Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer brake disconnected

funsize1960

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why on a 2022 ram Big Horn it’s only 11,000 miles keeps getting the warning of trailer break disconnected while driving while driving. I have called Dodge Care Center and I am waiting for a callback but just wondering if anyone can give me some insight on this

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
I just put a beefy reusable zip tie around the trailer plug and the truck connector flap. Haven’t had a problem after a couple years of use. Just my .02 cents ;).

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Is it the old style molded plug? I had to change most of the plugs on my trailers as the old molded plugs were the issue its a cheap and easy solution cost me 7$ per trailer for a new curt plug

red

Reaction score
I had the same issue on a 2013, 1500. I had the bumper plug changed a couple of times under warranty but the problem kept coming back. Once it was out of warranty, I started to make adjustments to the pins in the bumper plug which seemed to resolve the problem for several months. No issues with this so far on my 2020 3500....knock on wood.

Last edited:

funsize1960

Reaction score
We’re traveling across the country. Started out a week ago and this started happening.
No our trailer is a keystone cougar it’s a 2021, and our truck is a 2022 ram it’s just irritating that this is happening

Blackpowder

Reaction score
We just returned from a 3000 mile trip with our 2015 travel trailer (towing with 2021 3500). Part way through the trip we started getting intermittent trailer brake disconnected messages. My trailer has the plug style pointed out by Brutal.

1651202666038.png
I used some pliers to pinch the contact blades together, which significantly improved the problem for the rest of the trip. I plan to replace the trailer plug with a better design.

waveslayer

Reaction score
It's the trailer, same thing happens on my old maps Duramax. We changed plugs on the trailer and problem solved

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The other problem with these older plugs is they can also smash/bend the truck side blades together.

You must check the truck side and if necessary, use a hook to spread them back out if needed.

1651208220049.png

funsize1960

Reaction score
Is it the old style molded plug? I had to change most of the plugs on my trailers as the old molded plugs were the issue its a cheap and easy solution cost me 7$ per trailer for a new curt plug
No it’s not the old plug because it’s a brand new trailer so it’s a new plug

Users who are viewing this thread