Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticking noise when ignition turned to “on”position

KenRiess

Reaction score
HI there,
I have a 2006 2500 ram Diesel. The biggest problems is that it will not start. When I pout the ignition in the “on” position there is a ticking sound coming from near the battery. And I readily admit I may be way out of my league here :).
Here is a video of the ticking sound (please ignore the video itself, it is not helpful)

This is a video of the check engine blinking with the clicking:

Finally, here is where I believe the clicking is coming from. Right next to the passenger side battery.
IMG-20230627-WA0000.jpeg

flan

Reaction score
That is your grid heater relay. You can pull straight up on either one of those connectors with the skinny wires to disable it and see if the problem goes away. Out of curiosity, how old are your batteries?

KenRiess

Reaction score
That is your grid heater relay. You can pull straight up on either one of those connectors with the skinny wires to disable it and see if the problem goes away. Out of curiosity, how old are your batteries?
Thanks a lot, Flan! I will give this a try. One battery is brand new, the other about 10 years old. This is my son's truck and I'll try your suggestion this afternoon and let you know - if that is ok.

flan

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Flan! I will give this a try. One battery is brand new, the other about 10 years old. This is my son's truck and I'll try your suggestion this afternoon and let you know - if that is ok.
No problem. You should always replace batteries in a pair, Or the old one will draw down the new one and will cause electrical problems. 10 years old is wayyyyy too old for a battery to be living under the hood of a Diesel engine.

KenRiess

Reaction score
No problem. You should always replace batteries in a pair, Or the old one will draw down the new one and will cause electrical problems. 10 years old is wayyyyy too old for a battery to be living under the hood of a Diesel engine.
I will get him to replace the old one. Thanks again. I disconnected the grid heater relay and it still did not start; I am embarrassed to say I then cleaned the battery terminals and clamps, as you put it in my mind that it may be electrical, and "BAM" the truck started. All good now. Thanks again for the help, Flan.

Users who are viewing this thread