Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Gurus- What is the best towing tire?

JR2500

Reaction score
Hello, tried to do some research but couldn't find any input.

What is the best towing tire, for use occasionally off road, as well not towing tire pressure and towing tire pressure.

Looking forward for some input from y'all

Thank you in advance,

buzzuti

Reaction score
Have done some research on this myself for a DRW 3500...

Faulken WILDPEAK A/T3W
Cooper DISCOVERER AT3 XLT

These two tires consistently checked most boxes when it came to size and Load Index.
I am sure there are others out there, but I kept landing on these two options.

Now you can go down a rabbit hole and start a huge debate discussing Tire Size & Rear Gear Ratios for optimal towing, however I believe that may or may not be an exercise in futility.

Ultimately, from my understanding, you are looking for a load index of 120+ (a 121 has a max load of 3,197lb per tire)

Lawdog3500

Reaction score

Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W

These two tires consistently checked most boxes when it came to size and Load Index.

Now you can go down a rabbit hole and start a huge debate discussing Tire Size & Rear Gear Ratios for optimal towing, however I believe that may or may not be an exercise in futility.

Ultimately, from my understanding, you are looking for a load index of 120+ (a 121 has a max load of 3,197lb per tire)

Agreed. I repeatedly ran the Coopers listed above on my last two towing rigs. They were very good tires all around.

I am running the Falkens on my RAM. So far, so good. I thought I would try something different this time and two of my friends are running them with good results. Both are good choices.

JR2500

Reaction score

Faulken WILDPEAK A/T3W

Thank you sir for your assistance, this would make it a LOT easier.

I do know, that on the door we supposed to run 80psi on STOCK tires, I'm sure with the Faulken & Cooper will be different.

What do y'all use as far PSI towing and not towing?

buzzuti

Reaction score
The Faulkens have are recommend the same (80psi) cold.
Would have to go peek, but I believe they are the same Load Index.

Decent explanation of Load Index & Load Range here;
https://www.discounttire.com/learn/load-range-load-index

Have not tow'ed yet, however...

From what I have read, if towing heavy, set to the recommended cold psi recommendation, safety first?
I am sure someone else with experience will chime in, @Brutal_HO ?

Lawdog3500

Reaction score
Rear tires: I run about 74 when empty and 80 when towing.

Last edited:

JR2500

Reaction score

From what I have read, if towing heavy, set to the recommended cold psi recommendation, safety first?
Perfect! truly appreciate the input!! thank you sir

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I would avoid the coopers i went through 3 sets all had to be warrantied 1 set cracked around the bead rightaway, second set could not be balanced 3 were out of round third set they cracked again and were at 1/2 tread at 30,000km. The 3rd time they failed i switched out to duratracs (not suggesting them for your use)… id go with falkens they are a decent tire or michelins will be great too

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Empty 55 front, 50 rear but a little lower if hunting/offroad and there's hardpack/ice.

70 Front 75 Rear. That's with 285/65R20 so YMMV.

JR2500

Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas, I'm going to go up a bit as cold I'm at 65 rear and front as well. Will set to 75 rear and 70 front.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas, I'm going to go up a bit as cold I'm at 65 rear and front as well. Will set to 75 rear and 70 front.
I am where you noted after the 500 mile trip home with it fully filled. sheesh...still a log wagon compared to the 1500, but then again, the 1500 won't tow what this will and it is still NOT bad at all, all things considered and compared to truck history...

JR2500

Reaction score
I am where you noted after the 500 mile trip home with it fully filled. sheesh...still a log wagon compared to the 1500, but then again, the 1500 won't tow what this will and it is still NOT bad at all, all things considered and compared to truck history...
Agreed, I come from a 21' Rebel, and in all fairness the 2500 it's not as bad "most" make it seem. Yes, it's heavier ...BUT with that towing torque of the Cummins....I wouldn't change it at all. Now, I don't want to even imagine the HO.

Users who are viewing this thread