Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis Exec Says Hydrogen-Powered Ram 5500 Is Coming

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score

Stellantis Exec Says Hydrogen-Powered Ram 5500 Is Coming​

Should See A New Hydrogen Fuel Cell Commercial Truck Very Soon...​

my23-Chassis-Cab-02-gallery-01.jpeg

In a recent interview with the German publication Welt am Sonntag, Stellantis’ Chief Technology Officer for Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle Development, Jean-Michel Billig, unveiled an exciting development in the automotive industry—a hydrogen fuel cell-powered Ram 5500 destined for the North American market in the next year. This groundbreaking move underscores Stellantis’ commitment to sustainability and innovation in the heavy-duty truck segment.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Wonderful, by the time CA outlaws diesels in new model year trucks, Stellantis will be onboard to kill the CTD

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Rumor has it they’re already attempting to build an in-house diesel option to replace the Cummins…

Terrible idea but I wouldn’t doubt it. It’s all about saving money. It would be a brand killer. If ford could get that contract, my gosh that would be killer

Lumpskie

Reaction score
I think that RAM is going to use the new Cummins 6.7 Liter engine:

"Cummins announced its plans to release a 6.7-liter version similar to the X15H which will be built on Cummins’ new fuel-agnostic platform. Below the head gasket of the hydrogen engine, it is built with largely similar components to today’s engines. However, above the head gasket, the engine has different components for different fuel types."

I am actually pretty interested in this. If the Cummins can leverage their lessons learned in diesel to produce a hydrogen vehicle that uses the same block as the current 6.7... that could be a great alternative to being forced into other immature tech.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Hydrogen fuel-cell and hydrogen powered are very different. A hydrogen fuel-cell vehicle generates electricity from hydrogen and uses that to power electric motors. Definitely not what the Cummins hydrogen engine is going to do.

ppine

Reaction score
One of the reasons I committed to buyin a new diesel is that they can be converted to hydrogen. EVs may end up just being commuter vehicles and a stepping stone to something more permanent like hydrogen. Soon there will be conversion kits for diesel fuel to hydrogen powered 6.7 liter engines.

The laws that keep showing up to outlaw ICE engines can easily be changed. Technology changes the playing surface. Economics create practical solutions that drive legislation.
People need to relax a little about this subject. We are going to fine with the vehicles we have.

Users who are viewing this thread