Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on lights blinking when locking front and rear diffs, and disconnecting the sway bar.

brandtranch

Reaction score
2012 Ram 2500 PW, Laramie. When I turn the dials to activate the front, rear locking diffs, a yellow light blinks. Same for the front disconnecting sway bar. Unfortunately the Ram owners manual is devoid of anything PW, just the 2500 HD info only. Short of taking it to the dealer for what is am sure is a full inspection, at my expense of course, does anyone know the answer to this. I rarely use those options so I cannot recall if that is normal. Truck has 25K miles, used primarily for towing horses to local shows.

jsalbre

Reaction score
2012 Ram 2500 PW, Laramie. When I turn the dials to activate the front, rear locking diffs, a yellow light blinks. Same for the front disconnecting sway bar. Unfortunately the Ram owners manual is devoid of anything PW, just the 2500 HD info only. Short of taking it to the dealer for what is am sure is a full inspection, at my expense of course, does anyone know the answer to this. I rarely use those options so I cannot recall if that is normal. Truck has 25K miles, used primarily for towing horses to local shows.
Are you in 4 low?

brandtranch

Reaction score
Are you in 4 low?
Thank you for the reply. No, and should that make a difference? Aren't the features usable in both ranges? I kinda remember they turned green when on. Any help on these indicators helps so I can avoid an expensive trip to the dealer.

brandtranch

Reaction score
I know 4.5 gen trucks can lock the rear diff without being in low range.

The owners manual fro your truck (page 427-430) says that you have to be in 4 low for the lockers, and 4 high or low for the sway bar.

2012E-RAM-15_25_35-OM-7th.pdf
Crud. That ISNOT in my owners manual that came with the truck. Looks like I may have a clutch issue with the transfer case. Will try some of the suggestions in manual you sent me (and print it out for future reference while in the truck). Maybe I did the procedure wrong, too. If the light goes solid, then I am good?

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
4.5…front only locks in low. Lockers and swaybar can take some time to engage/disengage and have to be rolling, especially the front locker takes it’s time so plan ahead. Turning right/left while rolling hastens the locking/unlocking.
I wish they would lock immediately and when stationary.
Yes…when locker/bar indicators stop flashing and remain lit they are locked, or unlocked in case of the bar…in my 4.5.

Last edited:

brandtranch

Reaction score
Awesome, poolmonkey, I will try it tomorrow. Makes more sense, kinda tickles my memory of what the dealer told me but as I said, nothing in the factory manual that cam with it (original owner).

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
In addition, I believe you are limited on speed with the swaybar disconnected too like the jeeps. I think above 25mph it start trying to reconnect the swaybar. Like others said, you may need to move or rock the vehicle some to get both the lockers to engage and the swaybar to connect/ reconnect.

brandtranch

Reaction score
In addition, I believe you are limited on speed with the swaybar disconnected too like the jeeps. I think above 25mph it start trying to reconnect the swaybar. Like others said, you may need to move or rock the vehicle some to get both the lockers to engage and the swaybar to connect/ reconnect.
Explains why my friend with a 2004 Rubicon Wrangler told me the same thing. I also have a 2004 Sahara Wrangler but it does not have that feature like the Rubicon and the PW. The post/reply after yours says the same info. Thanks.

Buckeye6.4

Reaction score
May need to clean the lockers also if you haven’t already. Mine wouldn’t lock in and would blink until I cleaned them.

Buckeye6.4

Reaction score
Buckeye: Now you went out of pay grade. By saying "clean them", what do you mean?
Sorry I should have elaborated a bit. You will need to take your front and rear diff covers off and clean the magnets on the lockers. A lot of grime will build up on the magnets and prevent them from locking. Plus you will have new fluid in your differentials. You will need around 7 qts of fluid when you do it. It’s honestly a very easy job and can be done at home.

Users who are viewing this thread