Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Sirius/XM Guardian?

P.A.

Reaction score
If I'm understanding correctly, the new trucks come with this Sirius/XM Guardian. What is this and does this mean you can not have a regular subscription to Sirius, that it must be the Guardian one?

IowaPW

Reaction score
If I'm understanding correctly, the new trucks come with this Sirius/XM Guardian. What is this and does this mean you can not have a regular subscription to Sirius, that it must be the Guardian one?
This isn't "Radio". That is just Sirius XM. Guardian is the connected service to the vehicle. Telematics...vehicle health, location, fuel level, tire pressure, start from your phone, etc.

P.A.

Reaction score
This isn't "Radio". That is just Sirius XM. Guardian is the connected service to the vehicle. Telematics...vehicle health, location, fuel level, tire pressure, start from your phone, etc.
Sooo...you can still have the Sirius/XM radio subscription and won't interfere with Guardian?

dm6

Reaction score
This Sirius Guardian is probably mentioned around here somewhere but my search for it brought me to this thread. I just got the email today saying it expires and wanted to see exactly what it is. So am I correct in that for $12.99 a month, you basically just get remote start and lock from your phone? And for $20.99 or $25.99 you just get some roadside assistance calls? Is it really this big of a rip off, or am I missing some other features?

Andersen24

Reaction score
This Sirius Guardian is probably mentioned around here somewhere but my search for it brought me to this thread. I just got the email today saying it expires and wanted to see exactly what it is. So am I correct in that for $12.99 a month, you basically just get remote start and lock from your phone? And for $20.99 or $25.99 you just get some roadside assistance calls? Is it really this big of a rip off, or am I missing some other features?

I would say looking at it, you are pretty much correct. I will probably go the $25.99 route myself and see how much I like it. I DO like the stolen vehicle recovery portion, but would LOVE it if the theft alarm on the 2500's had a glass breakage sensor, otherwise they can still do the typical smash and grab on those days you forget to take everything in or hide it in the truck.....

Ctimrun

Reaction score
I tried using the remote start during the trial subscription and it worked about 30% of the time. Also for those that think the location services will work for theft recovery think again. I thought I might pay for the service for this reason but often times the truck’s location does not update for hours, days, or sometimes even weeks. I remember my trucks location showed it still parked at the airport for several weeks even though I was nowhere near the airport during this time after a trip away. We are also in a location with great cell coverage pretty much anywhere we go. In my opinion it’s just not reliable enough to pay a monthly subscription.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say looking at it, you are pretty much correct. I will probably go the $25.99 route myself and see how much I like it. I DO like the stolen vehicle recovery portion, but would LOVE it if the theft alarm on the 2500's had a glass breakage sensor, otherwise they can still do the typical smash and grab on those days you forget to take everything in or hide it in the truck.....

If my insurance gave me a discount for the theft location, I'd consider renewing it. Otherwise, it's not worth it. If they would offer Guardian (remote start) for say $7.99/ month at most, I'd do it.
I tried using the remote start during the trial subscription and it worked about 30% of the time. Also for those that think the location services will work for theft recovery think again. I thought I might pay for the service for this reason but often times the truck’s location does not update for hours, days, or sometimes even weeks. I remember my trucks location showed it still parked at the airport for several weeks even though I was nowhere near the airport during this time after a trip away. We are also in a location with great cell coverage pretty much anywhere we go. In my opinion it’s just not reliable enough to pay a monthly subscription.

During my trail, mine worked every time. And the location info was always accurate and current.

That said, there are other aftermarket options that offer remote start, etc. for much less recurring fees (you do have to pay for the system and LTE modules).

Eatstone

Reaction score
I liked some of the features during my free trial. Remote start or unlock from my watch when I can’t find my keys. Gas stations with pricing in relation to my distance to empty. Sending a route plan on a upcoming trip to the truck while having a beer on the couch. Starting my truck for climate control on the 18th tee box.

In saying the above, the trial has now expired. If it wasn’t for the fact I run my truck expenses through my business I probably wouldn’t resubscribe on my own dime.

Users who are viewing this thread