Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspension upgrade

MxzGary

Reaction score
I have a 2021 ram 2500 6.4 and I bought a 2021 cirrus 820 truck camper
Camper with gear weights around 3600 LBS
The upgrades I did was new coil springs for the rear 35%over, rancho shocks, airlift 5000lbs air bags helwig sway bar
Tried timbrems was to solid rode way to rough took off after test ride
With the upgrades I did to the rear it handles a little better but it still sways and rocks more than it should
Any suggestions would be appreciated
I believe if it had leaf springs it would handle better, with the coil springs located on the inside of the frame you lose stability

jsalbre

Reaction score
I didn't know 2500s had a payload rating that high.
The highest payload you can get in a 2500 is a Tradesman regular cab long bed 2wd, at 4010#. That's the only configuration that a 2500 could possibly handle that camper, and even then you aren't bringing much else with you. The next highest payload cap is the same truck in 4x4 at 3680, and everything else drops under 3500, so unless he's driving around with one driver and nothing else in the truck he's over.

That said, the only hope you have of making that thing remotely stable on a 2500 is airbags with a lot of air in them, and probably a massive rear sway bar.

oppizzippo

Reaction score
I was thinking if they were tied together that might explain the sway. I wonder if sumo springs on the front would help? I think you've done everything else I would suggest other than trade for a 3500.

thecastle

Reaction score
So the problem is you significantly raised your center of gravity by putting in a truck camper. I.E. a lot of weight up high. This is a common problem with truck campers. The problem is that the 2500 coil springs are located more towards the center of the truck than the 3500 leafs putting it at a disadvantage with high CG loads. Adding helper air bags outbound of the springs will increase stability, as well as adding a bigger set of anti-roll bars (which cost you some ride quality i.e. more head toss). Getting the front and rears upgraded and the right sizes makes a big difference. Changing their ratios will also affect over or understeer. Then adding better dampers, are what you can do. Going to a truck camper dealer with experience on this can help as well. I've looked at this exact camper myself, and have hesitated on my 3500 SRW which has a max payload of 3960lbs, and I went to the cat scales and the truck weighed in 8660lbs without me in it. That means my real payload 3440lbs (with camper shell and 50 gallon diesel tank full/full DEF). Much less than the specs would indicate, meaning this camper would be at the beyond/limits of a 3500 diesel SRW. The camper shell probably weighs what I do, add in a dog, wife, some stuff in the truck and I wouldn't be surprised if my payload drops to 3100lbs. Weight of stuff adds up faster than you would think, the turn buckles, etc all subtract from payload as well. Most of these hardside truck campers are really 3500 dually.... or 4500-5500...

Last edited:

thecastle

Reaction score
P.S. You probably already know this. But I'd CAT scale your truck with the camper on it. Your camper weight is empty specified as shipped from the factory, before batteries, propane and dealer installed accessories, and water/your stuff. It also doesn't account for the weight of adding the turnbuckles/tie-downs to your truck. I'd suspect with that camper, the weight of passengers and your truck, there is a good chance you've exceeded the payload of your truck. I'm not the weight police.... But given the generous weight ratings truck manufactures like to slap on trucks for the truck wars / marketing. Its not going to ride and handle as ideally as you'd like, mods will go so far, but you might have too much camper for your truck to make the trip comfortable,. Thats why going to a 3500/dually makes a big difference. The wider stance adds stability, the wider setting of the suspension. The high payload capabiliites. Maxing/going beyond max capabilities of a given truck is never pleasant, ideal travel for most owners is somewhere less than maximum capability. The downside of dually is that you pretty much have killed your off roading capability. I'm used to tall trucks I have an F-450 bucket truck that is 12 feet tall when stowed, with a heavy steel boom up high. Those curve speed limits say 40mph, my truck likes 35mph. You just end up having to go a lot slower than you'd think, my bucket truck weighs over 13K when empty, but most of the weight is up high, and it has the low deflection suspension....

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I can’t comment on the Ram’s ability with a slide in camper.

However, we had a Lance 915 (9.5’ so small with no slides) that we bought in 1998 and had until 2014.

The dry weight listed on the tag was sub 2,000 pounds.

When loaded for camping and put on a scale it was almost always over 3,000 pounds.

I would plan on it weighing at least 1,000 pounds more than the amount listed on the tag maybe more. With slides maybe much more.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Honestly, you don't have the right truck for the job. A 2500 with coils is not a good match for a in bed camper, Should have got a 3500. Not what you want to hear but that's the truth of the matter. You can add some band-aids but it's not going to resolve the issue.

BikePilot

Reaction score
Imo you could squeak by with a SRW 3500, but really are in DRW territory. Just as a reference I occasionally haul 350 gallons of water, plus tools, containers, recovery gear and five people in my diesel 3500 SRW Megacab with factory air assist. I'm guessing that's a 4100lbs load or so. It is rock solid and steady with that load.

Users who are viewing this thread