Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect 5.0 Bluetooth audio quality

Parkerlouis13

Reaction score
Why does the music i play from my phone through the stereo sound like crap? I have the 6 speaker non amplified system. I replaced all door speakers with kicker 6x9's and 3.5's in the dash. I put a factory sub with a 500 watt 2 channel mini Hifonics amp and the bass seems to be missing. When I play Sirius/XM, the sub sounds very good. Anyone have any experience with the Kicker key180.4? Its a digital sound processor thats also a 4 channel amp. Any budget friendly recommendations? Thanks

jsalbre

Reaction score
It sounds bad because you’re using Bluetooth. If you want quality sound you need to plug it in.

Squatch

Reaction score
bluetooth sounds great on mine, just can’t stand the volume difference between radio and Bluetooth. Did it sound like crap to start out with on yours?

Parkerlouis13

Reaction score
bluetooth sounds great on mine, just can’t stand the volume difference between radio and Bluetooth. Did it sound like crap to start out with on yours?
I believe it did. I really noticed the difference after I put the amp and sub in. I did a Google search and found it to be an ongoing issue with the basic radios in our trucks. The 8.4 doesn't seem to have that issue

Squatch

Reaction score
Mines the little 5” one too, but really does sounds fine streaming from iPhone, I am pretty particular about my sound as well. Any chance you are getting interference from noise cancelling system?

Parkerlouis13

Reaction score
Mines the little 5” one too, but really does sounds fine streaming from iPhone, I am pretty particular about my sound as well. Any chance you are getting interference from noise cancelling system?

I'm not sure. I don't have the module underneath the driver seat so I don't know if I have the noise canceling feature. Atleast that is where I've heard it is installed on the 1500's. It could be android phones that don't pair well with the Bluetooth on these trucks. I have a Note 10+

Parkerlouis13

Reaction score
It sounds bad because you’re using Bluetooth. If you want quality sound you need to plug it in.
I'll have to try it this way to hear it. Now that I think about it, the Bluetooth doesn't sound good using a Bluetooth adapter hooked up to my Bose speakers at work.

Squatch

Reaction score
If you don’t have a factory amp I think that stuff is behind the dash on our trucks. I watched a video on installing an ANC bypass a while back and it showed what’s it is on our system.

gordosmasho

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 3500 tradesman with the uconnect radio. If i plug in or use bluetooth the audio is very compressed. Oddly though it does it less with the radio. And the radio gets a bit louder than any other sources. Doesn’t sound bad technically but also doesn’t really get loud either. About 22 it shelves pretty hard and doesn’t really get any louder. Just squishier. I kinda hate the radio all together. Super delayed response some times from the volume and source buttons. Switches between sources for no reason when you have two phones plugged in.

Anyways. Is there a go to way to swap in an aftermarket unit. I know its super integrated with the car but i dont really use any of that stuff. Im kind of oldschool but im an audio guy, and it needs to sound good.

Squatch

Reaction score
Dude, I feel your pain! I have been keeping my eye out for anything, but haven’t seen anything great yet. I’ve seen people upgrading to the big oem screens, but I don’t want to go there. Hopefully Something will come along at some point, keeping my fingers crossed for an Alpine option or something along those lines.

Parkerlouis13

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 3500 tradesman with the uconnect radio. If i plug in or use bluetooth the audio is very compressed. Oddly though it does it less with the radio. And the radio gets a bit louder than any other sources. Doesn’t sound bad technically but also doesn’t really get loud either. About 22 it shelves pretty hard and doesn’t really get any louder. Just squishier. I kinda hate the radio all together. Super delayed response some times from the volume and source buttons. Switches between sources for no reason when you have two phones plugged in.

Anyways. Is there a go to way to swap in an aftermarket unit. I know its super integrated with the car but i dont really use any of that stuff. Im kind of oldschool but im an audio guy, and it needs to sound good.
Not sure what phone you have. I have a Galaxy Note 10 plus and I changed my Bluetooth audio quality. Sounds much better.

Go to ABOUT PHONE in settings. Click on SOFTWARE INFORMATION then click on BUILD NUMBER multiple times until it unlocks DEVELOPER OPTIONS. After that click into DEVELOPER OPTIONS back in the settings menu and scroll to BLUETOOTH AUDIO CODEC. I changed mine to SBC and the quality sounds so much better. Let me know if that helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200720-142028_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200720-142028_Settings.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20200720-141947_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200720-141947_Settings.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 10

gordosmasho

Reaction score
Not sure what phone you have. I have a Galaxy Note 10 plus and I changed my Bluetooth audio quality. Sounds much better.

Go to ABOUT PHONE in settings. Click on SOFTWARE INFORMATION then click on BUILD NUMBER multiple times until it unlocks DEVELOPER OPTIONS. After that click into DEVELOPER OPTIONS back in the settings menu and scroll to BLUETOOTH AUDIO CODEC. I changed mine to SBC and the quality sounds so much better. Let me know if that helps.

I have an iphone xs. I use my Bluetooth in many vehicles. This is the only one i have this problem with. I have two other cummins rigs with aftermarket systems in that i built. Bluetooth sounds fine in those rigs.

gordosmasho

Reaction score
Dude, I feel your pain! I have been keeping my eye out for anything, but haven’t seen anything great yet. I’ve seen people upgrading to the big oem screens, but I don’t want to go there. Hopefully Something will come along at some point, keeping my fingers crossed for an Alpine option or something along those lines.

Yeah. Im a big fan of alpine. I have a two top of the line alpine head units it two other vehicles. Ive been looking at the android tablet units on amazon. Ive found a few of them with reviews saying they can even read can bus system info. Just dont know how they sound.

Squatch

Reaction score
I’ve seen those too, but I don’t have enough faith to take the leap. I’m in the same boat, every time I bought a previous truck I would hit up Crutchfield and make it just right, now it is just such a pain in the ass.

Users who are viewing this thread