Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titan or S&B fuel tank

AZ Sooner

Reaction score
Looking for advice, I want to replace my factory 31 gallon fuel tank with a Titan 50 gallon or S&B 52 gallon. Anyone have issues with either of these brands?

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
From what I’ve read, most people are pretty happy with their Titan tanks. S&B has some bad reviews for documentation/parts missing when it showed up.

When I was in SoCal, I went to Aero Fuel tanks in Corona CA and they put a 48 on my Duramax Crew Cab. Had no problems with that one in 9 years of ownership

AZ Sooner

Reaction score
From what I’ve read, most people are pretty happy with their Titan tanks. S&B has some bad reviews for documentation/parts missing when it showed up.

When I was in SoCal, I went to Aero Fuel tanks in Corona CA and they put a 48 on my Duramax Crew Cab. Had no problems with that one in 9 years of ownership
Thank you for the info

Bandit400

Reaction score
I installed the Titan 55 Gallon tank in my 2019 Ram 3500 CCLB. Great product but make sure your installer follows the tank seal torque process exactly or you will very likely have a leak. Likely a big one, let’s just say my local gas station was not happy with the diesel fuel puddle I left them upon filling. Had my local Ram dealer do the install and they clearly didn’t follow the instructions.

Here is another recent thread on setting the fuel capacity in the BCM to get the DTE calc updated.

B7139FAE-DE94-47DC-980F-003ECFB52726.jpeg

Last edited:

AZ Sooner

Reaction score
I installed the Titan 55 Gallon tank in my 2019 Ram 3500 CCLB. Great product but make sure your installer follows the tank seal torque process exactly or you will very likely have a leak. Likely a big one, let’s just say my local gas station was not happy with the diesel fuel puddle I left them upon filling. Had my local Ram dealer do the install and they clearly didn’t follow the instructions.

Here is another recent thread on setting the fuel capacity in the BCM to get the DTE calc updated.

View attachment 20965
Great info, thank you

usafakid09

Reaction score

View attachment 20965
I believe the new Titan tanks have the locking ring similar to OEM/S&B now.

Bandit400

Reaction score
I believe the new Titan tanks have the locking ring similar to OEM/S&B now.
Could be. I purchased mine about a year ago. Here is what the Titan tank seal clamping mechanism looked like on mine. If you don’t evenly torque all the bolts multiple times, then it will very likely leak as you can see in the picture.
50224EB5-F748-4C04-BD54-FDF38379F544.jpg

gimmie11s

Reaction score

What did they charge for the install? Im close to that shop...

Arth

Reaction score
Just installed a titan 52 gallon fuel tank on my 2021 Ram 2500 CCSB. Love it. Paid an installer and honestly I should have done it myself. Not bad at all. Updated the computer to recognized the new tank size best I could. So far about 1000 or so miles of range on a single tank.

Will_T

Reaction score
Just installed a titan 52 gallon fuel tank on my 2021 Ram 2500 CCSB. Love it. Paid an installer and honestly I should have done it myself. Not bad at all. Updated the computer to recognized the new tank size best I could. So far about 1000 or so miles of range on a single tank.
That is exactly what I have on my 3500 although saying you have a 1,000 mile range made me startle! The 52 gallon tank increased my range for sure but because I only really have it filled when on a towing trip, and can only really use maybe 47 gallons before getting nervous enough to refill, my range is more like 500+ miles. Still, much better than the 280 miles the OEM tank would have provided when towing.

Myfast70

Reaction score
Damn, I may have to look into getting a bigger tank now after seeing a potential 1000 mile range. It's not even that I go on a lot of road trips I just hate filling up, lol

Once the new tank is installed and totally filled does it make the truck lean a little because the added weight?

Will_T

Reaction score
Once the new tank is installed and totally filled does it make the truck lean a little because the added weight?

On a 3500 no it does not notice the extra 150 lbs. a full tank weighs. Although that may depend on the size of the driver and if the truck was already starting to lean. ;)
On a 2500 with the reduced payload and softer suspension, all bets are off! :D

Myfast70

Reaction score
That is my only potential worry about going that direction. Fortunately I'm not a huge fatty and weigh 215lbs so that shouldn't add too much lean.

Arth

Reaction score
That is exactly what I have on my 3500 although saying you have a 1,000 mile range made me startle! The 52 gallon tank increased my range for sure but because I only really have it filled when on a towing trip, and can only really use maybe 47 gallons before getting nervous enough to refill, my range is more like 500+ miles. Still, much better than the 280 miles the OEM tank would have provided when towing.

Most of my runs lately have been from TN to FL and back. During that time I was around that 47 gallon mark on refill and I had made the entire trip without stopping. Trip meter showed a little over 1000 miles traveled. I wasn't running super fast but pretty consistent.

That is my only potential worry about going that direction. Fortunately I'm not a huge fatty and weigh 215lbs so that shouldn't add too much lean.

I'll have to check on my 2500 when I get it back. Currently it is away getting paint protection put on but once I have it back I'll fill the tank back up and measure fender to ground distance if that will help.

Will_T

Reaction score
Most of my runs lately have been from TN to FL and back. During that time I was around that 47 gallon mark on refill and I had made the entire trip without stopping. Trip meter showed a little over 1000 miles traveled. I wasn't running super fast but pretty consistent.
Yeah I wish we could get the 19.5 mpg when towing! My truck is used and will be used for towing about 75% of the time and I am good when I get 11 mpg.

Desertfox73

Reaction score

How did you update the computer to compute DTE based on the new size?

Bandit400

Reaction score
How did you update the computer to compute DTE based on the new size?
Need to use AlfaOBD or AutoEnginuity with enhanced Chrysler option.
Here is a reference on another post to update:

Desertfox73

Reaction score
Need to use AlfaOBD or AutoEnginuity with enhanced Chrysler option.
Here is a reference on another post to update:
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread