Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truck won't detect key / start

wpgram

Reaction score
So this has happened a couple times now... Yesterday I got in the truck (already unlocked) and had the key in my hand press the brake and the button nothing. Doesn't even say key fob not detected. Its like the truck is frozen. Power locks on the door works but not the remote. So i disconnect both negatives on the batteries and turn the lights on to drain power. Hook everything back up get in the truck and wait and out of nowhere it chimes and is "back to normal"
That wasn't as bad as Saturday at the boat launch. Fishing partner is waiting at the dock for me and the truck. Difference is the truck was locked. Won't unlock so I have to use the manual key so that sets the alarm off. I have to pull the horn fuse to shut it up and then go about disconnecting the batteries again and blah blah blah its back to normal.
After it happened on the weekend I decided to carry the spare key to see if that was an issue... No such luck.

Truck was in for service a couple weeks ago and I had them test the batteries as I've heard these trucks go goofy if one battery is weak. well they came back fine...

Not sure what it could be.

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
Can you push the start button with the keyfob and have it recognize the fob? That was the process on my previous FCA vehicle when the remote battery was low. It sounds like your issue is more on the truck side though.

wpgram

Reaction score
Well it did it again yesterday while i was on the phone with my guy from the dealer... Took it in today and its the "rf hub"
part on order NO ETA...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread