Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water crossing concerns

Trevor Cory

Reaction score
Well I got stuck between a rock and a hard place, had to cross a deep section on a trail that was probably about 25" deep of muddy water to make it home. Of course the power wagon had no issues besides a small winch assist to make it through the end. This is my first PW, (I have a '22) I am a little concerned if any water got into places it shouldn't have such as the front/rear diffs or anywhere else. Should I do a fluid diff fluid change or check anything else? No noticeable issues with the truck at all and I know they're "okay up to 30 inches of water" but I am still a little concerned about any hidden issues.

Any recommendations? Or is the truck a solid tank and I am just worrying for no reason.

unnamed.jpg

jsalbre

Reaction score
Probably fine, but if you were over the diff breathers there’s always the possibility of sucking some in. You could pull the fill plugs and stick a diy dipstick in to check what the fluid looks like.

snocam

Reaction score
Where were you four wheeling? That looks like the Pine Barrens, where I grew up .

Wobly

Reaction score
The vent tubes on the newer -19+ Power Wagons has a Gore Tex membrane that is designed to let hot air out but stop water from getting in. I was going to relocate my vents, but decided to try the membranes out for a while. I have been through a lot of water and have never had a problem with contaminated oil.
Lots of info in this thread. https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/axle-vents-breathers.3684/

Users who are viewing this thread