Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adaptive cruise control any changes in operation from 2019 to 2022?

erichonda30

Reaction score
One thing that is annoying in bumper to bumper traffic is the 3 second stop timeout on my 19 3500 ho.
Seems like a safety issue with truck just releasing brakes after 3 seconds.
Does it still do this on the 2022?
Had a few rental cars lately and a hyundai would hold indefinitely or you just tap gas and would go again.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
One thing that is annoying in bumper to bumper traffic is the 3 second stop timeout on my 19 3500 ho.
Seems like a safety issue with truck just releasing brakes after 3 seconds.
Does it still do this on the 2022?
Had a few rental cars lately and a hyundai would hold indefinitely or you just tap gas and would go again.

That’s interesting.

I don’t have my truck yet so no real experience other than test driving for a day, but didn’t get a chance to try it in bumper to bumper traffic.

We have a 2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy. I can tell you the only other system out there right now better than the Hyundai is the Tesla Auto Pilot.

Point being I’m managing by expectations for the Ram. But I certainly hope it doesn’t start going after 3 seconds. That sounds incredibly dangerous.

I decided to get all the tech on my truck. I figured even if it’s not as good as the Hyundai I’d rather have it than not.

erichonda30

Reaction score
It beeps and has a notification before it releases but no idea on newer trucks,

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That’s interesting.

I don’t have my truck yet so no real experience other than test driving for a day, but didn’t get a chance to try it in bumper to bumper traffic.

We have a 2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy. I can tell you the only other system out there right now better than the Hyundai is the Tesla Auto Pilot.

Point being I’m managing by expectations for the Ram. But I certainly hope it doesn’t start going after 3 seconds. That sounds incredibly dangerous.

I decided to get all the tech on my truck. I figured even if it’s not as good as the Hyundai I’d rather have it than not.

It might release, but FCW would keep you from hitting anything.

Keep in mind, these ae basic ACC systems, I don't think RAM is reading traffic signals yet like some others are already doing. Apparently the code for pedestrian FCW or at least the settings are in the BCM, but not currently used in my 2020. It may be enabled in the 22's.

You should also expect the Lane Assist to be less than impressive. It's not Lane Keep.

Arth

Reaction score
It might release, but FCW would keep you from hitting anything.

Keep in mind, these ae basic ACC systems, I don't think RAM is reading traffic signals yet like some others are already doing. Apparently the code for pedestrian FCW or at least the settings are in the BCM, but not currently used in my 2020. It may be enabled in the 22's.

You should also expect the Lane Assist to be less than impressive. It's not Lane Keep.

I think it has more to do with the systems that are being used.

On my 2021 Ram 1500 the ACC system could do complete stop and go while my 2021 Ram 2500 can not. Also my 1500 had heads up display that could read traffic signs.

From what I can tell the only difference between the two trucks is an electronic parking brake vs manual? My 21 1500 was an Ecodiesel.

Guessing they haven’t given the capability to the heavy duty trucks yet for whatever reason.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

On my 2021 Ram 1500 the ACC system could do complete stop and go while my 2021 Ram 2500 can not. Also my 1500 had heads up display that could read traffic signs.

From what I can tell the only difference between the two trucks is an electronic parking brake vs manual? My 21 1500 was an Ecodiesel.

Guessing they haven’t given the capability to the heavy duty trucks yet for whatever reason.

Yea, I should have specified RAM "HD".

The HUD is a 5th gen cab thing. Doubt we'll be seeing that in the HD until the redesign.

The ACC center module in the 5th gen is also more compact than the HD, so surely different.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

This is exactly it- the HDs don’t have the electronic parking brake in the abs module, so it’s not capable of the ACC with stop and go like the 1500.

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Good info.

Ya, I was a little disappointed when I test drove the 2500 after having driven our Palisade.

Like I said, managing my expectations. And I’d rather have it than not.

oscar

Reaction score

The warning and correction sensitivities are adjustable in three levels. The highest level definitely gets your attention.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This is exactly it- the HDs don’t have the electronic parking brake in the abs module, so it’s not capable of the ACC with stop and go like the 1500.

Many owners complain about a soft brake pedal feel on the HD's. That said, I know that speed of pedal application increases the perceived and actual stopping power.

Something I've also noticed is that when ACC is running, using the brake always seems to result in an extremely stiff pedal feel.

Is there something going on there like increased pressure in the hydro assist when ACC is active?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Many owners complain about a soft brake pedal feel on the HD's. That said, I know that speed of pedal application increases the perceived and actual stopping power.

Something I've also noticed is that when ACC is running, using the brake always seems to result in an extremely stiff pedal feel.

Is there something going on there like increased pressure in the hydro assist when ACC is active?
Yes, when ACC is active, the DASM requests the abs module to prefill the brakes, so the pads are closer to the rotors for quick response time.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, when ACC is active, the DASM requests the abs module to prefill the brakes, so the pads are closer to the rotors for quick response time.

That explains it. Thanks.

I assume there is slightly more pad wear with it active?

Nd79

Reaction score

Interesting.... I wonder if there would be a way in which to truck the software (with something like alfaobd) into having abs prefill the brakes all the time for a stiffer pedal, or if it would be worth the effort.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
That explains it. Thanks.

I assume there is slightly more pad wear with it active?
I’m not sure if the pads actually make contact during prefill.
Interesting.... I wonder if there would be a way in which to truck the software (with something like alfaobd) into having abs prefill the brakes all the time for a stiffer pedal, or if it would be worth the effort.
Definitely not with anything like AlfaOBD.

Users who are viewing this thread