Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PW dial shifter and manual downshift

PhishWagon

Reaction score
Found myself in a snowy/icy environment over the weekend where I normally would downshift into manual mode on my old tundra. However I quickly realized that option does not exist on the PW. In these situations I prefer to stay off the brake and downshift to slow down on steep descent and to avoid sliding on the ice. i see there is a descent button and obviously the tow features. Not sure if either one would work on my case. Curious to hear what others do?

jsalbre

Reaction score
You can use the transmission range select buttons on the steering wheel. They don’t select a gear directly, but they limit the top gear the transmission can be in.

That said, down shifting an automatic transmission manually on slippery conditions is a bad idea. Your brakes slow down all 4 wheels at the same time, and are anti-lock, whereas the transmission will make no attempt to prevent you from breaking traction.

Soapy

Reaction score
Use the buttons on the steering wheel to accomplish what you described. Once you are done using the buttons take gear limit back up to 8th gear to get out of manual mode.

Hibiki54

Reaction score
Gear Limit buttons on the steering wheel. On the instrument cluster, your highest gear available will start to be displayed next to the "P R N D" and odometer as "-3", for example meaning you are limited to 3rd gear and below. You can do this while driving to downshift from your current gear. If you can keep pressing + up to 8 or hold + to turn off gear limit.

Gear limiting is useful when going downhill and using the engine to brake. It's also useful off-road when you want to stay in 1st or 2nd when crawling or when you want to be at a certain gear and maintain decent RPMs.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Why do people post the exact same answer that’s already been given?

Users who are viewing this thread