Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB drive

Jimmyj321

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to load cds onto a USB flash drive and play them thru the radio. I have a 2019 Bighorn without a CD player and I have hundreds of cds.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to load cds onto a USB flash drive and play them thru the radio. I have a 2019 Bighorn without a CD player and I have hundreds of cds.

You need some software to "rip" the CD's and help organize them.

Honestly, I'm not sure what's out there in the wild these days as I have a licensed copy of Media Monkey and do custom Artist/year/album organizing.

Also, I don't know if anyone's actually tried, but it might be possible to plug in a low power portable CD/DVD player into one of the USB ports. --- I have a portable DVD writer and should try this so we know...

Zeroday

Reaction score
Curiosity got the better of me, so I plugged in a USB CD drive and while it did power up, it was not recognized as a media device.

Power247

Reaction score
if you download itunes, you can RIP the files using that and it's free.
This is a good free option, especially if you already have ios devices. I did the same thing using Spotify a few years ago and it worked ok.. I believe so could Google Play music but not sure now that it's been replaced.

Greg
2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
Curiosity got the better of me, so I plugged in a USB CD drive and while it did power up, it was not recognized as a media device.
I run all my music off a 16mb USB stick that will run for days without hearing the same song twice, they have to be in an .mp3 format and you have to be plugged into either media 1 or media 2. On my truck it's at the front on the center console, I'm plugged into media 2 that way it'a as far right as possible and out of the way.

You will have to get your CD's ripped to a .mp3 format and then you can install them on the usb stick, I have different folders for everything.

Good luck

1FastHemi

Reaction score
I run all my music off a 16mb USB stick that will run for days without hearing the same song twice, they have to be in an .mp3 format and you have to be plugged into either media 1 or media 2. On my truck it's at the front on the center console, I'm plugged into media 2 that way it'a as far right as possible and out of the way.

You will have to get your CD's ripped to a .mp3 format and then you can install them on the usb stick, I have different folders for everything.

Good luck

I did mine the same way. I have a 64gb USB ScanDisk "Cruzer Fit" Flash Drive almost full now and have one in most all my vehicles. They all work flawless and they pick up where it left off each time I start the vehicles.

Last edited:

1FastHemi

Reaction score
Do you just plug the USB scandisc in and it starts or what buttons or procedure do you use to get it going?

If I remember correctly, when I first inserted the flash drive it took a while before all the media on if was recognized.. After that initial time It is fairly quick being recognized after that. I have the 12 inch display and you have to go to the USB part in the stereo and press on it just like you were changing from AM to FM and it starts playing. I never remove it and leave the flash drive installed all the time

Jimmyj321

Reaction score
Figured everything out. Downloaded a free CD ripper to my PC and converted all the songs to MP3 format and put them on a Scan disc. When you insert it into the USB drive and hit the Media button, it gives you the choice of AM, FM, or USB. You select USB and the song list menu pops up on the screen and you select the song. I put 190 songs in. Probable room for several thousand. Gonna go back and see if I can organize them better. Good COVID-19 task. Hot here in Mississippi and can't do much else.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
It wouldn't have worked anyways even if it was recognized. These devices are made to work stationary (sitting flat at the work desk, etc) and in a moving vehicle the songs would be skipping all the time on every little road bump, there's no buffering function in them.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I used a CDEX ripping software, it was one of the best, full of functions and great quality rips. You still should be able to download it.

Users who are viewing this thread