Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Set Up Demco Hitch

Loyalist

Reaction score
Anyone ever set up a Demco 8550035 Autoslider in a RAM 3500 Megacab dually? It will tow a Montana HC 295RL. RV delivered before Truck and is on uneven ground. Plan is to set up hitch at highest level until RV can be moved to level ground for measurements. Nervous about clearances.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Anyone ever set up a Demco 8550035 Autoslider in a RAM 3500 Megacab dually? It will tow a Montana HC 295RL. RV delivered before Truck and is on uneven ground. Plan is to set up hitch at highest level until RV can be moved to level ground for measurements. Nervous about clearances.
should be a manufacturer pin height measurement on the trailer in literature, I would think. If not, start at highest setting and move it, measure, measure, and set it up. You have the right idea.

HORam

Reaction score
I have a 3500 srw. My Demco is set on the middle height for my 2018 Grand Design Momentum.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Loyalist

Reaction score
should be a manufacturer pin height measurement on the trailer in literature, I would think. If not, start at highest setting and move it, measure, measure, and set it up. You have the right idea. not anxious to find out my clearances were not enough.
THX. Just moved from a Class A to a 5er and

bfs673

Reaction score
To the OP, I apologize I don't recall the height I set mine at. I used the rail option for the Ram 5th wheel pucks with the hitch. I don't recall needing to install on the highest setting though, likely the mid setting and everything looked good. maybe 6 1/2" rail clearance.

I have to install a slider on my '14 CCSB as my GD Solitude front cap clearance was not acceptable with my B&W companion (Non-Slider).
The B&W was amazingly smooth. Solid hitch for sure.

When I went to the Demco, I was a bit disappointed with the experience. It did what I needed it do but bucked much worse than the B&W. Same truck, same trailer.
Based on my own experience, use Loctite for the bolts holding the guides on the hitch. Mine had a tendency to come loose a bit. This can cause a pretty good "jolt" while straining out from a slow turn while accelerating (Turning a corner from a stop).

Never had a failure with the hitch and it gave me the clearance I needed for turning into non-level areas (Something my B&W couldn't do).

roegs

Reaction score
The B&W was amazingly smooth. Solid hitch for sure.

When I went to the Demco, I was a bit disappointed with the experience. It did what I needed it do but bucked much worse than the B&W. Same truck, same trailer.....
5th wheel will be new to me (always did TT's before) and so will bucking. Assuming same truck, same trailer, and same loading of the trailer (e.g. water tank full or empty) the only 2 variables would seem to be hitch height and where the 5th wheel pin is in relation to rear axle. BFS673....do you happen to remember if either of those changed?

bfs673

Reaction score
5th wheel will be new to me (always did TT's before) and so will bucking. Assuming same truck, same trailer, and same loading of the trailer (e.g. water tank full or empty) the only 2 variables would seem to be hitch height and where the 5th wheel pin is in relation to rear axle. BFS673....do you happen to remember if either of those changed?
Same to all. Pin location was relatively centered above the axle for both hitches, though I don't have measurements to prove that. It's interesting that fifthwheel hitches can perform differently.
I believe it was the movement/mechanisms that reduced the rigidity of the overall system. While not much change, it made a difference!

Same loading of trailer, same roads, same wife and dogs in the truck, etc.

The hitch performed "OK", and I'm not sure if other auto sliders would perform better, but my research led me to the Demco.
I needed a slider, as you will likely benefit from one as well. Hit my cab once, and I'm pretty detail oriented when it comes to this!

Now I'm going with the Reese Goosebox since my new rig is a long bed. Time will tell how much I like this option!

bfs673

Reaction score
Quick thought ...

My first trailer was a Cougar (333MKS). That trailer worked GREAT with the short bed and fixed 5th wheel hitch (B&W Companion). It was a 96" width and the front cap design was more forgiving than my newer Solitude.
The Solitude is a 101" width with a front cap much closer to the pin. I towed my Solitude with the fixed hitch for quite a while. I only had an issue while pulling into a campground that was a fairly tight turn and the entrance sloped down pretty bad. Just a bad combination and cause some minor damage (kissed the cab).

Your Montana is a 96" width, and likely not much different than my Cougar was from a front cap turning design. You could likely get away with a standard hitch! I believe my '14 3500 CCSB had the same bed length as your MC.

roegs

Reaction score
BFS673....good info, thanks. So is it basically wide body 5th wheels that need sliding hitches?

bfs673

Reaction score
BFS673....good info, thanks. So is it basically wide body 5th wheels that need sliding hitches?
Perhaps, It's really all about the front cap design and width. I'm sure there are some widebody trailers that would work OK, and others that are more troublesome.
The same likely holds true with non-widebody trailers.

Users who are viewing this thread