Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stripped oil drain plug

2Blu4u

Reaction score
Ram 3500 6.7 HO Limited Patriot Blue shortbox. Received my truck via factory order if February. Went to drain oil with 3/8 drive extension and ratchet and plug just kept spinning. Attempted to tighten back up and it didn’t grab. 1st oil change @ 3500 miles. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Have an appointment at local dealer next week. Sure hope the pan doesn’t need to be dropped. I believe they would have to lift the engine to accomplish this. Currently has a good seal and not dripping.

G’Dave

Reaction score
Going to be a big fight with the dealer wish you well. I would get a shop to open up the thread and put a fumoto in or something

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. If the dealer won't help you out (i.e. repair it at no charge), here is what you might want to consider:-

1. Remove oem drain plug (assuming it will unscrew)
2. After oil has drained, try to clean up the thread - remove any shavings, and then clean meticulously
3. Use something like JB Weld to secure the Fumoto oil drain valve. (since the thread is no longer functioning correctly, this shouldn't be an issue).
4. Refill with fresh oil.

Riddick

Reaction score
As suggested above the dealer might give you a hard time with this, I hope they do not. If they try to slap you with a hefty repair bill I would take it somewhere else. In my experience with stripped fittings if you can pull out while unscrewing, generally they will thread out. You can also apply heat to the drain plug, this will help expand the plug and it might thread out.

Once removed DO NOT put JB weld on the new plug, that is a terrible idea. You will need to find a plug one size bigger and tap the pan. Once the new pan is tapped run a few quarts of oil through the motor with the drain plug out to wash out any shavings in the pan.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
They sell kits just for stripped pans its basically a bung that cuts new threads with an oring seal then it has a drain plug built in to it. I have used them on tons of stripped pans from the local quick lube shops they would send the cars to us. They work well thats if the dealer does not come good for it

CdnHO

Reaction score
If your lucky, it’s the plug that’s stripped and not the pan.

amauri

Reaction score
Same thing happened to my 2018 when I changed the oil the first time with 5k miles since I bought is brand new.

As I unscrewed the drain plug, it was not turning very easily.
I slowly turned it back and forth until it finally came out, looking at the threads I am guessing it was over tightened or who knows what. See photo bellow.

The threads are M18x1.50 and I just happened to have a tap that size, the threads on the oil pan cleaned up nicely.
Called the local Ram dealers and none had a drain plug in stock, the cost is $27.

Called the Cummins parts dealer and got one for $9 including tax. p/n 5301901

Attachments

• Ram drain plug.jpg
    Ram drain plug.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 31

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Same thing happened to my 2018 when I changed the oil the first time with 5k miles since I bought is brand new.

As I unscrewed the drain plug, it was not turning very easily.
I slowly turned it back and forth until it finally came out, looking at the threads I am guessing it was over tightened or who knows what. See photo bellow.

The threads are M18x1.50 and I just happened to have a tap that size, the threads on the oil pan cleaned up nicely.
Called the local Ram dealers and none had a drain plug in stock, the cost is $27.

Called the Cummins parts dealer and got one for $9 including tax. p/n 5301901
The 6.7 powerjoke is notorious for that the threads on the plug are so soft at least the local ford dealer keeps 15-20 in stock.

2Blu4u

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone’s input/suggestions/support. Dealership took full ownership, pulled pan off, replaced with new pan/plug. Old pan had nut-sert that was spinning within pan. Quite the conundrum never saw coming. Glad was able to get resolved. Don’t want to think how intrusive the actual job was to not just dropping pan, sure a few components/links had to be removed to gain access.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Cummins oil pans SUCK to change.... Good luck OP. Although perhaps you'd get lucky and the pan threads are fine.

Users who are viewing this thread