Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPMS (TIS) sensors for trailer (SOLVED - see 1st post) aka TTPMS - Trailer TPMS

RedBeard6111

Reaction score
So, I contacted my sales manager about this issue and he spoke with the FCA Trainer who goes out to the dealerships and shows the salesmen how to use the functions of the new vehicles. The trainer said that the TTPMS is an add on option that is not available yet in the build mock up. Just like the camera was not there and is now, the TTPMS will be there later. With that being said we early buyers can purchase the TTPMS units, (just as we can buy the camera) and go back to the detailer have them install the sensors in the tires then open the program in the truck.

So they say!

thestuarts

Reaction score
So, I contacted my sales manager about this issue and he spoke with the FCA Trainer who goes out to the dealerships and shows the salesmen how to use the functions of the new vehicles. The trainer said that the TTPMS is an add on option that is not available yet in the build mock up. Just like the camera was not there and is now, the TTPMS will be there later. With that being said we early buyers can purchase the TTPMS units, (just as we can buy the camera) and go back to the detailer have them install the sensors in the tires then open the program in the truck.

So they say!

That is good news, of sorts, but it is a slightly different answer than what Ram said earlier to TFL trucks. Ram said:

“TTPM could be added but it would consist of vehicle configuration changes, software flashes, wiring, and module replacement,” said a Ram spokesman. “It can be done, but it is not a Mopar kit that’s plug and play.”

RedBeard6111

Reaction score

Yes, it is a slightly different answer than was provided by RAM to TFL.

Not to be biased or anything but I do like my answer better . But also because it makes more sense to me. In all reality the sensors are wireless that are installed in your trailer, and the UConnect system is the controller that would pick up the sensors in the tires. Meaning a quick re-flash of the computer to turn on the feature.

Of course I am hoping for all of our sake that this is the case.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Yes, it is a slightly different answer than was provided by RAM to TFL.

Not to be biased or anything but I do like my answer better . But also because it makes more sense to me. In all reality the sensors are wireless that are installed in your trailer, and the UConnect system is the controller that would pick up the sensors in the tires. Meaning a quick re-flash of the computer to turn on the feature.

Of course I am hoping for all of our sake that this is the case.

Your reply definitely makes more sense, but I am a software/hardware engineer that has worked on low-level systems for decades, so I can easily imagine this being engineered in a way that makes it almost impossible to retrofit. I am hoping for all of our sake as well.

regal2800

Reaction score
I did a google search of the Ford Aux trailer camera and TTPMS and the TTPMS gets connected to the truck through a 12pin plus mounted on the bumper in place of the 4 pin trailer plug. The 7/4 pin trailer plug on the bumper gets replaced with a 12-7 pin connection on the bumper. The ford camera for the trailer comes with a module as part of the harness which gets mounted on the trailer and that picks up the signal from each trailer tire and relays the info to the truck through this 12 pin plug. Given that the plug on the ford (12/7) pin looks almost exactly like the 12/7pin plug that came with my mopar Aux trailer prep upgrade, i would venture to guess that ram TTMPS will connect to the truck through this same 12pin plug. If this is the case i see no reason why a simple dealer flash and the trailer camera/harness wont solve all problems.

the language in other literature quoted by ram engineers has been wrong in the past so i wouldn't be suprised if this info from TFL is also incorrect.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I did a google search of the Ford Aux trailer camera and TTPMS and the TTPMS gets connected to the truck through a 12pin plus mounted on the bumper in place of the 4 pin trailer plug. The 7/4 pin trailer plug on the bumper gets replaced with a 12-7 pin connection on the bumper. The ford camera for the trailer comes with a module as part of the harness which gets mounted on the trailer and that picks up the signal from each trailer tire and relays the info to the truck through this 12 pin plug. Given that the plug on the ford (12/7) pin looks almost exactly like the 12/7pin plug that came with my mopar Aux trailer prep upgrade, i would venture to guess that ram TTMPS will connect to the truck through this same 12pin plug. If this is the case i see no reason why a simple dealer flash and the trailer camera/harness wont solve all problems.

the language in other literature quoted by ram engineers has been wrong in the past so i wouldn't be suprised if this info from TFL is also incorrect.

That's encouraging news, but I don't want to set my expectations to high. The journalists at TFL trucks know Rod Romain, Ram’s chief engineer of heavy-duty trucks, so it is possible their sources are reliable.

regal2800

Reaction score
TFL also stated that the AAM 12 rear axle is only available on the max tow 3500s and we all know already that the AAM 12 is on all 3500 HO SRW and DRW. but i guess we will know in the next month or two.

thestuarts

Reaction score
TFL also stated that the AAM 12 rear axle is only available on the max tow 3500s and we all know already that the AAM 12 is on all 3500 HO SRW and DRW. but i guess we will know in the next month or two.

I got the information about the AAM 12 rear axle from the head of Ram engineering, not from TFL. See

arude

Reaction score
Hi Guys, wrestling with the same issues with my new 2500 that I got to tow the TT with. I got the AUX camera prep in the build, but have no idea if i actually got anything or not other than the bill. Is there something that i should actually be able to see installed on the truck or should have gotten to reflect its there other than seeing it on the window sticker??

thestuarts

Reaction score
Hi Guys, wrestling with the same issues with my new 2500 that I got to tow the TT with. I got the AUX camera prep in the build, but have no idea if i actually got anything or not other than the bill. Is there something that i should actually be able to see installed on the truck or should have gotten to reflect its there other than seeing it on the window sticker??

My salesman told me that when they install the AUX camera prep they switch out the 7 pin wiring harness with a 12 pin wiring harness. The truck I ordered has not arrived yet, so I haven't been able to verify what my salesman told me.

Does your trailer wiring harness have 7 pins or 12?

arude

Reaction score
Hi. Has standard 4 over 7 pin from the factory, and thats my issue, i see no indication that anything has been done therefore my question as to what others may have gotten that ordered the same package.

regal2800

Reaction score
if you have 4 pin over 7 pin you dont have the aux camera prep. The aux camera preper will have a 12 pin over 7 pin in the bumper. There is a retrofit kit available from mopar and will require a dealer flash. The camera itself is not available yet;

arude

Reaction score
Thanks, thats pretty much what i thought. Says i got it on the sticker and i paid for it, but no evidence that i actually got it. Now its back to the dealer to see where we go from here.

Does anyone that actually got the package have a picture of the 12 over 7 installed that i can show the dealer. Would certainly help.

arude

Reaction score
OK thanks. Will report back after my trip to the dealer on Saturday although my expectations are that i already know more about whats going on than they do. Will report back..

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
You are probably not wrong in your assumptions @arude.

But every once in awhile there is that guy who enjoys the vehicles he works on or represents and pays attention to what is going on.

Good luck.

regal2800

Reaction score
OK thanks. Will report back after my trip to the dealer on Saturday although my expectations are that i already know more about whats going on than they do. Will report back..

The dealer i went to didn't even know what it was for. The kit comes with excellent instructions for the dealer to follow and step by step details on how to flash the truck. when you put the truck in reverse there are a few icons at the left corner for you to toggle between camera views. once flashed by the dealer, you will get a trailer icon with a camera included in the mix.

arude

Reaction score
Interesting, i have the trailer with camera icon already on the display, just turns blue when selected and a message like there is no camera. What i dont have is any different wiring or trailer connector. Would you have a picture of what the new plug should look like that i could show the dealer? That would be a great help. Unfortunately if all this turns out to be is a backup camera. i might not even buy the additional camera. I currently have a wifi observation camera for my TT and while nice to have a backup camera, i really like being able to see cars that are directly behind me by using the observation camera that i have now. What i dnot like is having a separate LDC display that i have to setup and stick to the windshield. I was hoping that this new setup with camera would allow for full time observation of whats behind me using the 12" display. If backup is all it is, i may not spring for the camera when it comes out. However still want to get what i paid for with the new rig. Thanks for the help..

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, i have the trailer with camera icon already on the display, just turns blue when selected and a message like there is no camera. What i dont have is any different wiring or trailer connector. Would you have a picture of what the new plug should look like that i could show the dealer? That would be a great help. Unfortunately if all this turns out to be is a backup camera. i might not even buy the additional camera. I currently have a wifi observation camera for my TT and while nice to have a backup camera, i really like being able to see cars that are directly behind me by using the observation camera that i have now. What i dnot like is having a separate LDC display that i have to setup and stick to the windshield. I was hoping that this new setup with camera would allow for full time observation of whats behind me using the 12" display. If backup is all it is, i may not spring for the camera when it comes out. However still want to get what i paid for with the new rig. Thanks for the help..

The auxiliary camera, once available, allows you to either view the inside of the trailer (livestock, etc.) Or attach to the rear of camper for extra rear views.

So, you want a back up camera? Correct. But, then you say if it is only a backup camera you do not want it.

The camera would be seen on your display with the uconnect.

The trailer plug at the back of your truck would be 7plug and 12 plug once installed. Replacing the current 4/7 plug.

He listed the parts in a thread...not sure if he posted pics. It is onthe mopar site as well. Links to it are here also.

Users who are viewing this thread