Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slamming Hyundai! Terrible

Autobroker

Reaction score
I have a business associate who owns a 2012 Hyundai Sonata with a 2.4L 4 cylinder motor. The car wouldn't start, so she had AAA come to jump start it. They told her the engine is frozen? The car has a little over 106K miles, so it shouldn't have locked up. She had it towed to the Hyundai dealer and they confirmed that the motor is locked up. I remember hearing about Hyundai and Kia having problems with their 2.4L 4 cyl motors, so I did a Google search and sure enough, they had class action lawsuits against them. Here' s a summary of the problem:

When the motors were built in the Alabama factory, they didn't do a thorough job cleaning the metal shaving from the machining, so they break loose at random times and destroy the motor. Millions of cars are affected and were supposed to be recalled, per NHTSA. They were recalled due to safety issues - the car could shut down in the middle of traffic, so it's not safe. NHTSA told Hyundai/Kia to replace the motors, however their brilliant legal team found another solution. During the second class action, Hyundai was able to trade off the replacement of motors for a lifetime warranty on the motor. But there's a stipulation - Hyundai/Kia would install this KDSS software modification, which uses the knock sensor to "look" for other noises. When it finds the right one, the car is thrown into a limp home mode. The purpose is to keep the motor from locking up, thus no more safety problem. Here's the kicker; IF the owner does not have the KDSS software installed, the owner is cited for gross negligence and the lifetime warranty is voided! To me, this doesn't make sense, because the purpose of the KDSS software update is to keep the car from stopping in traffic. Once the motor is damaged to the point where noises are sensed, it's too late - the motor is wrecked. Cylinder walls, crank mains, connecting rod bearings, wrist pins, valve train, cam bearings, etc.

When I told her this, in her layman's terms, she said the KDSS system is like a whistle. When it detects something is wrong, it blows the whistle and the thing that controls the engine/transmission will put it into a mode to get you home safely. The car is already ruined, but at least you're not going to get into an accident. I was impressed, she summarized it better than I could.

Here's the stinky part. Hyundai/Kia company knows they didn't build the motor correctly. To sidestep their responsibility, they claim that the owner is being grossly negligent for not installing the KDSS software update. In fact, the owner is being so negligent that they claim it now voids the warranty given in the class action! Really???

So, Hyundai refused to honor the warranty on her car and she was stuck paying for the repair herself - no help from Hyundai! In the last six months, I've had two other clients complain about their Kia cars - again bad motors. The first was a 2017 Kia Soul. 101K miles and the compression was bad and the CEL threw. The dealer tried to get her for $10K for a new long block. I told her to complain and be the squeaky wheel. It worked and they put a used motor in the car. Of course, they told her it was okay and she can depend on the car now. Funny thing, when she first brought the car in and asked if they could fix her motor, they said no. When she asked if they could put a used engine in, they said no. $10K for a new long block or she'd be wasting her money. Then they throw in a used motor!

The second one was pretty bad. He bought a 2017 Kia Sorrento used a few years ago. Since he's the second owner, he doesn't get the 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. He only gets the 5yr/60K warranty. As you can guess, 69K miles and his 2.4L 4 cyl motor throws a CEL. The dealer checks it and cylinder 4 has 20 lbs of compression. They throw a scope down the spark plug hole and the cylinder walls are scored pretty badly. Another $10K repair is needed. They can't rebuild the motor, nor can they put a used one in. The dealer tells him that those two solution will make the car dangerous to drive! He must get the new long block. He's fighting them, but I don't have much faith in the company.

People gave me a hard time when I told them I'm buying a Ram Truck - most didn't know it's a brand, so I told them it's a Dodge Truck! Oh boy, the snarky remarks were flying. You're in the business and you're getting a Dodge? They're the worst company - why are you doing this? I once had a Dodge and I'll never buy one again! On and on and on!

So tell me, when was the last time you heard about a Dodge, Ram, Chrysler or Jeep product losing a motor at 69K miles? Or 101K? Or 106K. How about three in six months? How about Dodge, Ram, Chrysler or Jeep snubbing NHTSA and shirking responsibility for building a defective vehicle? Screwing their own clients, because they made a bad vehicle?

People think these Hyundai and Kia vehicles are so great. Wake up folks, the internet is full of horror stories of motors blowing up, the company running from their responsibility - they made a bad car, then fix it! Be honorable! Repent! Nooooo, instead they use the court system to trick the judge into creating a loophole, where they can escape responsibility! Organizations like Consumer Reports and JD Powers must think this type of action is okay, because they rate Hyundai and Kia as near the top. And they think Genesis is better than Lexus!

Okay, let's look at Lexus for a minute. We've owned four Lexus cars. My mom has owned two. My sister one. Our daughter one. 200K miles - no sweat! Here's how good Lexus is. In 2017, we received a notice that Lexus will replace our dashboard, because they've received complaints that the material gets soft. Oh, by the way, this is for a 2008 RX 350 that had a 4 year/50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. We're 5 years out of warranty at this point. Oh, our car had over 160K miles too. I called the local Lexus dealer to ask if this was for real. He set up an appointment to inspect the car. Long story short, he authorized a new dashboard - they ordered the part and when it was in, I dropped the car off and they installed it! $0! They even offered a loaner, but I couldn't take it! When we got the car back, they washed it for us too!

Story #2. Our daughter has a 2006 Lexus IS 350 with over 160K miles. She told me it smells like gas after driving the car, so I told her to take it to the mechanic. She's been busy, so she's driving her other car. Then I received a notice in the mail. Lexus IS cars have some sort of fuel issue, where a part cracks and gas fumes come out. Note that this is a 16 year old car with 160K + miles. Lexus wants the car back, so they can inspect it and repair the system! Unbelievable! And they'll tow it too!

Lexus tried to repair cars that are WAYYYY out of warranty, however Hyundai/Kia finds a loophole so they don't need to honor their warranty!

Sorry for the long rant, but I'm very, very, very disappointed with Hyundai/Kia. And after this fiasco, I'm not buying one!

I'd love to hear if you had the same thing happen.

jadmt

Reaction score
there are plenty of stories of Ram motors and trannys going out before 10 years and 106,000 miles as well as about every other brand. read enough forums and you will be disappointed n your Ram truck too.....

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hyundi replaced my sister inlaws engine when it started knocking way after the warrenty was up also didnt ask for any service receipts as it was a known issue with the 1.8 engines when #2 bore was over bored from the factory

Autobroker

Reaction score
there are plenty of stories of Ram motors and trannys going out before 10 years and 106,000 miles as well as about every other brand. read enough forums and you will be disappointed n your Ram truck too.....
The last time I saw such a large number of complaints against a manufacturer in such a small amount of time was with Nissan and their CVT. Other than that, I haven't seen so many complaints in such a short time.

Please remember that I'm in the business. I help people get every make of car, so it's not normal to hear about so many motors going out in such a short time (last six months). In fact, the last motor failure I heard about was in a 2003 Sequoia with over 240K miles. And there was the Camry with over 310K miles. This is expected - the owners sure got their money's worth. The Hyundai and Kia buyers did not.

Autobroker

Reaction score
I also remember Nissan not only honoring their warranty, but also they would pay for part of the CVT tranny repair. I think it was around $2K the dealer would charge. My mechanic told me there's no way he could do it for that amount. So at least Nissan was being fair about things.

Autobroker

Reaction score
Back around 1982, we owned a 1978 Buick Century wagon. It had the new even fire crank. The motor went out at around 53K miles. We brought the car back to Buick and they rebuilt the motor for us. They charged us for parts and they paid the labor. Very fair, since the car was out of warranty. GM knew there was a flaw in the motor and they did the right thing. Hyundai/Kia knows they produced a defective motor and they won't stand behind their product. To me, that's wrong and I'll tell my clients who want to buy one.

Autobroker

Reaction score
Go to the website carcomplaints.com. Search the US built Hyundai Sonata's, 2010 and on. 2011 has over 900 NHTSA complaints on the motor. I checked Ram and the 2500 doesn't have that many complaints combined for all the years they were produced. Yes, the old Dodge Grand Caravan, Durango, 1500, etc weren't very good cars. I owned a 2016 Dodge Journey and I got rid of it before it had 2,000 miles. The seats were too uncomfortable. I also had a 2017 Jeep Patriot - this time I got the High Altitude package with the leather seats. Okay, seats were better, but the CEL threw at 181 miles. I got rid of that car before 2,000 miles also. I swore off of Mopar products at that point and I haven't owned one until this new 2022 Ram 2500. To me, it feels like they've resolved their cheap feel and poor initial quality ... though I did have a recall on the ABS software and the truck had only 600 miles.

The JD Powers study is considered very biased in my professional circles. It's for retail buyers - the general public. The study speaks of vehicle dependability, but it's only for three years. I want to know how my vehicle will perform when it's out of warranty. Most of my clients would like that information too and also, they want to know how the manufacturer will help if something goes wrong and the car is out of warranty - of course major items that shouldn't go out like motors and transmissions.

Autobroker

Reaction score
Hyundi replaced my sister inlaws engine when it started knocking way after the warrenty was up also didnt ask for any service receipts as it was a known issue with the 1.8 engines when #2 bore was over bored from the factory
I was just thinking of something. If a motor is over bored, how did it pass a smog test? Compression must've been too low in that cylinder, right? Funny, because my client with the Kia Sorrento has the 2.4L motor and cylinder #4 has 20 psi compression. Way below 140 ish normal psi. Kia didn't say anything about an over bored cylinder. Remember, this is 69K miles - very disgusting that Kia didn't lift a finger to help.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I was just thinking of something. If a motor is over bored, how did it pass a smog test? Compression must've been too low in that cylinder, right? Funny, because my client with the Kia Sorrento has the 2.4L motor and cylinder #4 has 20 psi compression. Way below 140 ish normal psi. Kia didn't say anything about an over bored cylinder. Remember, this is 69K miles - very disgusting that Kia didn't lift a finger to help.
The 1.8 had 85000km when it got swapped out and they dont do smog here….

waveslayer

Reaction score
I had two motors replaced on my 2012 Hyundai, finally gave the car to my maintenance director for free. I was over Hyundai. They did pay me for both motors.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll flog any Avis rental. Kia, Hyundai, Camaro, don't care.

LOL. Avis president's club so sometimes I get some nice new rockets. Genesis G70 RT in DFW. The Kia K5 I had in HI needed new front tires when I got done with it on the twisties in Waimea Canyon State Park. Not high HP, but light and quick.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I haven't owned either one but a guy I work with that used to be my boss is on his 3rd straight little Kia in 4-5 years. He's been driving a ton of miles so I believe he's been trading as his warranty runs out. Not sure which model but I'm sure they're a little 4 banger car. He loves them. I guess he can have them, I'm not interested.

My similar rant would be about the GM CP4 fuel pump issue on the 2011-2016 Duramax trucks. They knew they screwed up by going with that pump but they used it for 6 years and never took responsibility. When it fails out of warranty, the unsuspecting owner is in for a pretty pricey repair, usually $10,000+. Complete BS in my opinion. I have no idea why Ram elected to use it for 2 years but at least they're taking responsibility for their mistake. That was part of the reason I elected to buy a Ram this time.

And although my first new vehicle purchase right out of high school was 4cyl 5spd Dakota, I've never considered myself a Dodge buy but I've been around some Caravans and I actually always thought they were pretty respectable. I used to work for a small family owned farm and home store and the owners had a couple of Caravans. I always thought they were comfortable, ran fine and got good gas mileage. They never seemed to give much trouble. I would have actually considered owning one a few years ago but I could never get my wife out of Suburbans/Expeditions:)

Users who are viewing this thread