Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Wix filter for 6.4? 57899XP?

CPM10V

Reaction score
What Wix oil filters are recommended for the 6.4? (2024). I thought one option was the 57899XP (which I bought) but I’ve seen others reference a different part number. Just want to make sure the filter I have is correct before I do the oil change. Thanks.

CPM10V

Reaction score
I've always used the WIX 57060.
56K miles on the truck.
That’s the number I’ve seen the most often, guess that’s the “officilal” part no. Someone said the Wix part no for the Hellcat filter was the 57899XP so that’s how I wound up with that one.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
May be, never looked at it.
Is it a bigger filter to hold more oil? Different bypass setting?

CPM10V

Reaction score
May be, never looked at it.
Is it a bigger filter to hold more oil? Different bypass setting?
Yes I guess the length is same but diameter is greater. The 899 is 16 psi vs 12 for the 060. My first oil change on a 6.4, maybe the filter is a real tight fit to start with?

whitexc

Reaction score
Yes I guess the length is same but diameter is greater. The 899 is 16 psi vs 12 for the 060. My first oil change on a 6.4, maybe the filter is a real tight fit to start with?

I think there may be room for a slightly larger filter. Let us know if you do go that route.

As far as the first oil change….that factory filter will appear to have been installed with a 1” impact gun. They are notoriously tight. Have a good filter wrench handy.

Sent from me

MarkCO1

Reaction score
I'd not change to a filter with a substantially different bypass pressure.

If you want a larger filter, the 57045 is the one to consider.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
All the higher pressure does is makes more oil go thur the filter before the filter is bypassed.

On a custom blown motor I built, I removed the bypass all together so that all oil HAD to be filtered before it went thru the engine. Never had a issue or loss of any oil pressure

lgjhn

Reaction score
I had the dealership change mine at 1000 miles because the truck had sat on the lot for several months....and yeah, the tech had a heckuva time getting the factory filter off.
Big Brutus works in the oil filter installation crew...LOL
I just did an oil/filter change at 5000 miles last week. I used the WIX 57060 and PUP.
FWIW, that WIX 57899XP is the filter I used on my 2011 Challenger SRT8.
Also, if you haven't already done so, you might want to do some reading/YouTube on that oil filter change. RAM put a little catch tray under there, and one has to just barely crack that filter just loose enough to let it drain SLOWLY for a good while, or it will overwhelm the little tray and oil will go everywhere (dont't ask me how I know...LOL). It will drain down on that double-layered center cross-member and will seep little drips for a couple of days regardless of how much ya try to clean it off. Using a piece of heavy tin foil to direct the drainage may help to avoid all that.. .
I also switched the drain plug over to a fumoto drain plug valve to make things a tad easier in the future.

BadKarma

Reaction score
I have used the 57899 on my 1500 and 2500. Oil pressure reads the same as the factory mopar filter and as 060. Although I 100% agree with engineers design, something specifically and to use the recommended part number. I don’t know if it’s bone headedness or old way of thinking bigger is better or the fact that I can’t get over the size of the small 060 but my last two oil changes have been with the 899 XP

Arvid

Reaction score
I have been using the xp as well with good results. And AMSoil

Users who are viewing this thread