Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.4 8 speed ZF transmission service?

Vapor567

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered the Ravenol transmission service kit and used it? Has pan, filter, and fluids for $300. Would like to go ahead and have mine changed out by an independent shop. All the Ram dealers in my area say they don't service these transmissions.

kevin588127

Reaction score
What fluid does it come with. I thought about having mine done in my 1500. Dealer said they don't need it and that the zf fluid was some astronomical price. Think he said if they were to change the fluid, it would be to the tune of 1200 bucks. All the online tutorials looked like they were using Castrol fluid. I wasn't comfortable using a non specified fluid.

G’Dave

Reaction score
What fluid does it come with. I thought about having mine done in my 1500. Dealer said they don't need it and that the zf fluid was some astronomical price. Think he said if they were to change the fluid, it would be to the tune of 1200 bucks. All the online tutorials looked like they were using Castrol fluid. I wasn't comfortable using a non specified fluid.

To be honest, I don’t think you need to worry about it. I’ve done almost 160k in my Ram 1500 and it’s never been touched. I pull a 14 foot cargo trailer that weighs about 5000 pounds with gear. This includes some big hills in Colorado, and decent hills in southern Missouri in the Ozarks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin588127

Reaction score
To be honest, I don’t think you need to worry about it. I’ve done almost 160k in my Ram 1500 and it’s never been touched. I pull a 14 foot cargo trailer that weighs about 5000 pounds with gear. This includes some big hills in Colorado, and decent hills in southern Missouri in the Ozarks.

From the digging I did, I think zf recommends 100k service interval. Ram says lifetime fluid. I have a tough time with this one.

My 1500 will be gone before 80k and not sure how long I'll keep the 2500 but plan to not keep it around past 100k.

G’Dave

Reaction score
Yes, I totally get it. I’ve talked to my dealer about it as well…..

Vapor567

Reaction score
From the digging I did, I think zf recommends 100k service interval. Ram says lifetime fluid. I have a tough time with this one.

My 1500 will be gone before 80k and not sure how long I'll keep the 2500 but plan to not keep it around past 100k.
I'm hoping to keep my 2500 for my lifetime . Price of HD trucks right now are absolutely crazy.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
It looks legit to me. I’ve used ravenol before in my old duramax. I got it from the same online company as well

I don’t plan on servicing my trans anytime soon (21,000 miles) but I personally wouldn’t hesitate to try their kit

jadmt

Reaction score
couple things, does not the 8speed have a tranny filter? also 6 qts does not seem like a lot for dropping the pan.. I am interested in the out come hopefully @Vapor567 documents the fluid change for us.

jetrinka

Reaction score
couple things, does not the 8speed have a tranny filter? also 6 qts does not seem like a lot for dropping the pan.. I am interested in the out come hopefully @Vapor567 documents the fluid change for us.
The pan is the filter. It has an o-ringed port inside it that is the outlet from the filter which is part of the pan. Part of why its so expensive to service - you buy a pan every time lol!

Seeing this kit, if it performs well for others (be my test rat!!!!), I'll be using it.

G’Dave

Reaction score
ZF recommends 80K - 120K Kilometers or 50K - 75K miles....

Yes - FCA and ZF are not on the same page with this…… There are threads regarding this on the various Ram 1500 sites since the 1/2 ton has had this transmission for quite a while. I drive a 2014 EcoDiesel with the ZF.

Vapor567

Reaction score
Ram Cares, I really hope you read this and can inform your dealers what the service interval is and update the service manual.

Tired of getting conflicting information from dealers, I contacted ZF directly. I asked about the pan, filter, fluid combo mentioned earlier in this thread and asked for a clarification of what exactly the service interval is for the ZFHP75 transmission. The following is the initial response;

"ZF recommends a fluid change every 100k miles or 8 years. If your RAM is under OEM warranty, make sure you follow their guidelines or you could void your warranty. I do not suggest using anything but ZF or RAM parts regarding the pan/filter and fluid. This will definitely void your warranty. The transmission requires ZF Lifeguard Fluid 8 or the RAM equivalent. I would suggest purchasing the pan/filter directly from RAM. The amount you save by buying non ZF/RAM parts in the aftermarket isn't worth the risk of voiding the warranty.."

I really appreciated ZF responding by the way. I then asked as the truck is an HD model and I use it as such (heavy towing) would the transmission need more frequent service;

"If you tow quite often, you could adjust the schedule to 50k miles. Just make sure you check with your OE dealer to make sure you won't void your warranty."

Again, thank you ZF, however, Ram, you're really dropping the ball here as no where in the entire service manual does it mention this. Only the following;

"Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However, change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is disassembled for any reason."

Also, after learning this I called a local Ram parts department, not service, and parts said about $320 for the transmission pan/filter. Plus approximately $30/quart for the fluid which I'll research actual part numbers for both when I get a chance.

Sorry for the long post, I'm going to do my first service on it at 50k miles, which I guess will keep my warranty in effect?

Vapor567

Reaction score
OEM PAN/FILTER, $200

Gasket

Fluid, I'll email ZF to confirm part number,

kevin588127

Reaction score
OEM PAN/FILTER, $200

Gasket

Fluid, I'll email ZF to confirm part number,
I agree with this. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing it right.

I have a Saturn Vue with the Honda vtec and Honda trans. It's a great engine trans combo but the recommended service interval on the trans is 30k. It's a simple procedure but requires 13 qts to do it right. The Honda trans fluid is pretty spendy. I once used the Castrol "equivalent" and could immediately tell there was something wrong. Went back to Honda z1 and all was well again. It is amazing how many gm dealers were clueless and serviced those transmissions with the wrong fluid.

I've seen lots of guys doing you tube videos and swapping the fluid out in these 8 speeds with some sort of multi brand replacement fluid. Wonder how this is working out in the long run for them.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Ram Cares, I really hope you read this and can inform your dealers what the service interval is and update the service manual.

I understand your intent, but Ram Cares exists to attempt to resolve customer service issues between the consumer and the dealer.
This is not a consumer/dealer issue... this is between MOPAR/FCA/STELLANTIS (or whoever they are this week) and ZF...
The dealer is going to follow the maintenance schedule provided by MOPAR/FCA/STELLANTIS not ZF.

I suppose you could find a dealer who may be wiling to do the work, but that would be in the minority.
Most of us are either going to find an independent shop, or just do it ourselves...

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

Tired of getting conflicting information from dealers, I contacted ZF directly. I asked about the pan, filter, fluid combo mentioned earlier in this thread and asked for a clarification of what exactly the service interval is for the ZFHP75 transmission. The following is the initial response;

"ZF recommends a fluid change every 100k miles or 8 years. If your RAM is under OEM warranty, make sure you follow their guidelines or you could void your warranty. I do not suggest using anything but ZF or RAM parts regarding the pan/filter and fluid. This will definitely void your warranty. The transmission requires ZF Lifeguard Fluid 8 or the RAM equivalent. I would suggest purchasing the pan/filter directly from RAM. The amount you save by buying non ZF/RAM parts in the aftermarket isn't worth the risk of voiding the warranty.."

I really appreciated ZF responding by the way. I then asked as the truck is an HD model and I use it as such (heavy towing) would the transmission need more frequent service;

"If you tow quite often, you could adjust the schedule to 50k miles. Just make sure you check with your OE dealer to make sure you won't void your warranty."

Again, thank you ZF, however, Ram, you're really dropping the ball here as no where in the entire service manual does it mention this. Only the following;

"Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However, change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is disassembled for any reason."

Also, after learning this I called a local Ram parts department, not service, and parts said about $320 for the transmission pan/filter. Plus approximately $30/quart for the fluid which I'll research actual part numbers for both when I get a chance.

Sorry for the long post, I'm going to do my first service on it at 50k miles, which I guess will keep my warranty in effect?
Since stellantis builds the transmission on their own as a torqueflite 8HP75, it’s their bat and ball on what they want to recommend for service. If there’s any powertrain warranty, or a max care warranty, I would be leery about changing it, because if there was a transmission warranty claim, I can see that leaving the door wide open for them to say “service is not required, looks like someone tried to service this, and didn’t do it right, and that’s why there’s transmission issues- claim denied”.
As far as the fluid, ZF has their own, which is rebranded by whatever vehicle manufacturer uses it (mopar part number, etc), and they’ll never certify another oil manufacturer’s product, making people feel like that’s the only fluid that can be used. Valvoline Max Life exceeds their fluid specs, and most people use that, and there’s eco diesel hot shot drivers that are using it for 500,000+ miles.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Since stellantis builds the transmission on their own as a torqueflite 8HP75, it’s their bat and ball on what they want to recommend for service. If there’s any powertrain warranty, or a max care warranty, I would be leery about changing it, because if there was a transmission warranty claim, I can see that leaving the door wide open for them to say “service is not required, looks like someone tried to service this, and didn’t do it right, and that’s why there’s transmission issues- claim denied”.
As far as the fluid, ZF has their own, which is rebranded by whatever vehicle manufacturer uses it (mopar part number, etc), and they’ll never certify another oil manufacturer’s product, making people feel like that’s the only fluid that can be used. Valvoline Max Life exceeds their fluid specs, and most people use that, and there’s eco diesel hot shot drivers that are using it for 500,000+ miles.

Good point @Jimmy07...
FWIW, standard RAM Powertrain Warranty is only 5/60K... which falls within the service interval recommended by ZF...
I didn't feel the 'extended' warranty worth the cost so by the time I'd be changing the fluid, it is out of warranty anyway

Vapor567

Reaction score
I understand your intent, but Ram Cares exists to attempt to resolve customer service issues between the consumer and the dealer.
This is not a consumer/dealer issue... this is between MOPAR/FCA/STELLANTIS (or whoever they are this week) and ZF...
The dealer is going to follow the maintenance schedule provided by MOPAR/FCA/STELLANTIS not ZF.

I suppose you could find a dealer who may be wiling to do the work, but that would be in the minority.
Most of us are either going to find an independent shop, or just do it ourselves...
Agree, I've never used a dealer service center for anything, was just posting a dealer cost for parts initially. Looks like you can order the entire assembly and fluid for around $350. My local independent shop said if I brought the pan and fluids it would be about about $150 for labor. So, in my case I'll be able to do a complete transmission service for around $500 which isn't that bad in my opinion and I'll just do them every 50k.

Users who are viewing this thread