Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyhauler stuff

oledirteh

Reaction score
This question is more for @Brutal_HO

Did your camper come with a rear hitch setup? Or did you add that?

What im looking for is i have a 38ft heartland torque toy hauler. Weighs in about 10ish empty. when i travel i have it loaded with water, fuel, supplies and a 2021 can am maverick X3 turbo rr. In the bed of the truck i have my gf's yamaha raptor 700. I also have a can am outlander atv that id like to take but theres no room.

id have to look at the legality of it, but was considering getting a small single axle 10ft or 8ft utility trailer to put behind it for the outlander and right now it doesnt have a trailer hitch back there. the other option is to spend the 3k for a rack for my truck to park 2 atv's back there side by side but not sure if i want to do that.

20230831_151555.jpg

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I cut off the bike carrier hitch and added the custom built bolt on Class III hitch I had on my old 5th wheel, but many of the newer model 5th wheels are coming with a tow rated hitch and 4-pin, typically rated at 300/3000 (slightly under Class II). That's more to do with the RV frame than the hitch.

Assuming the frame aft of the axles is up to the task, for 5th wheels, the weak area is typically at the front overhang and pinbox frame area. For TT the frame (tongue) forward the body. Particularly if you're using a WDH. Personally, I wouldn't do ball on ball as the 5th wheel is so much more stable in wind, etc. but those that do are most often having to use a friction sway bar on the tag trailer. Single axle will move around more than a tandem.

Double tow (or tandem tow) is pretty much illegal most anywhere on the east coast and the states that also allow bumper pull (ball on ball) are maybe half of those.

oledirteh

Reaction score
yea i figured that :(

the camper sits high as is so i doubt it would have been feasible anyhow. i do use load bars on my trailer and have air bags on the work bench i need to put on when warm just mainly to take the hard roads off my back and leveling will help too. i should have went fifth wheel but thats buyers remorse lol. but finding a trailer at 50k with a 14foot usable garage was a hard find

oledirteh

Reaction score
Was thinking about this before, (Double Towing). Found this on the interwebs. Good reference. Brutal was spot on concerning the East Coast. https://www.cars.com/articles/state-laws-can-pull-you-in-many-directions-if-you-double-tow-454787/View attachment 69387

perfect, i could get to that from work :) stupid work blocking my research on non work related stuff!
sucks cause pretty much i tow maryland, PA, WV, kentucky, NC and SC. and sometimes to Tennessee. This year will be new york/maine.

maybe ill just spend the coin and get the rack, or build a better rack to park 2 atv's on top of my bed and pump up the air bags lol

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
perfect, i could get to that from work :) stupid work blocking my research on non work related stuff!
sucks cause pretty much i tow maryland, PA, WV, kentucky, NC and SC. and sometimes to Tennessee. This year will be new york/maine.

maybe ill just spend the coin and get the rack, or build a better rack to park 2 atv's on top of my bed and pump up the air bags lol

While no guarantee, many report that Highway Patrol in some of those "ban" states don't bother out of state plates, but there's always a possibility you get a steep fine and have to drop a trailer. Then there's the (debatable) question of liability coverage if there's an accident, at fault or not. Insurance will likely cover (like they do for any "stupid" like a DUI), but you open yourself to non covered civil litigation, particularly if there's personal injury.

Users who are viewing this thread