Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transmission Temp

Fox

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2016 Ram 2500 with the Cummins engine. This my first diesel truck. I realized after signing up for the forum that it is primarily for 2019 and above but hoped my question could still be answered here. While on a trip this past week, I noticed that the transmission temp stayed 202-203 on interstate not towing or hauling anything. Reading some specs, this appears a little high. What termp should the transmission run? No warnings or alarms. I was running 70-75mph and the outside temp was around 70 degrees. Also, thought I felt it slip just a little when pulling up the driveway when I got home. Would having the transmission serviced (fluid change, etc.) be the first step to take. Don't have any records of when this was done. The truck has 110,000 miles on it. I am not towing anything right now but will be towing boats in the spring and summer.

Nick

Reaction score
Much depends on the outside ambient air temp . My 14 when towing in stop and go traffic on a hot day (90 + ) Would get up to 220 . I really wouldn't worry about it . Not towing about 180 .

jetrinka

Reaction score
The ZF in mine doesn't go above 170 unloaded. Towing 5k over mountain passes I saw 174 once. lol. Apples to oranges though.

Fox

Reaction score
Much depends on the outside ambient air temp . My 14 when towing in stop and go traffic on a hot day (90 + ) Would get up to 220 . I really wouldn't worry about it . Not towing about 180 .
Ok. Thanks

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
The thermal bypass valves have been known to stick on some trucks which prevents enough tranny fluid from making it to the cooler when they do. You can either push to have that little block replaced if you have any sort of warranty/service plan or simply replace the block with a delete (it's an easy job and costs about $90 for the block). Plenty of companies make them so take your pick of PPE, RevMax, ATS, BD, etc.

*Edit

Also the key to keeping an RFE healthy, In my opinion/experience, is regular servicing. If you don't know when it was last serviced I would do that as well.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2016 Ram 2500 with the Cummins engine. This my first diesel truck. I realized after signing up for the forum that it is primarily for 2019 and above but hoped my question could still be answered here. While on a trip this past week, I noticed that the transmission temp stayed 202-203 on interstate not towing or hauling anything. Reading some specs, this appears a little high. What termp should the transmission run? No warnings or alarms. I was running 70-75mph and the outside temp was around 70 degrees. Also, thought I felt it slip just a little when pulling up the driveway when I got home. Would having the transmission serviced (fluid change, etc.) be the first step to take. Don't have any records of when this was done. The truck has 110,000 miles on it. I am not towing anything right now but will be towing boats in the spring and summer.

I would start by changing all the fluids/filters on the truck to ensure they are new and quality fluids/filters.

Those temps seem a little high for empty driving, but not crazy.

Personally I'm not a fan of the thermostat bypass valves as they drastically increase warmup time which isn't great for the trans either.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I would start by changing all the fluids/filters on the truck to ensure they are new and quality fluids/filters.

Those temps seem a little high for empty driving, but not crazy.

Personally I'm not a fan of the thermostat bypass valves as they drastically increase warmup time which isn't great for the trans either.
I'd agree for those of you that actually get cold, but if OP's current outside temps are 70 degress they might be in same boat we are here down in South Central,TX. Deleting the TBV doesn't really cause us much of any issues since we've been known to be in 80's on Christmas lol.

Nick

Reaction score
I changed mine to a more open flow . It reduced the temp by 10 to 15 degrees in stop and go traffic ,towing on hot days . living in S cal we don't have those cold extremes .

Users who are viewing this thread