Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weak heater system

MikeJP

Reaction score
Hello

I have a 2013 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, 86,000 miles. The heater for the cab interior doesn't seem to blow very hot air, just warm-ish. I need to close all the vents except the ones that blow on the driver, to get decent heat. The air that blows into the footwell is not warm at all and it feels almost like outside air temperature.

I understand the difficulties of getting access to the heater unit. I was curious if the issue could be a bad thermostat, and hopefully/maybe that thermostat is easy to get to, say behind the control console/dash.

Thank you,

Mike

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Maybe track your operating temperature and report. Someone should let you know if your in the right range. Just mention your condions (air temp /load/distance etc. and a few more details of your truck. Good luck

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Lots of things to check first would be make sure your truck is hitting operating temp second thing that is mostlikely needed is the heatercore needs to be back flushed to clear any contaminates also check that the blend doors are operating properly

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hello

I have a 2013 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, 86,000 miles. The heater for the cab interior doesn't seem to blow very hot air, just warm-ish. I need to close all the vents except the ones that blow on the driver, to get decent heat. The air that blows into the footwell is not warm at all and it feels almost like outside air temperature.

I understand the difficulties of getting access to the heater unit. I was curious if the issue could be a bad thermostat, and hopefully/maybe that thermostat is easy to get to, say behind the control console/dash.

Thank you,

Mike
Thermostat is top of the engine really easy to swap out and dirt cheap

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
This probably sounds weird, and I dont understand it.
But my wifes 04 chevy truck does this every once in a while. When it happens, the radiator overflow tank is low. So I fill it back up, then the heater starts blowing hot air again.
Possibly a air pocket gets in the system???

MikeJP

Reaction score
Thermostat is top of the engine really easy to swap out and dirt cheap
The thermostat you mention is in-line with the coolant hose, correct? Is there another thermostat part of the cabin air temp control?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The thermostat you mention is in-line with the coolant hose, correct? Is there another thermostat part of the cabin air temp control?
It is in the part of the upper coolant hose where it attaches to the block

Darmichar

Reaction score
Is there another thermostat part of the cabin air temp control
The part inside the cab would be the mixer door that would regulate the amount of heat allowed into the cab from the heater core.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The part inside the cab would be the mixer door that would regulate the amount of heat allowed into the cab from the heater core.
Thats the blend door like i said in my first post to check….

Users who are viewing this thread