Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchased a 2023 SLT 5500 brand new, nonstop issues. Please advise!

satecomm

Reaction score
Hi all,

I purchased this truck brand new and I’m having issues with the factory 5” radio. I’ll start the truck and it’ll power on with the volume already on. I’ll try to lower it using the dial but that won’t do anything when the truck is started and takes about 30 seconds to actually work and lower the volume. My solution to this is to turn the volume all the way to 0 before turning the truck off every time. This is a minor issue though. The main problem is how the radio keeps crashing and randomly go blank at least once a day required a manually reboot by holding the power button.

I know a lot of people have done the 12” screen upgrade, but that’s far beyond too much wiring and work for me. Not to mention how this is a commercial vehicle that’s on the road all day every day so any downtime to fix issues is a big problem. That’s a reason why I haven’t taken it in to the dealership to get the radio looked at. They’ll park it for a week before they’ll make the time to look into it which is something I can’t afford.

My question is, I really want CarPlay so what’s the easiest fail proof method to upgrade to the 8.4 inch display? I want something completely plug and play so aftermarket options are out of the window. There are a ton of different osrt numbers and bezels online. My truck doesn’t have heated steering wheel or seats nor does it have dual zone climate so I’m just confused here on what to buy. I was hoping I could just get a bezel with the screen already installed off of eBay from a used truck but I’m being told that’s not possible without programming or additional wiring by my local dealer. Please advise!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hi all,

I purchased this truck brand new and I’m having issues with the factory 5” radio. I’ll start the truck and it’ll power on with the volume already on. I’ll try to lower it using the dial but that won’t do anything when the truck is started and takes about 30 seconds to actually work and lower the volume. My solution to this is to turn the volume all the way to 0 before turning the truck off every time. This is a minor issue though. The main problem is how the radio keeps crashing and randomly go blank at least once a day required a manually reboot by holding the power button.

I know a lot of people have done the 12” screen upgrade, but that’s far beyond too much wiring and work for me. Not to mention how this is a commercial vehicle that’s on the road all day every day so any downtime to fix issues is a big problem. That’s a reason why I haven’t taken it in to the dealership to get the radio looked at. They’ll park it for a week before they’ll make the time to look into it which is something I can’t afford.

My question is, I really want CarPlay so what’s the easiest fail proof method to upgrade to the 8.4 inch display? I want something completely plug and play so aftermarket options are out of the window. There are a ton of different osrt numbers and bezels online. My truck doesn’t have heated steering wheel or seats nor does it have dual zone climate so I’m just confused here on what to buy. I was hoping I could just get a bezel with the screen already installed off of eBay from a used truck but I’m being told that’s not possible without programming or additional wiring by my local dealer. Please advise!
Dont follow the dealers advice for anything they are usually wrong, the 8.4 is plug and play as far as i have seen @Jimmy07 can confirm

satecomm

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I’m being told that programming and wiring is required to do the swap. This is coming from one of the 4 separate CDJR dealerships locally who told me they wouldn’t be able to help me upgrade my halogen lights to the OEM LED reflectors. Literally spent over 2k on the headlights that I’m stuck trying to figure out how to use so I don’t want to make that same mistake with the radio upgrade.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I’m being told that programming and wiring is required to do the swap. This is coming from one of the 4 separate CDJR dealerships locally who told me they wouldn’t be able to help me upgrade my halogen lights to the OEM LED reflectors. Literally spent over 2k on the headlights that I’m stuck trying to figure out how to use so I don’t want to make that same mistake with the radio upgrade.
OEM reflector headlights are plug and play other than a couple of BCM changes which is easy with alfaOBD there are a couple of very good threads here with how to do it. Also the radio upgrade is covered here too it is a direct plug and play IIRC if not its only a couple of AlfaOBD changes needed, @Jimmy07 is the guy to ask about any mods he knows these systems inside and out

Users who are viewing this thread