Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about the 2018 RAM 2500 Tradesman 6.7L with rear air suspension

Bootsy1968

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 2018 RAM 2500 with rear air suspension. The other day I noticed the truck is leaning to the right side by about 1/2". It took me 5 years and 113,000 miles before I noticed this. It's not a big deal, but being slightly OCD I would like to fix it and make the truck even on both sides.

I can not finding any service maintenance or repair documentation about this air suspension. I searched online and YouTube trying to find some info about the rear air suspension, but I came up short.

I found an owner of a 2019 Ram 2500 with rear air suspension on YouTube. He was having the same issue. I watch his video and try what he did but my truck did not behave like his did:

So here is my question:

I assumed the left and right air bags would operate independently so if there is more load on one side of the truck, that airbag would inflate more to compensate for the load and keep the truck level.

I moved the passenger side sensor like this owner did in the video, but instead of having the truck move only on the passenger side, both sides were rising equally up or down. This resulted in the truck moving higher or lower, but with the same 1/2" height difference between the driver and passenger sides.

To move the truck up or down, I use the alternate trailer height and switch to normal height. I also added weight on the passenger side the bed thinking only the passenger side will inflate. But still, both sides inflated. I monitored the height by measuring the distance between the floor and the fender and using a laser and masking tape so I can keep track of the movement between the high and low truck positions.

I have the ALFAOBD software and the Bluetooth OBD port. I think I should be able to adjust some value using it to modify the height, instead of manually moving the sensor.

Does anyone have any experience "balancing" the air bag suspension or other thoughts on how I can "level" my truck?

Now I used the ALFA OBD and I got a reading on the values that need to be there. This is great. I think I see the problem but I am not 100% sure and I am having a hard time to find anyone who knows the ALFA OBD software.
one of the value is 10mm for the left and -13mm for the right. Well 13mm is 1/2" and I am wondering if the (-) sign is not a mistake.

Attachments

• tempImageMGckAx.png
    tempImageMGckAx.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    761.2 KB · Views: 6

MtnRider

Reaction score
Now I used the ALFA OBD and I got a reading on the values that need to be there. This is great. I think I see the problem but I am not 100% sure and I am having a hard time to find anyone who knows the ALFA OBD software.
one of the value is 10mm for the left and -13mm for the right. Well 13mm is 1/2" and I am wondering if the (-) sign is not a mistake.

I believe that value you are reading in the system status are "actual" values, meaning it is reading what it is, not what needs to be there. So if I had to guess the truck thinks it is sitting level at those readings?

I don't have air suspension but am pretty familiar with Alfa so let me dig around and see what I can find? Not sure if there is any kind calibration that can be done or not?

Bootsy1968

Reaction score
This would be nice. I don't know enough about the ALFA OBD .

MtnRider

Reaction score
This would be nice. I don't know enough about the ALFA OBD .

You are close.... So far you are just reading what it is.

Go back and connect to the suspension module again, then press the open hood icon. That will bring up another menu where there is a "select procedure" drop down. Click that and there is a option to set the ride height level (and do other things). You maybe can try that and see what it that helps? You still may need to physically adjust the sensors for it to make a difference? I don't have air so have never tried it myself so keep that in mind. I've messed with a lot of other things, just not that. it gives a description of what it does and how to perform the procedure.

Bootsy1968

Reaction score
I try to do what this guy did but it quit before I could enter any value and now I have the "air suspension immediate service message and the alternate ride is locked out.

Users who are viewing this thread