Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I have the dealer do some maintenance before the warranty expires?

dm6

Reaction score
I have a '21 2500 6.4L. The original warranty will expire in July, but I did buy the 8 year Mopar warranty as mentioned in this forum since it was pretty cheap for low mileage. Anyways, I tend to like to do things myself and stay away from dealerships because the few times I have had to bring something there over the past 20 years, it seems like I always have to bring it back because of something they made worse or didn't fix. My truck only has 12,000 miles on it in almost 3 years so I have just changed the oil myself since it was new and not really had to do much else. I do still have the tailgate recall that I need to bring in so they can check it off the list, but am wondering if I should have them check out the rest of the truck just in case there is something that needs to be fixed. I can't imagine what. If so, what do I have them do? Oil is not really due to be changed yet (I have just been doing it yearly since I only average 4,000 miles a year). I guess the tires are due to be rotated (I even did that myself last time). I just figure if you bring it in to have them do something, they do the complimentary check on the other typical stuff. What do you guys think? Should I have them do something, and if so, what?

*Edit* After posting this, I just saw a Mopar coupon for a free multi point inspection. Is that good enough? I guess I haven't checked the differential fluid or transfer case fluid in a while so they'll at least do that.

Last edited:

mountainears

Reaction score
You have the extended warranty, if you don’t have any issues I wouldn’t bring it to them. You still have years left on your warranty so no point in worrying about it now. I would only worry about anything your extended warranty is not covering that the factory 3 year is covering.

Darkside

Reaction score
You still have a couple of years left on your powertrain warranty, bumper to bumper is 3yr/36,000mi but the powertrain warranty for the Hemi is 5yr/60,000mi… I have a ‘21 6.4L with 9,000 miles and I plan on taking it in for the oil changes until the end of the powertrain warranty just so if there’s any issues it’s documented through them.

techman

Reaction score
Preemptive warranty work? No such thing....

If you avoid the dealership for all your maintenance, why trust them now?

dm6

Reaction score
Preemptive warranty work? No such thing....

If you avoid the dealership for all your maintenance, why trust them now?
I guess sometimes I just wonder if I am missing something because it doesn't seem like I do much. I change the oil every year. I rotate the tires and check the brake pads when the wheels are off. I change the filter once because it doesn't get that dirty. I check the fluids I can see. I haven't bothered checking the transfer case or diff fluid. I keep the receipts for the oil I bought but other than that, I have not done much. Am I doing enough?

techman

Reaction score
You have put 12K miles on in 3 years? Other than 3 recommended oil changes (at the year interval) there isn't much to do except you need to drive your truck more.

dm6

Reaction score
What filter?

If you’re completing the maintenance in the owners by using months then yes, you’re doing enough.

Keep the receipts and log of all required maintenance and you’re fine.
Air filter.

Ok, I guess I just worry I am not doing enough when people pay hundreds to get their cars checked every 6 months or so, but I suppose they may have no knowledge of cars whatsoever. Maybe a mechanic should have a better eye than me, but then again I recall one time when a dealer changed my oil and told me I needed new brake pads and I had just replaced them like 3,000 miles earlier. In fact, they are the ones that replaced them :) I guess I'll just let them do the tailgate adjustment then and not have them check anything else out. Thanks.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The dealership free inspections are designed to upsell you unnecessary maintenance, not to find warranty issues.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
The dealership free inspections are designed to upsell you unnecessary maintenance, not to find warranty issues.

This, in spades.

Dealers don't like doing warranty work when it pays less book time unless it's work they KNOW they can turn quickly under book hours.

Like any business, they have monthly sales numbers they need to hit and doing warranty work is mostly a ding for them.

dm6

Reaction score
I think this got a little out of hand :) I didn't really mean this as for them to look it over well to find warranty issues. I just remember one of my other cars I brought in for an oil change right before the warranty was up, they said that they have had a lot of issues with the cat converter and there was no recall issued yet but they would replace it under warranty before it expired even though nothing technically was wrong with it. So maybe I just got a good thing then. I will just bring it in for the tailgate adjustment then and not even have them do a free check :) Thanks for all the advice.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
I think this got a little out of hand :) I didn't really mean this as for them to look it over well to find warranty issues. I just remember one of my other cars I brought in for an oil change right before the warranty was up, they said that they have had a lot of issues with the cat converter and there was no recall issued yet but they would replace it under warranty before it expired even though nothing technically was wrong with it. So maybe I just got a good thing then. I will just bring it in for the tailgate adjustment then and not even have them do a free check :) Thanks for all the advice.
I adjusted my tailgate after hearing about the recall. The left side would sometimes not close as they should, my adjustment fixed it.
Then I had her take it in for an oil change before a big trip because I didn’t have time to do it, they did the tailgate thing while they had it and it's worse than ever. I will do it again when I think about it and am in the garage.

flan

Reaction score
From what I understand they have a jig to set the pins in the right spot, it’s pretty amazing they can somehow eff that up.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I understand they have a jig to set the pins in the right spot, it’s pretty amazing they can somehow eff that up.

Mine also closed worse after the recall. I took it back in for a failed clock spring and told them about the tailgate issue. They signed it off as could not duplicate, but guess what… it closes normal now. Guess they didn’t want their mistake on record.

oledirteh

Reaction score
this is in line with the emails and phone calls of "Hey we really want to buy your truck!". they dont want your truck, they want to sell you a new 100k truck and then offer you below book for your old truck lol.

Users who are viewing this thread