Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Miracle and Then The Boredom ***Warning Graphic Post***

BigDaddyKong

Reaction score
2023 was not my best year. I had an issue with my thyroid becoming too enlarged. It had wrapped itself around my trachea, and esophagus and shoved them off to one side. It even had my carotid arteries in my neck dislodged and moved out of place. This left me very sick this entire summer. I had really bad headaches, vision loss, and uncontrolled tire spells. I was put on steroids for almost 7 months due to the arteries in my temple. This delayed getting surgery to take out my thyroid.

As you can see from this photo from about a week before the surgery, how my neck was bulged out. The other side was tougher because the thyroid had went down behind my sternum and was in my aorta area. Back in August, my little 19 year chihuahua had to be put to sleep. I found this little guy a week before my surgery.

Glasses Vision care Ear Beard Iris

The surgery was going to be huge. They estimated it would take 12 hours to get it done, if they did not have to do half now and do a second surgery for the other half. It all deepened on if I got vocal cord paralysis, which is common in this type of surgery.

When the day came, I was on the OR table for 14 hours. This is what they took out.

Textile Plant Pattern Woolen Magenta

Food Ingredient Cuisine Recipe Dish

It weighed in at almost 3 pounds according to the pathology report. The great news is there was no cancer. There was a little bit of time after they closed me up, my blood pressure crashed after they gave me some medicine to bring it down after it started going up. I went into preop at 6:30AM that morning, and did not get back to SICU until 11:45 that night. They put me on the OR table at 6:50 that morning, and did not get me closed until about 8 that night.

I was cut ear to ear.
Forehead Nose Cheek Skin Chin

The amazing part was my surgery was on Thursday, and I was discharged Saturday morning by 11AM. No one expected the surgery to go that good. The only issues I had was I got a nasty sore on my tongue from the ET tube, and a bit of a muscle sore on my hip from being on the table so long. The really crazy part is after such a big surgery, I came out looking 15 years younger.

Forehead Glasses Cheek Vision care Beard

I have a chin, and dimples when I smile now. The wife can't get over it. The worst part now is the boredom. There is only so much TV and YouTube a person can watch. People can't put content out fast enough when you sit here all day watching it. I am so excited to go back to work next week. Forums are almost dead now for some groups because of FB.

They thought I was being too optimistic when I told them I planned on being back to work 3 weeks after my surgery. I guess I get to show them.

2023 left me so sick, I was not able to ride, or even get most of my lawn work done. I honestly felt like I was going to die a few times. 2024 is going to be so much better for me. It's been so warm the last couple days, I had to take the new puppy on a tractor ride to put up some trash cans for an elderly family member. That felt so good. I do get a kick out of telling people I was 3/4's of the way surgically decapitated and was still home in two days. I am one bad man hahahaha.

I hope everyone had a great holiday, and an even better new year. Sorry for the ramble, I am just bored and killing time.

whitexc

Reaction score
Wow, quite the story. Sorry you had to put the pup down. Best of luck with the recovery and cheers to a better year ahead…for many of us!

Sent from me

brettknudson

Reaction score
2023 was not my best year. I had an issue with my thyroid becoming too enlarged. It had wrapped itself around my trachea, and esophagus and shoved them off to one side. It even had my carotid arteries in my neck dislodged and moved out of place. This left me very sick this entire summer. I had really bad headaches, vision loss, and uncontrolled tire spells. I was put on steroids for almost 7 months due to the arteries in my temple. This delayed getting surgery to take out my thyroid.

As you can see from this photo from about a week before the surgery, how my neck was bulged out. The other side was tougher because the thyroid had went down behind my sternum and was in my aorta area. Back in August, my little 19 year chihuahua had to be put to sleep. I found this little guy a week before my surgery.

Glasses Vision care Ear Beard Iris

The surgery was going to be huge. They estimated it would take 12 hours to get it done, if they did not have to do half now and do a second surgery for the other half. It all deepened on if I got vocal cord paralysis, which is common in this type of surgery.

When the day came, I was on the OR table for 14 hours. This is what they took out.

Textile Plant Pattern Woolen Magenta

Food Ingredient Cuisine Recipe Dish

It weighed in at almost 3 pounds according to the pathology report. The great news is there was no cancer. There was a little bit of time after they closed me up, my blood pressure crashed after they gave me some medicine to bring it down after it started going up. I went into preop at 6:30AM that morning, and did not get back to SICU until 11:45 that night. They put me on the OR table at 6:50 that morning, and did not get me closed until about 8 that night.

I was cut ear to ear.
Forehead Nose Cheek Skin Chin

The amazing part was my surgery was on Thursday, and I was discharged Saturday morning by 11AM. No one expected the surgery to go that good. The only issues I had was I got a nasty sore on my tongue from the ET tube, and a bit of a muscle sore on my hip from being on the table so long. The really crazy part is after such a big surgery, I came out looking 15 years younger.

Forehead Glasses Cheek Vision care Beard

I have a chin, and dimples when I smile now. The wife can't get over it. The worst part now is the boredom. There is only so much TV and YouTube a person can watch. People can't put content out fast enough when you sit here all day watching it. I am so excited to go back to work next week. Forums are almost dead now for some groups because of FB.

They thought I was being too optimistic when I told them I planned on being back to work 3 weeks after my surgery. I guess I get to show them.

2023 left me so sick, I was not able to ride, or even get most of my lawn work done. I honestly felt like I was going to die a few times. 2024 is going to be so much better for me. It's been so warm the last couple days, I had to take the new puppy on a tractor ride to put up some trash cans for an elderly family member. That felt so good. I do get a kick out of telling people I was 3/4's of the way surgically decapitated and was still home in two days. I am one bad man hahahaha.

I hope everyone had a great holiday, and an even better new year. Sorry for the ramble, I am just bored and killing time.

Thanks for sharing. You deserve an awesome 2024. Happy New Year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flan

Reaction score
Awesome story of fight or flight, you obviously chose to fight, and won! Thanks for sharing your story, it’s inspirational for sure. I wish you the best 2024, how can it be any worse? Stay strong brother.

Enve46

Reaction score
Wishing you a great start to 2024 and thanks for sharing your story! God bless!

Grey

Reaction score
Hang in there guy, my thyroid had gone mad as well, removed about 5 years ago. Takes a little time to get the Synthroid dose adjusted, but you will be fine. AC is your friend in the summer. Blood test on a reg basis they adjust your med, all will be good. So enjoy the new ride and be well.

BigDaddyKong

Reaction score
Hang in there guy, my thyroid had gone mad as well, removed about 5 years ago. Takes a little time to get the Synthroid dose adjusted, but you will be fine. AC is your friend in the summer. Blood test on a reg basis they adjust your med, all will be good. So enjoy the new ride and be well.

It looks like they got my dosage correct from the get go. I was lucky, and they saved my calcium nodes. For the last year, my levels was so out of whack, I had the skin of a meth addict. Dry, pealing off in layers everywhere. It took two days after starting my meds, and I have almost perfect skin. No dry spots anywhere. Sucks for the wife because she is part spider monkey, that loved to pick at my skin and peal it lol. Now she is mad because its all cleared up.

Blood tests three weeks out came back perfect with no adjustment needed. I am very strict on don't eat or have any caffeine for the first hour after taking my meds of the morning. Let me tell you, it sucks waiting an hour on that first cup of coffee lol.

Users who are viewing this thread