Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire sizes in 18"

Rgpracer

Reaction score
Ok, I've lost/misplaced some info on tires, please help.....
I am going to change the stock Firestones on my 2020 2500, it has the stock 275/70r18's....what benifit is there going to a metric size such as a 32x 12.5/18?
I thought about bumping up my size to a 295-70/18. I only pull my camper, thinking of the Coopers.......would you all mind rehashing a little info for me.....

1. Difference in going 275 or metric
2. How big can I go (either standard or metric)
3. Brand you like for highway use that provides a little traction.

I've already spun my tires with camper on dry flat ground.

Thanks and Happy Easter

Ray

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I went 285/75r18. Works out to a tall 35x11.5. Plenty of room. These are taller than most 35's. I leveled and now I want 37's.

These were take offs off my chevy. I went metric cause I got a heavier rated tire for cheaper as opposed to doing a 35x12.5r18. As well as a mileage warranty. Wich let's usually don't have

I tow a fifth wheel. B&w is all the way down and forward. Trailer is dead level. With plenty of room between the rails. (my only reason not going to 37's)

I have falken wildopeak at3w's. Wich I love.

Toyo at3's are supposed to be good. Cooper makes good all terrains as well. Just price compare and weight rating compare the metric and lt sizes.

Rgpracer

Reaction score
Thanks 406....but, why does a person do a 35 or 37 instead of a 275/285/295? Is there an advantage?

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Usually they are. Lower pressure tire. Can be run at lower pressures off-road. They are easy to size. 33" is 33" no matter the hole size. 285/75r15 and 285/75r20 are vastly different tires. Toyo and some other manufacturers used to give you deeper tread in some LT. Ie The toyo at2 "extreme"

It's homestly kinda like why do certain countries use metric and usa use freedom units...just cause

Rama_Lama

Reaction score
Thanks 406....but, why does a person do a 35 or 37 instead of a 275/285/295? Is there an advantage?
Tiresize.com is a wealth of information. It provides all sorts of calculators to compare dimensions and shopping tools.
As for inch vs metric a lot of it is; do you naturally think in inches or centimeters. https://www.discounttire.com/learn/flotation-tires.
Then there is load ratings.
When you go past 295mm wide; E rated tires are max 65 psi. Which can be fun to deal with the factory tpms min pressure. You can fix that with programming or going to a F rated tire
(I went that route) LT305-65R18 F, which equals out to 33.5”x12.2”x18”.

Firebird

Reaction score
I’m running 295/70/18 Nitto G2’s and I also tow a TT, really happy with them.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I have 285/75-18 which are 35” x 11.50” and 3.73s (hemi) I think it’s a great combination for city/hwy and no issues towing. Calibrated with AEV procal snap.

Last edited:

Chris1911

Reaction score
I have 285/75-18 which are 35” x 11.50” and 3.73s (hemi) I think it’s a great combination for city/hwy and no issues towing. Calibrated with AEV procal snap.

That's the size i have been thinking about trying on my 6.4 with 3.73s. Have you calculated your mpg? How does it compare to stock size? Can you tell a difference in the gearing when towing? I want a bigger tire, but don't want to get worse mpg than i already do when towing.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
That's the size i have been thinking about trying on my 6.4 with 3.73s. Have you calculated your mpg? How does it compare to stock size? Can you tell a difference in the gearing when towing? I want a bigger tire, but don't want to get worse mpg than i already do when towing.
Where are you located? atl here.

If you go up in tire size you will lose mpg it’s just physics. there may be a sweet spot where you get a little better on the highway because your rpms are a little lower but for the most part you’ll lose mpg due to losing mechanical advantage.

however, these are only like 6% taller than stock so it’s not a huge difference. (~3 mph at 50mph)

I have not hand calculated my mpg, I haven’t been that interested since my commute is 9 miles twice a week. My computer says mid 12s around town typically and I get 10 towing. I typically only drive on the highway when I’m towing, so I don’t really have any highway mpg numbers.

As far as power and towing.. I didn’t notice much difference, if any, but I did get the tires very early in my ownership. As soon as i got the truck,I text my wheel buddy and bought tires as soon as I got the wheels. When I first got them, there was a difference but I was waiting on my procal so I could calibrate the truck. The shift points were off just enough that it was undesirable to me.

Keep in mind I have a light load ~6500lb, just a Toyota on a trailer. I also don’t commute much so I don’t really care about mpg to be honest

Chris1911

Reaction score
Where are you located? atl here.

If you go up in tire size you will lose mpg it’s just physics. there may be a sweet spot where you get a little better on the highway because your rpms are a little lower but for the most part you’ll lose mpg due to losing mechanical advantage.

however, these are only like 6% taller than stock so it’s not a huge difference. (~3 mph at 50mph)

I have not hand calculated my mpg, I haven’t been that interested since my commute is 9 miles twice a week. My computer says mid 12s around town typically and I get 10 towing. I typically only drive on the highway when I’m towing, so I don’t really have any highway mpg numbers.

As far as power and towing.. I didn’t notice much difference, if any, but I did get the tires very early in my ownership. As soon as i got the truck,I text my wheel buddy and bought tires as soon as I got the wheels. When I first got them, there was a difference but I was waiting on my procal so I could calibrate the truck. The shift points were off just enough that it was undesirable to me.

Keep in mind I have a light load ~6500lb, just a Toyota on a trailer. I also don’t commute much so I don’t really care about mpg to be honest

Thanks. I'm in Warner Robins.

Jdogbroland

Reaction score
I’m running 295/70/18 Nitto G2’s and I also tow a TT, really happy with them.
You have a picture? I think I want to do that exact size and just trying to gouge the look and spacing in wheel well. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread