Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer case says it's shifting to 4x4

Southernspeed

Reaction score
My wife was driving our 2021 3500 HO dually( 10,000 miles on the clock). She'd done about 100 miles and stopped at a store for something, when she restarted the truck the dash display started flashing and said 'initiating 4 wheel drive' or something like that (she can't remember exactly but I think it's the std message when you shift to 4x4) It continued doing this for the next few miles 'til she got to her destination. She phoned me and I told her to make sure the lever was securely in the 2 wheel drive position, which it was. (floor mounted mechanical transfer case shifter). When she restarted a few hours later it was fine again.
Has anyone had this issue? Also does anyone know if the switch/sensor is mounted to work off of the lever/linkage or is it inside/on the transfer case?

Thanks for any info.

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
A purse into the lever slightly and it probably not even changing into 4wd made it think for a moment that it was going to happen but reset itself once restarted because it did not have same event occur.. atleast this is what it sounds like happened.

Southernspeed

Reaction score
A purse into the lever slightly and it probably not even changing into 4wd made it think for a moment that it was going to happen but reset itself once restarted because it did not have same event occur.. atleast this is what it sounds like happened.
That was my first thought but that lever is pretty tucked away, she knows what she's doing and is sure she didn't knock it in any way. When she checked the lever she said it was solidly in 2wd so ....?
I haven't had the chance to drive it since it happened to see if replicates it. She's hauling a horse tomorrow so we'll see.

Reaction score
this probably does NOT apply to your issue since you have the manual 4x4 shifter but just curious if you have a Banks Pedal Monster?
I have the push button 4x4 and it def massed with the programming.

Southernspeed

Reaction score
this probably does NOT apply to your issue since you have the manual 4x4 shifter but just curious if you have a Banks Pedal Monster?
I have the push button 4x4 and it def massed with the programming.
No it’s a stock truck. Hasn’t done it since either. Just one of glitches I guess!

Users who are viewing this thread