are also a lot of guys who like to dress up like ex-special force guys, these guys often overlap too!

All that said, who really cares. I think it's pretty cheap insurance, even if you're not crossing water often, a single water crossing gone wrong will cost you orders of magnitude more money in an engine replacement than that snorkel cost. So, "cheap-ish" insurance, all things considered. The cheaper option is just stay outside of deep water, or you know, walk it first (which you really should be doing regardless).

I think they look cool, I may get one if I keep the truck, but it's way down the list as I've not been anywhere near close enough to need it and I'll just stay away from water crossings for the time being.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
Hey man, whatever trips your trigger. Who cares what the wifey thinks?

It's obviously not for functionality but if you think it looks badass, then it looks badass.

I'm personally not into it but I'd spend $500 on that snorkel before I'd spend $5k on great big tires and shiny wheels, and look how many guys do that. That's purely for looks and not functionality. I've never seen factory tires and wheels that were not perfectly functional.

To each their own. People that don't like it don't have to look at it.
I am sorry but I just cannot agree with ''never seen factory tires not perfectly functional''... the amount of threads and overall news that has come out about different OEM's tires they put on and class action law suits on some extreme cases for other vehicles. Let alone if you plan to use those stock transforces on anything other than pavement.. I would not put my trust to keep my family safe off road with those things the only thing keeping me stuck 6 hours from cell service.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
So after waiting so long for the AEV snorkel to come out for my 2021 prospector- look - alike
I decided to show a pic to my wife of said snorkel and ask if she liked it .
“Yuck, why would you put that on ?”
I was like , “it’s badass”
She was having none of that .
She said it looked gay .
She asked me why would I put something like that on my truck that looks so tough .
After some back and fourth she finally explains why it looks gay to her …..
She said it looked like that chef “salt bae” sprinkling salt on a steak.
After cracking up for a while now I’ve come to the realization that I cannot unsee that **** lmao .
So basically I bought the truck solely to make it look like a prospector XL and have a snorkel and she killed it lmao
So…..I’ll dive in here for a sec….warning, wet blanket alert….

The shape of the “salt chef’s” arm and the snorkel are remarkably similar and that is damn funny on its own!

What I don’t get is the use of “gay” there - what is that supposed to mean?

Are the however many people who have one of these things installed supposed to feel less manly, more “butch”, or otherwise somehow insulted by that?

Does anyone imagine there are no gay owners of RAM trucks? No gay employees at RAM or any of its dealers? No gay members of this forum? People who don’t think being who they are is insulting to begin with let alone expect to be used as a punchline…

I get it - we apparently can’t laugh at anything anymore… but I’ll tell you as a fat guy, I don’t find it funny when people are making fun of or otherwise disparaging fat people, and while I’m not gay, I can only imagine there’s a similar sense of not thinking it’s funny from that perspective either.

Actually - I did find John Pinette (RIP) one hysterical comedian….so it’s not universal I guess….

Welp - the beauty of the first amendment is that anyone can say (almost) whatever they want no matter who likes it or doesn’t (I’m not aiming for “dislikes” with this reaction but I get that it also may not sit well with some folks either….).

But the shape of the arm - now dammit that’s funny!

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I am sorry but I just cannot agree with ''never seen factory tires not perfectly functional''... the amount of threads and overall news that has come out about different OEM's tires they put on and class action law suits on some extreme cases for other vehicles. Let alone if you plan to use those stock transforces on anything other than pavement.. I would not put my trust to keep my family safe off road with those things the only thing keeping me stuck 6 hours from cell service.
I was clearly just making a point. Sure I've seen some bad tires. The point was that the designs of all new tires and wheels are perfectly functional, not that every one ever made is perfect. I'm still running factory Nexens, perfectly functional, yet still pure garbage.

But back to the snorkel, what an intriguing discussion! LOL.

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Bahahahaha Hilarious!

Because if this side by side picture, I shall forever make fun of the wannabes using this device.

IowaPW

Reaction score
Build the truck the way you want. Your money. As I age, I come to appreciate that people are enthusiastic about their rides. Even though it's not my taste, doesn't mean I can't applaud them. You wanna buy a snorkle, go for it. You wanna spend $5k on aftermarket wheels and tires, go for it. Isn't that what the great ole US of A is all about? As long as you are not forcing your beliefs and ideals on me or harming me in any way shape or form, knock yourself out.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Build the truck the way you want. Your money. As I age, I come to appreciate that people are enthusiastic about their rides. Even though it's not my taste, doesn't mean I can't applaud them. You wanna buy a snorkle, go for it. You wanna spend $5k on aftermarket wheels and tires, go for it. Isn't that what the great ole US of A is all about? As long as you are not forcing your beliefs and ideals on me or harming me in any way shape or form, knock yourself out.
Exactly!

I think exhaust tips the size of a bucket look hideous and you won't see one on my truck but if someone else wants one, more power to them. That's why there's choices out there and few of our trucks look the same. As long as nobody tells me I have to have one on my truck, I"m good.

Do what you want and don't look for approval. Now the wifey thing? You're on your own!!

Users who are viewing this thread