Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pressure in coolant system pushing into expansion tank

Mbeavers

Reaction score
Hey everyone I need some help. I’m afraid I know what’s wrong but keep denying it. I have a 2012 6.7 Cummins HO. Fully deleted and getting pressure into expansion tank causing antifreeze to move over and not come back. Causing coolant system to be starved of coolant. I have changed thermostat, radiator cap, and pulled water pump and checked it, passed combustion test, also flushed what lines I could except the radiator.
All this started after the bypass line going to riser pipe failed. Could it still have air?? Or going to be head gasket
The times pressure or how much coolant moves and temp it runs varies. Nothing is consistent to tell me I have a head or head gasket problem. I have a 15,000 fifth wheel. I can hook to it go 5?miles have to move antifreeze back then roll 200 miles with no problem with temp running 197 to 212. Then pulling empty will do same thing. Is this for sure signs of a gasket problem. All help is greatly appreciated it’s a head scratcher
Ohhh yeah it’s running a H& S mini max with 80 horse tune I believe

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Hey everyone I need some help. I’m afraid I know what’s wrong but keep denying it. I have a 2012 6.7 Cummins HO. Fully deleted and getting pressure into expansion tank causing antifreeze to move over and not come back. Causing coolant system to be starved of coolant. I have changed thermostat, radiator cap, and pulled water pump and checked it, passed combustion test, also flushed what lines I could except the radiator.
All this started after the bypass line going to riser pipe failed. Could it still have air?? Or going to be head gasket
The times pressure or how much coolant moves and temp it runs varies. Nothing is consistent to tell me I have a head or head gasket problem. I have a 15,000 fifth wheel. I can hook to it go 5?miles have to move antifreeze back then roll 200 miles with no problem with temp running 197 to 212. Then pulling empty will do same thing. Is this for sure signs of a gasket problem. All help is greatly appreciated it’s a head scratcher
get some combustion test strips to see if there is combustion gasses in the coolant it could be just a need for head studs or it could be the head gasket

Gear box

Reaction score
Google-“bubble test for Diesel engine”
When you do this test- engine must be up to temp and may have to raise RPM up. You can also have scanner on engine while testing and cut out cylinders to see any changes.
Good Luck!

Gear box

Reaction score
This is also called ”bottle test for Diesel engines.

snopro

Reaction score
Time for studs...head gasket .. good thing your pushing from the cylinder to the coolant passage...could be worse and be blowing it to the oil pan...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Time for studs...head gasket .. good thing your pushing from the cylinder to the coolant passage...could be worse and be blowing it to the oil pan...
He said it passed the combustion gas test so no its not likely the HG…

snopro

Reaction score
He said it passed the combustion gas test so no its not likely the HG…
So did mine...would only pass to the coolant bottle when you got on it for passing gear in performance mode...and when the turbo brake put back pressure on the cylinders...other than that, if you just drove it normal everything was peachy...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So did mine...would only pass to the coolant bottle when you got on it for passing gear in performance mode...and when the turbo brake put back pressure on the cylinders...other than that, if you just drove it normal everything was peachy...
I have yet to see one that the combustion strips did not pick up combustion gasses when it only happened in the manner you describe.

snopro

Reaction score
I have yet to see one that the combustion strips did not pick up combustion gasses when it only happened in the manner you descri

I have yet to see one that the combustion strips did not pick up combustion gasses when it only happened in the
I have yet to see one that the combustion strips did not pick up combustion gasses when it only happened in the manner you describe.
I'm sure you'll educate me then...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Im just saying i have never seen it never said it was not possible but perhaps something else was at play like bad test kit or something….

compassstowingnw

Reaction score
I have the same problem going on but I have already put on a from Cummins reman Head and gasket with ARP installed, mine started as a bad EGR cooler that was replaced to then having coolent being pushed into the overflow bottle. Fails blue water battle test when its hot. put pressure gauge on radiator ran extra hose into cab and drive come to find that its not building pressure under boost but when it comes to a idle while making a turn or stopping at a light or sign, with out without the exhaust brake on. any help might save me from pulling the trigger on a long block tomarrow.

Cooters-Garage

Reaction score
What did you find out here?

snopro

Reaction score

snopro

Reaction score
Your feelings are correct... it's time to put a head gasket in...make sure you install head studs so you won't have to do it again..stock stud the weak link...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Your feelings are correct... it's time to put a head gasket in...make sure you install head studs so you won't have to do it again..stock stud the weak link...
You tried to tell him the same info 5 months ago….

snopro

Reaction score
You tried to tell him the same info 5 months ago….
Well..what can you do... it's not an easy job... especially if it has all the emissions on it... you're already having to stand 2 ft.off off the ground crawling halfway into firewall...bent over ...especially if you don't have a extendable boom cherry picker and building yourself a special lift adapter to keep the head controlled level until the rad support...if you're a decent wrench it still takes the better part of a weekend to do the job... baring any head work...

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well..what can you do... it's not an easy job... especially if it has all the emissions on it... you're already having to stand 2 ft.off off the ground crawling halfway into firewall...bent over ...especially if you don't have a extendable boom cherry picker and building yourself a special lift adapter to keep the head controlled level until the rad support...if you're a decent wrench it still takes the better part of a weekend to do the job... baring any head work...
Its a pretty easy job actually just a bit time consuming but thats not what i meant lol

Users who are viewing this thread