Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

delete

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Good info - what would the recommended break in be for the stock HD Rams? I can find generic info but nothing specific.

rb92673

Reaction score
Good info - what would the recommended break in be for the stock HD Rams? I can find generic info but nothing specific.
If you can do some brisk 60 - 5 mph slow downs without coming to a complete stop that would help. If not, try and avoid 60 - 0 rapid slots if you can for the first drive. Unfortunately I have no idea what is done to the brakes prior to you taking delivery.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I will describe how I bed brakes. These are not instructions but they are a description of what I do. My recommendation is for you to contact the engineering or technical department of the manufacturer of your brake pads and rotor and to ask them for their instructions. Different pads such as organic, semi-metallic, ceramic, etc. and different casting grades (SAE J431) of gray cast iron rotors may require slightly different bedding processes.

This process usually takes on average 5-7 good solid braking exercises from 60 MPH down to 5 MPH. Did I mention I never fully stop while bedding brakes? I get out away from traffic on a country road where I will not find myself sitting at a stop sign or worse yet, a stop light. Keep in mind that after heat cycling the brakes I am still going to have to drive for 15-20 minutes minimum so my rotors can cool down. Here is a breakdown:
  1. identify a place with little traffic as described above
  2. accelerate to 60 MPH and firmly and quickly increase the pressure on the brake pedal - just shy of a panic stop
  3. when you slow to 5 MPH let off the brakes and accelerate again
  4. on about the fourth or fifth cycle you should begin to feel brake fade and smell the pads outgassing - this is normal
  5. repeat steps two and three another 2-3 times until you are absolutely experiencing a fair amount of brake fade
  6. now it is time to cool off your rotors and the system as a whole - I drive around 35-45 MPH for at least 15-20 minutes without stopping
  7. it I come up to a stop sign I safely proceed though it or I'll take a right at a red light
  8. the important thing is to not stop - you can slow down to crawling at 1-2 MPH but you want to minimize that
Brakes, tires and steering are the most important things to me on a vehicle. Not being able to quickly and safely stop and control your direction are critical to safety.

Nice writeup, that's pretty much what I have always done. Never had a "warped" rotor and always had reliable brakes. I have run EBC on my cars and trucks and always had good luck with their pads. For the 2020, I think the factory pads are good and haven't see the extra duty EBC available for them.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Great info. Pretty much what I do after a brake job. Oddly, I have never given it much thought with a new vehicle. I guess I assumed it had already been done. Not sure why I would assume that.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
I will describe how I bed brakes. These are not instructions but they are a description of what I do. My recommendation is for you to contact the engineering or technical department of the manufacturer of your brake pads and rotor and to ask them for their instructions. Different pads such as organic, semi-metallic, ceramic, etc. and different casting grades (SAE J431) of gray cast iron rotors may require slightly different bedding processes.

This process usually takes on average 5-7 good solid braking exercises from 60 MPH down to 5 MPH. Did I mention I never fully stop while bedding brakes? I get out away from traffic on a country road where I will not find myself sitting at a stop sign or worse yet, a stop light. Keep in mind that after heat cycling the brakes I am still going to have to drive for 15-20 minutes minimum so my rotors can cool down. Here is a breakdown:
  1. identify a place with little traffic as described above
  2. accelerate to 60 MPH and firmly and quickly increase the pressure on the brake pedal - just shy of a panic stop
  3. when you slow to 5 MPH let off the brakes and accelerate again
  4. on about the fourth or fifth cycle you should begin to feel brake fade and smell the pads outgassing - this is normal
  5. repeat steps two and three another 2-3 times until you are absolutely experiencing a fair amount of brake fade
  6. now it is time to cool off your rotors and the system as a whole - I drive around 35-45 MPH for at least 15-20 minutes without stopping
  7. it I come up to a stop sign I safely proceed though it or I'll take a right at a red light
  8. the important thing is to not stop - you can slow down to crawling at 1-2 MPH but you want to minimize that
Brakes, tires and steering are the most important things to me on a vehicle. Not being able to quickly and safely stop and control your direction are critical to safety.
Thanks for the info - that’s great - I’ll have to find a good place to do this after I pick it up. Preferably not back and forth on the street in front of the dealership :)

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Thanks for the info - that’s great - I’ll have to find a good place to do this after I pick it up. Preferably not back and forth on the street in front of the dealership :)
Finding a road to do it on is always the hardest thing to do with a brake job. Even harder if buying from a dealer in my area. LOL

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Yes warped rotors do exist often from people hard braking and hitting puddles in the rain causing the webs in the vented rotors to crack not allowing it to hold true so when turning them it works temporarily until another few heat cycles.... bedding brakes is important but not always going to prevent warping
I’ve been unable to find an actual picture of a warped rotor on the internet. Pics?

Reaction score
'Warped rotors' are most often mis-diagnosed uneven brake pad material transfer. Driver breaks a bit hard, comes to a complete stop and holds the brake (a bit hard) while stopped. This allows heated pad material to transfer to that area of the disc, creating a build-up on one spot. Breaking after that results in the 'pulsing'...or 'chattering' felt as the pads hit that spot on the rotors. It can easily be remedied by 're-bedding' the pads... repeating the basic process mentioned above. A clear road; run up to 50-60mph...break hard & steady down to 5-10mph...repeat 3-4 times. This removes that buildup of material on the discs. Drive a few miles to cool them, then try stopping normally. You should experience a vast improvement. All done without going to a shop and paying money. Try it!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread