Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS (TIS) sensors for trailer (SOLVED - see 1st post) aka TTPMS - Trailer TPMS

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Couple of quick tidbits:

If you enable the TTPMS in AlfaOBD, and then you "Marry" a Tazar, the Trailer Settings (for brake/etc) disappear in the EVIC... However, if you unmarry the Tazar, and do a "Reboot", they come back.

2nd note - these sensors from TST were already in my trailer, when I bought it https://tsttruck.com/ and they (even though they're on the same frequency band as the RAM system) do not seem to want to pair with the TTPMS in the RAM. I tried to pair "tire 1" 3 times, gave up.

So, off to find RAM's TPMS sensors. Yay!
I was unable to pair Tireminder 433.9Mhz sensors.

It's believed the TPMS sensors need to be digitally coded to a specific range to be recognized by the system.

Last edited:

rfullen280

Reaction score
EBay. I found a set there recently.
Got a set off E-bay, had my tire installer put them in the travel trailer. Pairing was quick/painless (backed truck to trailer, plugged trailer to truck, went through settings/trailer on UConnect, used a deflator to take 5 psi out of each tire in sequence..etc). Worked perfect for 3500 miles of trailer time. Just wish the stems were a bit shorter....

bduncan87

Reaction score
Has anyone bought/installed the tire pressure sensors on a towed trailer that can be viewed on the driver information center after being configured in the UConnect? Specifically for the 3500. I am looking for the part number for the sensor.

I've tried a couple of dealers and yesterday chatted and then emailed Mopar support. Chat referred me to email. Email sent me a totally useless reply. "After doing some research, I found that I only have part information for those that come equipped with a particular vehicle or that are compatible with a vehicle. I would suggest that you speak with an authorized Ram dealer for the part number for the Tire Pressure Sensors that would be used by the trailer towed by your truck. "

This being my first non GM truck after 40 years I am surprised that FCA support doesn't have part numbers. Seems like a black hole.

Mod Edit: OP hasn't been seen in a while so I'm posting a summary update here regarding the TTPMS (Trailer TPMS):

Through diligence and hard work on the part of several members, the parts and process to add TTPMS has been discovered. There are several good summaries and instructions posted throughout the thread that I will attempt to cover below.

The parts required, discovered by several contributors and posted throughout the thread, was initially summarized by @thestuarts HERE.

PARTS REQUIRED TO ADD TTPMS to 2019+ RAM HD TRUCKS:
As of 6-21-20 You may find some of these parts, particularly the TIM module and jumper cable, currently out of stock everywhere, partly thanks to this thread.

You will need to install the hard parts. @Phil T excellent instructions pdf HERE.

The hardest part of this is pulling down the headliner (easier on 2020) to remove a dummy plug jumper and install the TIM and jumper cable.

TOOLS REQUIRED:
  • AlfaOBD for Windows (for 2019) or Android (2020 trucks) ($50)
  • Security bypass cable like the one from KAOdTECH. ($50)
  • Bluetooth OBD-II adapter like the OBDLink MX/MX+ ($80/$120)

You will need to enable the sales code option for TTPMS using the tools and components listed to "recode" the Body Control Module (BCM). There's a giant AlphOBD thread here if needing a primer. I used an ELM327 compatible OBD2 reader ($22 BAFX) with success.

Turning on the TTPMS option in the EVIC discovered HERE thanks to @g00fy

VehConfig 8: Trailer TPM

1589229719213.png

For the 2019 trucks, you may need to use the Windows version and select the MY2020 under advanced - also thanks to @g00fy
(ETA: AlphaOBD has been updated to include MY2019 TTPMS settings)

An excellent writeup using AlphaOBD Windows for a 2019 written by @Phil T HERE

"The TTPM sends the information to the TIM via the Controller Area Network-Chassis (CAN-C) to be transmitted to the IPC."

ETA: P/T Chassis Net: TTPM must be enabled.

It may take several key cycles or time, or even overnight for the Tire Pressure options to show up in the U-Connect Trailer Settings once TTPMS is enabled.

@1FastHemi excellent post on adding the wheel sensors HERE:

I was unable to pair non-MOPAR sensors (external TireMinder) to the system. I don't believe anyone has been successful pairing non-MOPAR sensors.

Lastly, much of this could not have been possible without guidance and input and PARTS from @Jimmy07
I know this is an old thread, but I just got a 2019 Ram 2500 LL, and I am looking to add this to my 5th wheel. The bumper module and headliner module says “does not fit your 2019 Ram” when selecting it into my cart on Mopar America? These are the correct parts?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I just got a 2019 Ram 2500 LL, and I am looking to add this to my 5th wheel. The bumper module and headliner module says “does not fit your 2019 Ram” when selecting it into my cart on Mopar America? These are the correct parts?

Although RAM published marketing videos touting the feature 9also the trailer cams), the option wasn't offered on 2019 trucks. However, it can be installed and enabled following the info in post #1.

Change the year to 2020. The only thing you won't get with the online parts houses are confirmed fitment using your VIN.

Gidget19893161

Reaction score
@Brutal_HO Can you confirm the same thing for a 21 Ram 2500 Big Horn? The part number for the bumper receiver in post 1 shows me it is for a 21 ram 1500 and will not fit the 2500. All others seem to be ok. I have confirmed I do have the plug by the bumper but have not confirmed the in cab one. Is it under the seat or in the head liner I am confused.

rfullen280

Reaction score
@Brutal_HO Can you confirm the same thing for a 21 Ram 2500 Big Horn? The part number for the bumper receiver in post 1 shows me it is for a 21 ram 1500 and will not fit the 2500. All others seem to be ok. I have confirmed I do have the plug by the bumper but have not confirmed the in cab one. Is it under the seat or in the head liner I am confused.
The cab plug is above the headliner, up in the rear passenger corner, just above the rear window...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I think someone changed the description for that part number to say 1500... All I can tell you is that it's the correct part number I and many others have installed in 2019-2020 trucks. Perhaps someone with a 21 can confirm.

rfullen280

Reaction score
I have a 2021 2500 Mega Limited , I ordered the parts listed in this thread, and they work perfectly.

any of the parts supply warehouses that you may see online their description is one description for a part but that does not mean there are not multiple descriptions for the part that their simple database trans posed to a web page can see or show. In other words they don't give a good enough description so don't pay attention to their description. It's not that hard to figure out if you read the thread from start to finish you'll notice that multiple people have ordered the same parts and it works fine if you don't want to order it don't order it. Or order from somebody that you can return it should it not work.

So there are two versions of reality here; the first is that everybody in this thread is pulling your leg and wants you to waste your money, the second is that the Webb stores you're buying parts from have limited capabilities and therefore don't really know what they're talking about.

Turbofastdad

Reaction score
Question: Does anyone know if the small 3" instrument cluster displays the trailer image with air pressure once this is installed and enabled? Or will i also need to upgrade instrument cluster?

iota

Reaction score
I installed both modules and activated the Trailer TPMS option with AlfaOBD (Windows) without issue, and the EVIC now has Trailer TPMS screen (which says something like "not configured")... but the Uconnect 12" Settings screen doesn't have anything about trailer tire pressure. I've cycled the ignition many times, connected & disconnected a trailer, and waited a few hours - is there a step that I missed or do I just need to keep driving it until the Uconnect picks up the change?

rfullen280

Reaction score
I installed both modules and activated the Trailer TPMS option with AlfaOBD (Windows) without issue, and the EVIC now has Trailer TPMS screen (which says something like "not configured")... but the Uconnect 12" Settings screen doesn't have anything about trailer tire pressure. I've cycled the ignition many times, connected & disconnected a trailer, and waited a few hours - is there a step that I missed or do I just need to keep driving it until the Uconnect picks up the change?
OK. Back up to your trailer and connect your trailer to your truck. So your truck now knows that it has a trailer. And with it running you have to go into the trailer settings in Uconnect where let you store trailers and although it doesn't say it it's kind of hidden to set up TTMS in one of those menus

iota

Reaction score
It's not showing up in there yet (I believe it's under Trailer Brake -> tap the trailer in question -> there should be a new Tire Pressure choice? based on the screenshots I've seen?) but maybe I just need to drive around more or wait a couple days.

rfullen280

Reaction score
There's two things to add or three things to add an alpha OBD go back through the directions and make sure you added the system that you also add the customer preference menu

iota

Reaction score
VehConfig 8: Trailer TPM = enabled

P/T Chassis Net: TTPM = enabled
Damnit, I was following the windows instructions PDF and only turned on vehicle config 8- trailer TPM. Time to drag the alphaobd stuff back out I guess, thank you

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Damnit, I was following the windows instructions PDF and only turned on vehicle config 8- trailer TPM. Time to drag the alphaobd stuff back out I guess, thank you

The first only enables the EVIC display. The second lights up the TIM.

@Phil T doesn't have the second one called out in his writeup...

rfullen280

Reaction score
The first only enables the EVIC display. The second lights up the TIM.

@Phil T doesn't have the second one called out in his writeup...
And the trailer items show up under settings trailer brake then there's tire pressure

Attachments

• 198C3D0C-6406-4C69-8AA5-B5125D96175A.jpeg
    198C3D0C-6406-4C69-8AA5-B5125D96175A.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 39

iota

Reaction score
After enabling P/T Chassis Net: TTPMS, it worked instantly after an engine restart. It does appear as a new option under trailer brake menu.

Thanks eveyone!

Users who are viewing this thread