Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SRT oil filter

GratefulDenglish

Reaction score
I have been using the comparable SRT oil
filter from (WIX 57899XP) for the last two changes. Anyone else using the same? Larger capacity with slight increase on the by-pass from 12 to 16psi. Ordering another for an up coming change and figured I would get some input / offer my experience to the forum.
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI:16
Anti-Drain Back Valve:Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI:275
Max Flow Rate:9-11 GPM

dieselscout80

Reaction score
filter from (WIX 57899XP) for the last two changes. Anyone else using the same? Larger capacity with slight increase on the by-pass from 12 to 16psi. Ordering another for an up coming change and figured I would get some input / offer my experience to the forum.
What are the specs on the stock filter?

Nick

Reaction score
Just put. one on my truck . Six makes good filters .

silver billet

Reaction score
My thoughts as well. Being we probably run more at lower RPMs than a SRT, we need the higher flow rate.

These engines use postive displacement oil pumps, meaning, doesn't matter how restrictive the filter is or how thick the oil is, it's always going to pump the same amount of oil through at a given RPM. The PSI might increase on a choked/more restricted filter, but the actual flow or volume of oil will not change, the pump forces the same fluid through regardless.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
:confused::oops:
I understand the pump. But the filter IS a restriction. AND it will reduce the amount of flow from the pump.
The oil flows from the pump to the filter, then to the engine. IF the filter gets too restrictive, THEN the bypass opens. So the oil no longer gets filtered.

silver billet

Reaction score
:confused::oops:
I understand the pump. But the filter IS a restriction. AND it will reduce the amount of flow from the pump.
The oil flows from the pump to the filter, then to the engine. IF the filter gets too restrictive, THEN the bypass opens. So the oil no longer gets filtered.

It won't reduce the flow, it will just increase the pressure of it. The pump forces the same amount of oil through. You will not change the flow rate by getting a more or less restrictive filter.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
How can it push the same amount if oil thru the filter if it's more restrictive? Doesent make sense.
The pump is rated at a certain amount of flow for a certain amount of restriction. As the restriction goes up, so does the pressure going in, but the flow out goes down.
Also the oil pump has a pressure relief valve in it for when the restriction on the output causes too much pressure out of the pump.

Last edited:

GratefulDenglish

Reaction score
I am following the flow rate/oil pump/pressure discussion but think if someone could provide the specs on the OEM Mopar filter regarding the by-pass and max flow rate then we would have a true comparison between the OEM and the Wix XP (SRT spec). My thoughts are the slightly larger filter has more media for filtering, a comparable max flow rate and a higher by-pass rate. This information is based on Wix filters specs and seems that the SRT XP is a plus. OEM information would be the only way to compare apples to apples.

Hibiki54

Reaction score
Unless you are racing or have a special application it doesn't matter. Use OEM or similar filter.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I use the wix 57060xp. I have had better luck with it than the mopar filter. By better luck I mean longer OCI before the ADBV fails.

Users who are viewing this thread