Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about replacing my winch cable with a Synthetic rope.

Hammerjack

Reaction score
I've been addressing issue with my used/ still new to me 2018 PW. I upgraded the front end; and it came to my attention, I have no idea about the condition of the winch cable. The previous owner beat the crap out of this truck (lead to the trade in) so I figured I might want to swap out the steel cbale for a synthetic rope. But so for I have not found any video show just how to do that for a PW. Any advice?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I've been addressing issue with my used/ still new to me 2018 PW. I upgraded the front end; and it came to my attention, I have no idea about the condition of the winch cable. The previous owner beat the crap out of this truck (lead to the trade in) so I figured I might want to swap out the steel cbale for a synthetic rope. But so for I have not found any video show just how to do that for a PW. Any advice?
Unspool the steel cable and there is an eyelet on the end with a small set screw holding it to the drum. The new synthetic line will need to be spooled up under tension to pre stretch it a bit.

17Ramguy78

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the same, I have not even unspooled the steel cable on my 17. I will see what it looks like and that will determine which way I go.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the same, I have not even unspooled the steel cable on my 17. I will see what it looks like and that will determine which way I go.
Steel cable last a long time, especially on a street vehicle. It’s probably fine but There are many benefits to switching to synthetic.

I have one vehicle with steel cable and synthetic on the two that get used more

Saskman

Reaction score
Synthetic cable is the only way to go it’s safer and it doesn’t maintain any kinetic energy if it breaks and you don’t have to worry getting poked in your hands from a piece of wire.

I’ve had one installed on my jeep Wrangler in 2010 and 14 years later it’s still good and it’s still strong as it was new

The other good thing about synthetic cable. If it breaks for whatever reason you aren’t stuck with a broken cable and no hook you can do a proper not and reconnect the hook and you’re good to go.

oppizzippo

Reaction score
Go for it! Check your fairlead, you'll want to make sure its very smooth and not damaged or it'll damage the synthetic rope. Might want to budget in a new one as part of the upgrade.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Go for it! Check your fairlead, you'll want to make sure its very smooth and not damaged or it'll damage the synthetic rope. Might want to budget in a new one as part of the upgrade.
This is important. Also, the drum should be de-burred / sanded before switching

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread