Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regen criteria

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Just replaced it last week

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll get some passive regen around 45-50, but then the DPF temp drops until I’m above 70-75… that’s all flat roads without any wind or load.
I don’t have any additional monitoring so my experience is just based on what I see from the trucks data. I need to invest in a monitor, just never seem to get around to it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t have any additional monitoring so my experience is just based on what I see from the trucks data. I need to invest in a monitor, just never seem to get around to it.

I did 60 miles on the interstate today at 85. Going east there was a light headwind and I was getting 13-15 mpg the whole time. The DPF stayed around 750°.

Going west there was a considerable tail wind and the EVIC said 17-20 mph for most of it. The DPF never get above 635° and would dip below 600° when the EVIC would read 22+.

So even at 85 you can have sustained conditions with minimal passive regen.

mudman246

Reaction score
I changed my air filter back to the OEM one today. 89 bucks at the dealership!!!! But I will give a update in the next couple of days.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I changed my air filter back to the OEM one today. 89 bucks at the dealership!!!! But I will give a update in the next couple of days.

Geno’s garage has them for less that that. They are always in and out of stock these days, so I keep one on the shelf and order one when I change one.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I changed my air filter back to the OEM one today. 89 bucks at the dealership!!!! But I will give an update in the next couple of days.
Just ordered the Fleetguard AF27684 (identical to mopar 53034051AB) at the International Truck dealer a mile from my house. $44.40 + tax
Same filter half the price. All mopar does is take it out of a red and white box, put it in a blue and white box, and put 100% markup on it. That’s why replacement fuel injectors for our engines are $2,500 a piece through mopar. The re-box everyone else’s stuff and add 100-200% markup.

mudman246

Reaction score
Just ordered the Fleetguard AF27684 (identical to mopar 53034051AB) at the International Truck dealer a mile from my house. $44.40 + tax
Same filter half the price. All mopar does is take it out of a red and white box, put it in a blue and white box, and put 100% markup on it. That’s why replacement fuel injectors for our engines are $2,500 a piece through mopar. The re-box everyone else’s stuff and add 100-200% markup.
That's good to know I will write down the fleetguard # and order it next time

unclelala

Reaction score
Funny, here in Ontario our OEM air filters are quite cheap as in around $50 CAD but the 2 fuel filters are approx. $120 for the pair which I think is quite a bit more than ya all US fellers pay. The oil filters around $12, air cabin filters around $20 and the Valvoline Blue 5/40 is around $120 for 15 litres

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The filters are $4 different at Geno’s. Order them at the same time as your fuel filters and save on shipping.

unclelala

Reaction score
Jan. 2022 I ordered the Geno Diesel fuel and Def caps and between the Canadian exchange rate in US dollars and the customs people giving me the wet finger I paid enough for those 2 caps to send a couple of kids to college.
Edit: and from what I remember the shipping aint free to us foreigners.

mudman246

Reaction score
Well. I drove 120 miles today on interstate and it stayed at 20%. Never did regen. I don't know. What to think

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Well. I drove 120 miles today on interstate and it stayed at 20%. Never did regen. I don't know. What to think
20% isn’t high enough soot load to trigger an active regeneration cycle. If you’re not at the 24 hour mark since the last active regeneration cycle then it won’t trigger a timer based one either. I’ve driven some lengthy highway trips and not witnessed any substantial reduction in soot load so i always assumed I wasn’t getting the DPF hot enough for long enough to achieve passive regeneration. On a positive note, you went over 100 miles without a regeneration. That’s a milestone for some of the folks suffering from regeneration frequency issues. Some don’t seem to make it more than a few miles before the next cycle starts.

mudman246

Reaction score
20% isn’t high enough soot load to trigger an active regeneration cycle. If you’re not at the 24 hour mark since the last active regeneration cycle then it won’t trigger a timer based one either. I’ve driven some lengthy highway trips and not witnessed any substantial reduction in soot load so i always assumed I wasn’t getting the DPF hot enough for long enough to achieve passive regeneration. On a positive note, you went over 100 miles without a regeneration. That’s a milestone for some of the folks suffering from regeneration frequency issues. Some don’t seem to make it more than a few miles before the next cycle starts.
My problem is mine fluctuates between 50 and 20 %. But it never goes back to zero.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
My problem is mine fluctuates between 50 and 20 %. But it never goes back to zero.
If it’s consistently showing 20% and will not go below that, my guess would be it’s either a faulty reading from the differential pressure sensor caused by some sort of obstruction in tubes, or a faulty differential pressure sensor itself, or there is a legitimate obstruction in the DPF that has built up and is causing enough back-pressure to give you that 20% reading.

mudman246

Reaction score
If it’s consistently showing 20% and will not go below that, my guess would be it’s either a faulty reading from the differential pressure sensor caused by some sort of obstruction in tubes, or a faulty differential pressure sensor itself, or there is a legitimate obstruction in the DPF that has built up and is causing enough back-pressure to give you that 20% reading.
So what is the criteria for a automatic regen. And why does a passive regen not take it to zero

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
So what is the criteria for an automatic regen. And why does a passive regen not take it to zero
Active regeneration happens anytime the DPF gauge on the EVIC reaches 50%, OR every 24 hours of engine operation. Whichever scenario happens first. Once the cycle finishes the 24 hour timer resets. When the cycle completes your gauge should be reading 0%. Passive regeneration happens naturally while you drive. So long as you are working the truck sufficiently to get the EGT’s up high enough that they warm the DPF up to around 660°F, passive regeneration will start. The trick to making passive regeneration work is time and load. You need to hold the truck under load for a long duration to see effective cleaning of the DPF. It’ll take awhile but it can bring the reading back down to 0% without an active regeneration.

steve49

Reaction score
Active regeneration happens anytime the DPF gauge on the EVIC reaches 50%, OR every 24 hours of engine operation. Whichever scenario happens first. Once the cycle finishes the 24-hour timer resets. When the cycle completes your gauge should be reading 0%. Passive regeneration happens naturally while you drive. So long as you are working the truck sufficiently to get the EGT’s up high enough that they warm the DPF up to around 660°F, passive regeneration will start. The trick to making passive regeneration work is time and load. You need to hold the truck under load for a long duration to see effective cleaning of the DPF. It’ll take awhile but it can bring the reading back down to 0% without an active regeneration.
When running unloaded, can you use tow haul and lock out 6th gear to get up to the necessary temp and keep it there (I have a 2019 2500 6.7).

I've also seen my percentage only drop to about 20% when cold start the next morning after a regen, not zero on my Scangauge II. I live in a small rural area, and my errands may amount to 30 miIes or so, but when a regen starts I take a drive at 65 mph till finished. Something that has never happened before, my last two full active regens started way early. The first started somewhere around 13 hours. On the second it showed 15 hours, was at 99% then dropped down to 79% and instantly back to 99% and then a full active regen at 488 miles. When the regen finishes, the Scangauge shows usually in the 40% range while still driving, but 20+% the next morning when started cold. The trucks DPF dash gauge will show 0%, not sure whether either is really accurate! Previously it's always been right on the 24 mark as far as I can remember.

Not sure which air filter came with the truck, but first oil change the dealer sold me the AA filter, which I changed to the AB when the Star Parts air filter notice came out. Don't recall any regen issues while using the AA. Also, in April this year I had the fuel pump recall done, but no issues with early regens until the last three weeks? Monitoring the %, hours, and mileage to see where it's at on the next full active regen.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Running in a lower gear than required generally reduces exhaust temps, so that won’t help with DPF temps.

Users who are viewing this thread