Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheels for the 2019 PW - offset confirmation

brainless

Reaction score
So.... I did a lot of reading on offset and seems to be quite confusing depending on who is writing the article.

With that said I've research for months (off and on) and came up with this recap is any one of you would confirm is it correct?

1. I've located a page where it says the 2019 PW OEM wheels have a +45.7mm offset:
  2. According to this page from Discount tire, the more Neg offset makes the tire align "outward" from the vehicle:
  3. So, of course my baseline is that my current STOCK setup aligns my wheel and tire pretty flush to the fender flare, Is my deducted theory correct:
Confirmation #1:
I want the aftermarket wheel/tire to "stick out" approx 1" out of the fender flares, I need 45.7 - 25.4mm = +20.3 offset?

Further reading, this would be correct if I chose the same width wheel (8") as OEM.

Conirmation #2:
If I where to pick a 9" wheel, they would stick out an additional 1/2in out.

Yes? No?

Thanks for your help.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Your calculations seem correct to me, but keep in mind that only affects the wheel itself. Whatever tire you put on may generate more or less "poke" depending on its size, sidewall flex and tread pattern.

Specific to the 9" wheel, yes, if you picked a 9" wheel and compared it to an 8" with the same offset, the wheel itself would protrude an extra 1/2" on the inside as well as on the outside.

I would suggest looking around at different wheel/tire combinations and then deciding from there what fits your desired look. Site such as customwheeloffsets are good for that as you can look at lots of options on Rams and then see the specs to narrow down your search. That site sells products as well, but I've found much better deals elsewhere, just like it for the gallery.

jeepkevin

Reaction score
Backspacing is measured from the back side of the wheel, specifically to surface the tire bead sits against. As you add rim width, it always goes to the outside if the backspacing stays the same.
Offset is compared to the center line of the wheel, adding width will add equally to both sides of the wheel.

Different companies use different methods to measure a wheel. There isn't an industry standard.

Reaction score
So.... I did a lot of reading on offset and seems to be quite confusing depending on who is writing the article.

With that said I've research for months (off and on) and came up with this recap is any one of you would confirm is it correct?

1. I've located a page where it says the 2019 PW OEM wheels have a +45.7mm offset:
  2. According to this page from Discount tire, the more Neg offset makes the tire align "outward" from the vehicle:
  3. So, of course my baseline is that my current STOCK setup aligns my wheel and tire pretty flush to the fender flare, Is my deducted theory correct:
Confirmation #1:
I want the aftermarket wheel/tire to "stick out" approx 1" out of the fender flares, I need 45.7 - 25.4mm = +20.3 offset?

Further reading, this would be correct if I chose the same width wheel (8") as OEM.

Conirmation #2:
If I where to pick a 9" wheel, they would stick out an additional 1/2in out.

Yes? No?

Thanks for your help.
I have a 2016 Power Wagon with Black Rhino 17x9.5 whhels with a -18 offset and my wheels stick out about between 1-2" but I also have bushawhacker fender flares so they would probabbly stick out further with the stock or no flares. I also have Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 305/70/17.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread