Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skinny 35s

el_barto

Reaction score
Anyone running skinny 35s (35x10.5) on their PW? Looks like there are a couple companies that make them, like the Kenda Kleaver RT. Skinnier would theoretically be better in snow/slush since it cuts into the snow. Downsides, less footprint when aired down for deep snow or sand; and if you need a replacement it’sa less common size to find.

Or it might make sense to just use as a spare, it will keep the same diameter if you have 35x12.5 / 315/70 but not hang down as low.

just food for thought

TrailWhale

Reaction score
Nitto has a 35x11.50 in the Trail Grappler. Excellent tire and an awesome size!
I've always been a fan of "pizza cutters" but don't really see many fullsize rigs running them.

jadmt

Reaction score
Nitto has a 35x11.50 in the Trail Grappler. Excellent tire and an awesome size!
I've always been a fan of "pizza cutters" but don't really see many fullsize rigs running them.
unfortunately it is only c rated. Great jeep tire tho. Interco makes some awesome pizza cutters.

Iowa Wagon

Reaction score
Pizza cutters are fairly popular with the Toyota offroad crowd (where I come from previously). Seems the taller you go from the 33, the less common they are.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
I ran a 285/75R17 toyo open country at2 and I was a fan. I prefer narrow tires though, that is just a 34 though. Assuming the power wagon comes with a 18" spare a 285/75R18 fits perfectly up there and doesn't hang much lower than stock.

el_barto

Reaction score
I ran a 285/75R17 toyo open country at2 and I was a fan. I prefer narrow tires though, that is just a 34 though. Assuming the power wagon comes with a 18" spare a 285/75R18 fits perfectly up there and doesn't hang much lower than stock.
Power Wagon has a 17” spare

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I love pizza cutters.
Post pics when done

Currently running 35x11.50 (285/75-18) on my ram and 37x11.50 are my next most likely

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
Just curious as to what advantage there is to running a skinny tire, other than maybe rotating mass? I am on 35x12.5 and really want them fatter, but the factory wheels are only 8" wide. Around my neck of the woods, being near the beaches and with mud, I want the fattest tire I can get.

Greenhills

Reaction score
Just curious as to what advantage there is to running a skinny tire, other than maybe rotating mass? I am on 35x12.5 and really want them fatter, but the factory wheels are only 8" wide. Around my neck of the woods, being near the beaches and with mud, I want the fattest tire I can get.
Fuel Mileage, Rubbing, Better Braking, Better road manners.

el_barto

Reaction score
Wider is typically better offroad because it allows a wider footprint = better grip.
But on road, the wider footprint equals more rolling resistance which results in worse gas mileage, and can make low speed turning more difficult. Skinnier can also help with fender clearance on some trucks (not really an issue on Power Wagons which fit 35x12.5 without issue). Skinnier is better in snow/slush on the highway as it cuts thru better. In deep snow offroad however, wider+airing down is better so you don’t sink/rut out the trail.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Many people will say when airing down that most of your grip comes from the longer foot print and not a wider one. Meaning it's more important to have a taller tire than a wider tire. I would concur from my experience. Width is great for side to side grip (lateral G's) and height (a longer foot print) is great for forward grip and braking.

Not to mention all the benefits of saving weight with a skinnier tire.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Have you see MT's new Baja Boss A/T? Available in 35x10. E load rated.
Looks awesome!

MikeXM

Reaction score
I saw a 255/85r17 listed and immediately sprung wood.

Might have to throw a set on mah new dually.
If I didn't had bought the Nitto last year, I would definitively go for those.
An inch is an inch. :D

Users who are viewing this thread