Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speedometer Calibration

RetNavyCPO

Reaction score
I have a 2018 RAM 2500 Tradesman Diesel 4x4, Manual Transmission w/P285/70/R17 tires & stock (3.42:1) rear end. These tires are 7.0% bigger than factory original. Consequently, I have a speedometer/odometer error. I have been using a Hypertech calibrator to reset the tire size. The people at Hypertech are friendly, but at this point, I think I know more about their device. My question is there a program update from Hypertech that should be requested? I am going to contact the dealer for options.

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
The go to for tire calibration has been alfaobd. I think I've read there are a couple others that might do it without errors but not sure.

With alfaobd, there is a whole procedure you have to do to make sure you don't get the Xmas tree of dashboard warning lights.

You have to change the tire size in the body computer then the abs module. Then clear error codes. There is a PDF walkthrough somewhere on the forum.

But definitely look into getting alfaobd (you need something like obdmx series adapters for it to work)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The go to for tire calibration has been alfaobd. I think I've read there are a couple others that might do it without errors but not sure.

With alfaobd, there is a whole procedure you have to do to make sure you don't get the Xmas tree of dashboard warning lights.

You have to change the tire size in the body computer then the abs module. Then clear error codes. There is a PDF walkthrough somewhere on the forum.

But definitely look into getting alfaobd (you need something like obdmx series adapters for it to work)

We're generally recommending a lower cost and just as effective alternative, the vLinker MC+

2018 shouldn't need the SGW bypass cable.

Between AlfaOBD and Jscan, there are pro/con.

AlfaOBD can backup/save/restore the BCM config, Jscan can't.
Jscan can program FOB, AlfaOBD can't.

RetNavyCPO

Reaction score
I've been in contact with the folks at Hypertech. In fact, they called me this morning, regarding software updates for my programmer. I'll try again. BTW, the dealer can fix the problem, but must first diagnose my truck. But, they do have a warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread