Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mud Flaps

1954 M37

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out a mud flap that works well with the Bushwacker OE smooth flares? I really like the Mopar Ram Heavy Duty flaps like RamblinChet installed above, but they seem to require the factory spats for installation of the rivets, and the instructions for the Bushwacker OE flares require removal of those spats.

I've considered the factory smooth flares kit (p/n D2DJOEFLARES) but it requires either drilling multiple holes in the fenders which I am reluctant to do (I have a 2021 Tradesman 2500 without OEM flares), or removing the factory face clips and alignment pins from the flares, which makes me wonder how well they'll be held on. And even this kit apparently substitutes different spats, which may or may not be compatible with the Mopar HD mud flaps.

Lots of variables, not enough answers in the product descriptions.

Last edited:

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
Just ordered a set of WT's yesterday for my yet to be built 2500,on sale,68 shipped for a set of 4.

Nd79

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out a mud flap that works well with the Bushwacker OE smooth flares? I really like the Mopar Ram Heavy Duty flaps like RamblinChet installed above, but they seem to require the factory spats for installation of the rivets, and the instructions for the Bushwacker OE flares require removal of those spats.

I've considered the factory smooth flares kit (p/n D2DJOEFLARES) but it requires either drilling multiple holes in the fenders which I am reluctant to do (I have a 2021 Tradesman 2500 without OEM flares), or removing the factory face clips and alignment pins from the flares, which makes me wonder how well they'll be held on. And even this kit apparently substitutes different spats, which may or may not be compatible with the Mopar HD mud flaps.

Lots of variables, not enough answers in the product descriptions.
I put Gatorback mudflaps on my tradesman and they had a lot of room for adjustment.

I had mine slid all the way inwards as I don't have any flares and they had plenty of adjustment in the elongated holes to slide outwards for flares. Install was pretty easy.

str8shuutr45

Reaction score
New owner here…just put on a set of Weather Tech mud flaps. The install was easy-pease. The look good on my white 2021 2500 Limited Mega Cab. Most of the others here look good too. I just wanted easy install in my drivewa.

GLB1950

Reaction score
In hopes of finding someone that could tell me if the pictured RAM has what would be considered fender flares or not. Want to order some mud flaps before it gets here and sites ask whether or not it has OE fender flares. I can't for sure tell. 8A1510CF-3FA2-4D9E-B5B8-5BB316E39E59.jpegF81DCB80-9DDE-435F-9C61-754790BC9CC3.jpeg

C00P

Reaction score
I use BUYERS pre-cut 12 x 37 BLK FENDER FLAP. They were only about $7 each and after measuring a million times and using my ugly stock ones to determine length and hole location prior to the off set for aftermarket wheels width gave it a nice clean look. Once I did one of the fronts I just turned it over and attached it on the other side to double check measurements. placed it on the next one as a template and voila two identical mud flaps. Repeated the process for the rear. Only thing I did have to do was make a cut out for the front wheel well bulge and set my off-set for tire width and spray.

The Mud Flaps weigh about 2 lbs each so using all stock fender flare screw locations and screws are totally achievable. The rigidity of the material (same as the big rigs) allows for more space in the wheel well, gets rid of unsightly machine screws and will not sail. Only upgrade I have to try is replacing all the fender flare screws with plastic rivets for a truly finished look and eliminate as best as possible the rust that forms in these areas ans well as coating them with rock guard to give them a bit of texture and gloss. - Simplicity at its finest.
IMG_8115.jpgIMG_8109.jpgIMG_8117.jpgIMG_8112.jpgIMG_8108.jpg

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I use BUYERS pre-cut 12 x 37 BLK FENDER FLAP. They were only about $7 each and after measuring a million times and using my ugly stock ones to determine length and hole location prior to the off set for aftermarket wheels width gave it a nice clean look. Once I did one of the fronts I just turned it over and attached it on the other side to double check measurements. placed it on the next one as a template and voila two identical mud flaps. Repeated the process for the rear. Only thing I did have to do was make a cut out for the front wheel well bulge and set my off-set for tire width and spray.

The Mud Flaps weigh about 2 lbs each so using all stock fender flare screw locations and screws are totally achievable. The rigidity of the material (same as the big rigs) allows for more space in the wheel well, gets rid of unsightly machine screws and will not sail. Only upgrade I have to try is replacing all the fender flare screws with plastic rivets for a truly finished look and eliminate as best as possible the rust that forms in these areas ans well as coating them with rock guard to give them a bit of texture and gloss. - Simplicity at its finest.

View attachment 19829View attachment 19830View attachment 19831View attachment 19832View attachment 19833

Your attachments don't work... I made my own as well.
Heavy Duty Buyer's composite mudflaps and some chrome weights... re-used existing hardware to hold in place.
About $150 and a weekend of measuring (because I'm slow).

Attachments

• Flaps.jpg
    Flaps.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 75

ConstablePD

Reaction score
Heavy Duty Buyer's composite mudflaps and some chrome weights... re-used existing hardware to hold in place.
where did you order your weights?

C00P

Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up, should be working now, had to re-load one of the images.

I'm looking for weights as well (Black of course) really just for the ascetic look as the rigidity of the flap keeps it's orientation.

MKEguy

Reaction score
Rekgen Merica black on black. My wheels sit about two inches beyond the factory flares and wanted to protect above where a standard mud flap would. Looks awesome too!
840f8d5a210208889f3436df7329ea76.jpg
3fd0aac416af2501eff28571b3d65b7a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RAM_Dad

Reaction score

Motochris

Reaction score
Just picked up a 4pc set of Husky flaps for $15 on Amazon Warehouse. Couldn’t believe it, we’ll see if that’s what actually shows up.

Says they have more…

Husky Liners - 58056 - Fits 2019-21 Ram 2500/3500 with OE Fender Flares (not Power Wagon) Custom Front and Rear Mud Guards, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084DVXQR5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ACMCCE372NH2K10YDNJB
Thanks...I picked up a set too. I had planned on the WT flaps but for the price I'll give this a try.

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
Subject: WeatherTech vs. Husky mud flaps for dually Rams with OEM fender flares.

I recently had a chance to try both brands of mud flaps on the same dually setup (3500 DRW 2020 and 2022, same tire size, no lift, air suspension). While you can't really go wrong with either, I like the Husky's better because:
  • They're a little longer/more splash prevention
  • Their lines are cleaner, especially in the rear DRW flaps
  • You can often get better pricing for them.
Both include PPF strips (actually, I had to ask WeatherTech for strips for the rear flaps) and installation is simple, no-drill.

Here are some photos showing primarily the drop from the lowest point of the OEM fender/V-cap.

This is where I measured down from on the installed mud flaps.

Flaps1.jpg

Note: WeatherTech is more squared off while Husky is rounded...like most everything else on these trucks...including the drivers :cool:
20210923_172848~2.jpg

20211012_134157~2.jpg

Sorry the camera angles are different, but, the tape doesn't lie.
20210923_172647~2.jpg Flaps2.jpg

WeatherTech has it's own sculpted line...that's awkwardly cut into by the V-cap on the rear flaps.
Flaps5.jpg

Clearer pictures of the Husky flaps. Sorry, I didn't take better pics of the WeatherTechs before I traded them in.
Flaps3.jpg Flaps4.jpg

1954 M37

Reaction score
You are correct, both the front and rear use multiple polyoxymethylene (POM) rivets which attache the mud flaps to the spats.
I liked the looks and function of these Mopar rubber mudflaps when I viewed chet's photos at the top of page 12, so I ordered a set for my 2021 2500. I installed them with factory smooth fender flares. Three notes about the installation:

1. The kit comes with black-oxide coated fender washers for the front flaps (you can see them under the factory screws and the POM rivets in Chet's photos above). These are carbon steel washers, and they started rusting within a few weeks of installation. So I removed them (had to cut off the POM rivets), and replaced them with black-oxide coated stainless fender washers (McMaster-Carr 90377A147).

2. Since I had used all of the POM rivets that came with the flaps from Mopar, I tried using some of the POM rivets in the Harbor Freight installation tool kit (Pittsburgh 97757). Ugh. Half the time they wouldn't expand and seat on the backside of the hole before the plastic shaft broke off. The rivet tool works fine, but the rivets are less than impressive. So I substituted McMaster-Carr 90219A340, which came labeled as replacements for the OEM FCA, Ford, GM, etc. part numbers. These worked as intended.

3. The upper attachment point on the front flaps requires a hole to be drilled through the fender flare for a factory screw with captive washer, and through the lip of the steel fender. I was unwilling to drill through the fender, so I moved the hole outboard, through the fender flare only, and substituted a POM rivet for the specified screw. So far, so good. If you make this change, be sure to locate the hole to leave room for the POM rivet to expand in the cavity inside the flare.

Last edited:

Greenhills

Reaction score
I had an OEM Ram mudflap on my truck.. but when i went to 37s, the thickness of the rubber caused problems with rubbing.

I ordered a set of mudflaps from a company called Rokblokz. They offer an XL version (1.5" wider) for lifted trucks, which i ordered.

Will post pictures when i get them installed.

Users who are viewing this thread