Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waze nav stopping but not freezing

Jarred

Reaction score
Good morning,

2020 2500 - 8.4 w/ nav UConnect 4

I know people have had issues with Waze but I haven't seen this specific issue come up. Wondering if anyone else is seeing it happen.

Since about mid-August Waze only works about 1 time in 10. The app starts no problem and will calculate and start my route, but will then stop moving after about a 1/4 mile. In the app it looks like I stopped driving. The app doesn't freeze; I can still access all of the app functions and even create a new route. When I start the new route it'll re-fix my location but then promptly stops moving again after a few seconds.

Waze does work correctly every tenth time or so but I've switched to Google Maps for now. I do prefer Waze for the interface and hazard/police notifications. Waze works fine in my wife's Mazda so I don't think it's my phone (done uninstalls/reinstalls) or cord (I've tried a few) or port (tried both). Tried my wife's phone and same thing. I also checked the UConnect site and it says I'm up to date. I've also done the settings reset in UConnect with no joy.

Anyone else see this happen or have any suggestions short of taking it to the dealer? I'll take it in eventually I'd just rather not spend my time right now taking it in.

Thanks in advance.

Linked4door

Reaction score
Haven't had any issues my self, so can't be much help. Have you checked the version of waze AND android auto (or carplay if you're on an iphone)? Long shot, but worth a check.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
When things freeze up, do you have an error message on your phone about GPS location unknown? I know at one point with my previous phone I had to mess around with the settings that allowed location. I can't recall if I had to change it for AndroidAuto, Waze or both, but that eventually resolved it for me. Luckily with my current phone I've not had that issue.

Jarred

Reaction score
Haven't had any issues my self, so can't be much help. Have you checked the version of waze AND android auto (or carplay if you're on an iphone)? Long shot, but worth a check.
Missed that in my intial post, I did uninstall/reinstall of both Waze and Android Auto. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

When things freeze up, do you have an error message on your phone about GPS location unknown? I know at one point with my previous phone I had to mess around with the settings that allowed location. I can't recall if I had to change it for AndroidAuto, Waze or both, but that eventually resolved it for me. Luckily with my current phone I've not had that issue.
Nope. No error messages whatsoever. No issues with Google maps or GPS on phone. Waze actually also works fine on phone if not connected to UConnect. It's just when plugged in that it stops moving.

Jarred

Reaction score
For those following along, @LateToTheParty was correct. Thank you for that. I changed the location permission in Waze from "Allow only while using the app" to "Allow all the time". I tested on a few drives and it seems like the issue is resolved.

CFE

Reaction score
For those following along, @LateToTheParty was correct. Thank you for that. I changed the location permission in Waze from "Allow only while using the app" to "Allow all the time". I tested on a few drives and it seems like the issue is resolved.
wonder if the permission change happened with a recent update. My waze stopped showing up in Uconnect/AA about 4-5 days ago and haven't been able to figure it out...gonna check permissions after work today and see if that's the issue.

Jarred

Reaction score
wonder if the permission change happened with a recent update. My waze stopped showing up in Uconnect/AA about 4-5 days ago and haven't been able to figure it out...gonna check permissions after work today and see if that's the issue.
Not sure. Unfortunately, it started acting up again recently. Sometimes it works fine, other times it'll stop tracking after a few seconds. It is unusable at this point and I've switched to Google Maps for now. I have to go back to the dealer for them to fix the hood that keeps filling up with water (had them replace the hood badges once so far), so I'll have them update Uconnect to see if that helps.

Reactions: CFE

Users who are viewing this thread