Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote start

bsbdays

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 Big Horn 6.7L Cummins. Has anyone had this issue or know what it might be? Whenever I use the remote start I get a check engine light. I used a reader and no codes come up at all. I used three different readers and no codes come up so I reset light. When I start normal with key I never get a light. I replaced the batteries in the Key Fobs. Runs fine no issues, just check engine light when I use remote start. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be or what to check?

Thanks Opie!

Last edited:

Darkside

Reaction score
Does your truck have an outside temperature gauge, if it does check your ambient temp sensor. I put aftermarket mirrors on my 2015 and there was a problem with the wires that went to the sensor, for some reason the check engine light would come on and shut down the remote start, but only came on with remote start… Took me forever to figure it out…

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Is your grid heater disconnected or non functioning

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Is your grid heater disconnected or non functioning

That should save a code, at least it did for me with remote start and my grid heater disconnected waiting on the recall.

bsbdays

Reaction score
Does your truck have an outside temperature gauge, if it does check your ambient temp sensor. I put aftermarket mirrors on my 2015 and there was a problem with the wires that went to the sensor, for some reason the check engine light would come on and shut down the remote start, but only came on with remote start… Took me forever to figure it out…
Yes it does, but not sure where the sensor is. Can you help out? Thanks

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes it does, but not sure where the sensor is. Can you help out? Thanks
Sensor is in the drivers side mirror.

Where is grid heater, not sure what that is?

It’s preheats the intake air to aid in cold weather starting, and cool weather emissions. It’s what is running when the truck has a wait to start timer.

The relay adjacent to the passenger batter and the heater is in the intake manifold.

Are you the original owner?

I see you edited your post to add info on the truck, this is the 19+ section. Maybe a moderator can move it to the correct section for you. @Brutal_HO

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That should save a code, at least it did for me with remote start and my grid heater disconnected waiting on the recall.
I know it “should” but ya never know these days especially the.

Ps the 2014 info was there when i first commented lol

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I know it “should” but ya never know these days especially the.
Very true.

Ps the 2014 info was there when i first commented lol

I read it, then reloaded and posted a bit later. The edit occurred in that time. I was wondering what year it was when I first read it. o_O

Bored in a tree stand…

Last edited:

bsbdays

Reaction score
Sensor is in the drivers side mirror.

It’s preheats the intake air to aid in cold weather starting, and cool weather emissions. It’s what is running when the truck has a wait to start timer.

The relay adjacent to the passenger batter and the heater is in the intake manifold.

Are you the original owner?

I see you edited your post to add info on the truck, this is the 19+ section. Maybe a moderator can move it to the correct section for you. @Brutal_HO
Thanks, I will try and find the correct forum. I am new at this so still learning these forums.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will try and find the correct forum. I am new at this so still learning these forums.

Your thread was moved to a suitable sub-forum.

Consequently, please refrain from cross-posting the same question in multiple sub-forums. It doesn't help and only confuses some see the same question/answers in multiple threads.

There's also no need to do so if there's a concern about visibility. Nearly all members know to use the "What's New" or "new Posts" or Latest Activity and any replies will boil the thread to the top for all to see.

Users who are viewing this thread