Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM Towing VIN Lookup Discontinued?

Herrred

Reaction score
I was looking at a 2022 RAM 3500 online and got curious about the towing capacity. I went to my trusty VIN Towing and Payload capacity lookup page I saved in my Favorites, and now it's only for 2017 and 2018 models. I did a search and all links that are on this forum either take me to that same page, or to a page that reads, 'Loos like you've reached the end of the road'. So, has RAM stopped any support in looking up your specific towing/payload capacities by VIN? It was so handy and specific, I'm assuming it has something to do with the capacity "adjustments" I've been reading about? Please don't send me links unless you checked them out first. Every rabbit-hole I've gone down is the same thing. The outdated link takes you to the "updated" and useless page.

Here's the old "updated" link:
Here's the new useless link:

Thanks for any help.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Max tow rating is actually very difficult to achieve in real life. What’s more important is RAWR, as that will be a limiting factor for many.

If you take your GVWR minus your payload that’s your curb weight.

For me that’s 12,300-3850=8,450lbs.

The highest tow rating over 23,000lbs will be obtained with a GN hitch. For that style of trailer you would need to add the following to your base weight in order to do the same math, allegedly, that Ram did.

Passengers: 300lbs
GN hitch equipment: 70lbs
Options: 100lbs

That brings me to a weight of 8,920, or a remaining payload of 3,380. Using the tow rating pin weight of 15%, and perfect loading that puts me at a max trailer rating of 22,533. That’s still not that realistic, but that’s what the basic numbers get me based on how Ram tells us they do the numbers.

Now, that doesn’t quite match what Ram published on the website. They said I can have a max trailer of 25,120 with my payload of 3,850. At 15% pin weight that means only 82lbs of my payload is used up by passengers/hitch/options…. So now you can see why they likely took it down, it’s full of errors and in reality you’ll max out your rear axle long before obtaining brochure trailer weight. It would be impossible for me to hit my advertised 25,120lb trailer and have sufficient pin weight, the advertised specs would put me at 13.45% pin weight in a perfectly loaded truck… not enough.

This is the best you’re going to get, and it’s plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread